Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Richards Primal log page

Richardmac is offline Senior Member

Richards Primal log

Primal Fuel
    So I thought to myself that I couldnt really become a dicipal of the school of Grok without posting up my own journal. I will try and refraim from too much 'dear diary' moments as I propel myself at caveman speed (I hopefully rightly assume that caveman speed [given the other carnivores who loved Grook for different reasons to our own] was pretty darn quick) towards my goals, which I feel compelled to add at this time are not enirely clear to myself.

Does remaining injury free after years of rugby count as a goal. If that is a yes, does not re injuring each individaul past injury also count as goals. If yes again, then I have LOADS of goals.

Anywhoo I am a former rugby player who retired due to a desire to be able to wake up more oftens than not without wondering if I would have normal funciton over my shoulders/lower back etc. Rugby was ruining my figure skating career (glitter only covers up so many bruises), and I decided that enough was enough.

I have lifted heavy weights for about 10 years now, and have built up respectable numbers (before having to reset them due to another injury on the pitch). Recently though I have moved towards more functional movements and recently completed a cycle of strongmanwod.com.

Since doing that I am focusing more on bodyweight movements and found Marks LHT program.

I have not yet entirely decided whether I am going to do this alongside his WOW wod's (a WOW wod every second workout after the LHT workout), or alternate between a LHT workout and a WOW wod.

My goals are to maintain/ improve conditioning. I would love to complete a tri athalon. I cycle alot (hills, road, trails) and can swim, but the pounding of the run after a bike transition tightens my back up like no bodies business. I would also like to add about 10lbs more to my frame. Im 6'1 and about 200lbs at about 9% body fat.

So without further ado (how do you spell that). Here is day one of my grok log (Ill add diet to - I eat Paleo Dairy).

30/07/2012

Supposed to cycle 10miles to work (and back) but slept in after terribly nights sleep.

LHT
    Pressups 1 x 55, 1 x 38
    Wide Grip Pullups 1 x 15, 1 x 15
    Side to Side squats 1 x 35 (each leg), 1 x 35 (each leg).

Taught 3 classes back to back.

Richard

Food for today:

1. Omelette with grapes, strawberries + goats cheese.
    Gym - SIS shake.
    2. Chicken with salad (stu mixed nuts and fruit).
    3. Tuna.
    4. Chicken and white rice.
    5. Omelette with prawns.
    6. Cottage pie.
    7. Tuna.

Had little popcorn as well and a mini aero.

Richard

TorMag is offline Senior Member
    Good to see you posting my brother. I will be keeping an eye on you......
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    Good to see you posting my brother. I will be keeping an eye on you......
    Thanks Tor.

Today

Walked the dogs about 1.5 miles this AM (just a short walk).

Got my admin finished, then seemed to spend the majority of the day watching the Olympics. I swore to try and watch as many different sports as possible, even the ones I wouldnt usually be interested in. So with that in mind and at my wifes request I watched the horse riding (thats not the Olympic title, but its the title iv given it). Followed by girls gymnastics.

Just back in from about a 10mile sprint cycle. First mile on the flat, next 1.5 miles on about a 45-50 degree incline. Im alternating between riding this hill on the seat (which hits quads a bit more), or as I did tonight, riding it off the seat (to hit calves more). The rest of the cycle is a mix of slight inclines and declines (No where near me seems to be flat - great for easter and egg rolling).

Finished in about 40 minutes. Im doing all cycling just now on mountain bike. Im clipped into peddals. I find that the added ressitance from me being more upright (even when trying to be in fairly low position) + the surface area of the tires, makes for a great workout. That and once you get on a road bike you absolutely fly.

Richard

Yesterdays Food:
    1. Omelette with goats cheese and grapes
    2. Cottage pie (is there anything better than leftovers)
    3. Same as 2 (the only thing better than having it once, having it twice)
    4. Posh Cowboy food (bacon = streaky x 7 rashers, beans, potatoes)
    Cycle - SIS shake
    5. Can of tuna

Richard

Wednesday 01/08/2012

LHT Workout
    Pressups 1 x 56, 1 x 42
    Wide Grip Pullups 1 x 18, 1 x 18

Taught for three hours. In between session 2 and three I went through quick Grok workout

3 Rounds. Complete each round without putting DB's down:
    Power Clean
    Push Press
    Bent Over Row
    Squat

Easy wee workout....Roughly 30 seconds break between rounds.

Richard

BrodieMN is offline Member
    Good luck I hope you reach your goals. Pain free certainly seems like a worthy goal.

I wear dress shoes for work and my feet were killing me. I have started walking barefoot outside and I am surprised at how good they feel.

Be good,

Doug

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I'm very curious: what about bacon, beans, and potatoes is 'posh'?

Hey Doug, thanks for stopping in.

Barefoot rules. Im thinking of making up Tshirts, or starting some kind of movement. It could easily get out of hand though with people throwing their unwanted shoes. Im seeing suffragettes flash backs from history class.

In all seriousness though i am considering investing in some Vibrams five fingers. Although I am not entirely sure how they cater to ever differnt foot type. My size 11,a nd another guys size 11 might look completely different given the shape of our toes etc. Hmmm, something to think about.

I agree with what you said....pain free is winning in my book.

Richard

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    good stuff, richard. i'm liking your workouts.

some of mark's WOW WODs were designed to be done in place of a an LHT workout, but i think some of them would be great just as an extra workout. some are incredibly short, and seemingly easy, like pushing a car.

anyway, keep up on the journal.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast