Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weird? Maybe not. Eggshell observation page

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

I used to buy Eggland's best eggs at Costco. When we decided to go local/organic, we started buying our eggs fresh from a local farm with real free ranging hens.

I immediately found the taste to be roughly a million times better than any grocery store egg I'd ever had. It was a no brainer for me that I'd keep buying them.

We give a lot of our scrap food to the dogs...Egg shells were something they would take, crunch up and spit back out and give us the evil eye as though we'd tricked them. Considering many of them will eat poo if given the chance, it's odd to find something they won't eat. Their palate has never been one I would describe as "discriminating" LOL

Since we've been buying the fresh eggs from happy hens, the dogs will jump over each other to get a hold of one of the shells. It's like crack. They know the sound of the egg carton hitting the counter and it's like a thundering herd of paws beating a path to the kitchen.

Weird? Or maybe not. I guess the dogs know the difference between good food and mass produced food too.

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Dagny is offline Member

I find the same thing with my dogs, I used to buy the cheapo eggs at the store, the dogs wouldn't eat the shells, and when I switched to local organic, they love the shells.

Timothy is offline Senior Member

Interesting... I wonder if these shells might have nutritional value to humans too in some form, or whether the dogs just have a weird taste for them.

On a similar subject, has anyone noticed that some free-range eggs have yolks that are almost orange, rather than yellow? I assume this is a sign of quality, but does anyone know what it means? Extra-concentrated carotenes?

kennelmom is offline Senior Member

Dagny - glad to hear it's not just my crew!

Timothy - Not sure about the nutritional value...interesting thought though. I read once that the color of the yolk is related to the amount of sun the hen is exposed to. The more sun, the orange-ier/deeper the color of the yolk. Since most mass produced eggs are from hens kept in small cages, indoors 24/7 the yolks are a brighter yellow.

I've also read the yolk color has to do with the hen's diet. Free range hens eat more bugs and other natural foods that give the yolks the deeper color.

Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

I think the shells in the store are bleached or washed with some chemical. Eggland's eggs are terribly white and dry to the touch. Real egg shells feel almost waxy in texture. I just wash mine lightly with water, dry, and store in the fridge.

lbd
    lbd is offline Junior Member

My hens' eggs have very orange yolks. More so in summer, but I think that is due to the carotene they get from the seeds and grasses and other nutrients from bugs.

TexasPrimal is offline Junior Member

Kennelmom- right on both counts. The deeper color of yolks in eggs from free range chicken is a function of both exposure to sun (the biggest contributor)and their diet.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Interesting about the egg shells. I always save the shells from our backyard chickens and when they're dry, I put them in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin, then add them to the chicken food for added calcium. I've been thinking lately of adding some to our dogs' food as well, so I'm glad to hear that dogs prefer the free-range egg shells.

Our chickens run around our backyard eating bugs, grass, random seeds, etc. and then eat a layer mash when they're back in their pen. The whites of their eggs are quite firm, and the yolks are quite orange. The color of the yolks is highly dependent on the hen's diet. The yolk will be dark if the hen is eating a lot of grass, and more yellow if she eats a lot of corn, and if her diet has little color, the yolk will be very pale. Some unethical farmers add dye to the chicken food to produce a "healthy" color of yolk, so beware.

Lillian is offline Member

I've also noticed the very distinct taste between conventional eggs and free-range. I used to cook my egg yolks completely through but now I prefer them runny and yummy.. I've also noticed that my dog likes the eggshells but then again, we've never given her any before this..

I was also conversing with one of the local farmers and she says that if possible, you shouldn't wash the eggs (they'll keep longer) because the chickens have some kind of sealant on them that will protect them from bacteria and all kinds of things. She usually just wipes them if necessary and sells them =) great stuff

avocado is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Very interesting. I think maybe lbd has the answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast