Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Training today 30/11/2012
    Day 5 of PLP Challenge

Shoulder Mobility work

Pullup = 14
    Reverse Lunge = 14 (each leg)
    Pressup = 24

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Planned day off today and tomorrow. Feeling pretty wiped today. Maybe b/c its a day off from work, training, everything....I sometimes feel nackered on the days I am not really doing anything/have nothing planned.

What are the thoughts on the training and my challenge? I know this training can be done in addition to another routine but apart from the odd bit of KB work and some hill, sprint bike work I wont be doing anything else.

I like the simplicity of this but training everyday even on low impact can be hard and I'm feeling it.

Also been looking at the 100 rep workouts. Essentialy a 100 reps of certain movements each day. I had thought of tweaking that and doing 100 reps of one movement eg pressups (all variations) on day 1, Pullups (variations) day 2, Kettlebells swings (variations) day 3, squats/lunge (variations) day 4 .... back to pressups on day 5, weekend off etc etc.

I'm quite happy with what im doing with the plp challenge but feeling a little run down even though the reps are quite low. The only difference I see is that the 100 rep set up, allows for really hard work either in one workout or spread out during the day while allowing for adequate rest before the next 100 rep pressup day.

Richard
    It isn't the mountains ahead that wear you out....Its the grain of sand in your shoe.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Richardmac View Post
    Training today 30/11/2012
    Day 5 of PLP Challenge

Shoulder Mobility work

Pullup = 14
    Reverse Lunge = 14 (each leg)
    Pressup = 24

Richard
    I like your workouts, what do you do for shoulder mobility?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

I run through shoulder scareceows. Y+L's (both can be done holding wee weight discs), shoulder dislocates using a theraband and working my hands in. Other movements like that.

The sessions dont seem enough to create too much stimulus. The cumulative effect though over 5 days has left me nackered. How do you think it stacks up against the 100 rep idea?

Richard

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    the journal is looking great, man. i like the PLP challenge. it was a good move to add some reps to the press ups. but, i like the 100 rep thing better...you get way more recovery time, and it seems like you would be able to play around with the movements more (different grips on pull ups, hand positions on press ups, etc.). you could also mix in some different levels of intensity throughout your sets, like slow cadence or plyo.

i also really want one of your omelets. they sound delicious. maybe i just want some goat cheese.

i'm not one for new year's resolutions, but that time is coming up, and i'm wondering if you have any goals you're trying to reach. you're clearly progressing well on a lot of these movements, so what's next? start chasing that muslce up? one arm pulls? one arm press up? i started convict conditioning recently to get to some of these. looking at your log, i'm thinking you could lap me.

Hey mate, thanks for stopping by. Always welcome.

Thanks, I know that bodyweight work is were I want to be. After years of weights and with the niggles I have, post rugby carrier the bodyweight workouts leave me feeling good and not ouchie.

I agree the PLP challenge is awesome and alot of fun but without sounding arrogant I feel alot of the bodyweight workouts/challenges you find on the net are quite easy (im sure convict conditioning is really tough though). Marks pbf programme was awesome and worked me really hard and was a great way to get back into consistent bodyweight workouts after only ever using pressups etc as part of my rugby training sessions (and as punishments for not completing drills properly at training haha).

The PLP challenge can be done in one workout, or split up throughout the day as you see fit. You can also mix up the reps to involve different hand/feet etc positions. I do agree though that the 100 rep workouts would be more demanding (if done in one workout as I think they should be if possible), they would then leave you with adaquate rest before kicking your butt again.

I do wonder how best to progress on them to make them harder? What I wouldnt want is to do for example 60 pressups, wait a while and then do 40 more and realikse this is exactly the same as marks pbf programme?!

So I am a little torn between sticking with PLP which has options and an obvious progression in reps over time Or 100 reps which asks for more work on any given day for that exercise/muscle groups involved and offers more rest.

PLP has the downside that even by day 61 Ill still only be doing 70 pressups. Thats only roughly 10 more than I can do right now.
    The negative of 100 rep is that it is v similar to pbf which I have already completed.

Hmmmm??

Richard

Also Rob, the omelettes rock. Amazing way to start the day. Fratatta is also delicious.

Eh New Years resoltuion wise (which I to have never really done).... keep eating right. I dont smoke or drink so maybe Ill start one of those haha. Eh Id like to train for a challenge (still to be decided - maybe long distance cycle, row etc). Gain maybe another 10lbs max. Keep body fat at 8%. Thats all the training ones anyway.

Im pretty strong on bodyweight movements so Ill keep chasing you.

Richard

Monday 3/12/2012

Shoulder Mobility work (briefly)
    Still working on PLP challenge but combining it with Frequency method for the Pullup/Lunge/Pushup. The hope and intention is that I keep the reps the same for each movement for an entire week. Hopefully this lack of an increase in difficulty will stop/slow down fatigue and any possible burnout. On the flip side to this, there could potentially (time allowing - some days yes, others no) be more reps done throughout the day as per frequency method (max of three times). This will lead to an overall cumulative effect on the movements and progress on reps without burnout (heres hoping). Various different grips/hand positions will be used for the movements.

Four days a week instead of five (Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday off).
    Three sessions throughout the day. If I can only manage two or even one then so be it. No more than three.

Session 1
    Pullup 1 x 10
    Lunge 1 x 24
    Pressup 1 x 24

Session 2
    Shoulder Mobility
    Pullup 1 x 10 (Palms facing, narrow grip)
    Lunge 1 x 24 (Round the clock)
    Pressup 1 x 24 (wide hand placement)

1. Omelette, blue berries, goats cheese.
    2. Two chicken thighs.
    3. Chicken Pie.
    4. Black Pudding, scrambled egg.
    5. Salmon.
    6. Sweet Potato, Mince
    7. Still to be eaten.

Richard
    Last edited by Richardmac; 12-03-2012 at 12:49 PM.

Tuesday 04/12/2012

Happy day today - It is three years ago that my wife and I started dating together. Easily the best, most action packed amazing three years of my life. Everyday we grow stronger as people, as a couple and as a family. I am so blessed!!

Session 1
    Shoulder Mobility work
    Side to side Pullup (chin to left hand on rep 1, chin to right hand on rep 2 etc) 1 x 10 (5 each side)
    Lunges 1 x 24
    Diamond Pressups 1 x 20

As per frequency method you start with 50% of your max. Using pressups as an example my max is about 60 (maybe a few more). So starting at 20 reps is under the prescribed 50%. However, my diamond pressup max is probably about 30-40 reps, so 20 is more than the 50% starting point. This is why iv started with 20 reps. It is under my normal max, but over some of the variations I am going to throw in. These variation will only be done for one of the daily sessions. If I manage another two sessions today they will be normal pressups/pullups etc. This should give me balance to the workouts, whilst allowing me to work the movement/muscles from different angles.

Richard

Tuesday 04/12/2012

Session 2
    Shoulder Mobility
    Pullups 1 x 10
    Pressups 1 x 20

Out with dogs. Tried muscle up on those spinning circular handles the kids hold onto and get spun around on, no-one. Ok just our park then.

Session 3
    Pullups 1 x 10
    Pressups 1 x 20

Easy today. The hardest was session one because of the variations.

About to eat 7th meal of the day (I think). They have all been pretty small though.

Richard

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast