Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dark brown urine.. page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

This started happening to me yesterday and I'm trying to find the cause. My urine has turned a pretty dark brown, like black tea but cloudier. Some of the research I did says it could be food related but out of the list they provide I only consumed blackberries, but only three or so along with some strawberries, dried cranberries, and blueberries about three days ago, it was a single helping of about a cup (in coconut milk) other than that I've started taking Omega 3 Salmon Oil caps and a Vitamin D3 supplement for the past three days as well. I do drink plenty of tea, and the past week my diet was almost exclusively beef with dark green vegs (a slight contrast from my mostly chicken diet) but I'm not sure any of these can be responsible for the discoloration.

I don't drink too much h2o on it's own, it's mostly in tea and the rest I just get through foods. I'm going to try to drink more water to see if anything changes but if it doesn't by tomorrow or the next day I'll swing by the doctors. I was looking to see if anybody has experienced the discoloration and if they were able to trace it to anything they were eating.

Overall I feel the same I always have (good), I think I'm coming down with a cold and also there's no smell to my urine, any abnormal smells that is. It seemed darker this morning, and it seems there's something heavy in it that sunk to the bottom of the toilet -- I purposely did not flush last night to see what it looked like. Could it be residues of food?

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

PMAC is offline Member

Probably blood. You either have a urinary tract infection or you jarred your kidneys by running or other jarring activities like operating a roto tiller for example

Blorton is offline Senior Member

I'm pretty sure even weak tea acts as a bit of a diuretic. I know you don't like it, but you need to be drinking a lot more plain water if you are peeing dark.

Primal since February 2010. On seventh round of P90x.

My Blathering, Babbling Journal

moosegrits Guest

It should clear up over 2-3 days, I would drink a lot of water to flush out the kidneys. Avoid NSAIDs like ibuprofen, aleve, etc.

Are you having severe back pain (kidney stone)?

Are you running a fever?

Is this the first time this has ever happened?

Did you do a incredibly hard workout in the last 48 hours?

Do you have muscle pains?

You have to be concerned with Rhabdomyolsis especially if you work out hard. However, you stated that you might be coming down with a cold, so this might mean you have IgA nephropathy (autoimmune disease were the IgA antibodies get stuck in the kidneys). Or this could be nothing but an infection or jarring like PMAC said. I would go see you primary care doctor (regardless of it clearing up or not) to check your kidney function and a urine sample to see if it is just an infection or nothing at all.

Beets will make you urine pink or red depending on how much you eat. Blood is most always tea or cola colored at first. A small drop of blood can make the whole toliet look bloody.

Suzan is offline Senior Member

You might be severely dehydrated or having a gall bladder issue. Drink at least 80oz of of plain water a day and see if that helps.

avocado is offline Senior Member

I agree it sounds like blood as a possiblity. I would get it checked out whether it resolves or not.

Barb is offline Senior Member

I am a nurse. Actual tea-colored (dark reddish-brown) urine is often caused by liver or gall bladder problems. If this continues, I would head to the doctor for some liver function tests - could be hepatitis or any number of problems. Normally the pigments that are now causing the urine to turn reddish-brown are processed in the liver and excreted in the bile. If that process isn't working for some reason, they get dumped in the urine.

If it is a result of blood in the urine, it will look either more true red if the blood is fresh, or blackish-brown if the blood is old.

If you are just not getting enough fluids, urine is a dark amber color with no reddish tint to it.

Don't ignore abnormally colored urine if it doesn't clear up in a day or so with increased hydration. Take care!

An additional question for you - what color are your stools? These pigments that normally get excreted in the bile turn your stools the normal dark brown color. If they aren't going through the normal route and are being excreted in the urine, your stools will be a lighter tan color. If so, all the more reason to hightail it to the doctor.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

As long as we're on the subject...sort of...has anyone else noticed a greenish turd tinge when eating grass-fed beef on a daily basis?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

No, definitely not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast