Thread: Immunity boost for a week page

echoyjeff222 is offline Senior Member

Immunity boost for a week

Primal Fuel
    I'm going volunteering at a camp next week, and I have heard that we get barely any sleep and eat camp food

I want to stay healthy and most of all be energized for the kids -- I usually go to sleep around 9 to 9:30, so clocking out at 12-1 AM will be very tough. Does anyone know of supplements and suggestions to keep my healthy and energized?
    feel free to take a look at my journal!

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...primal-journal!

anyone?

JVib is offline Senior Member
    For me...no supplements will compensate for lack of sleep.
    "You have succeeded in life when all you really want is only what you really need." ~ Vernon Howard

halfbunny is offline Senior Member
    Take some vitamine C with you and try to take some private time every now and than, you'll be fine! Have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by halfbunny View Post
    Take some vitamine C with you and try to take some private time every now and than, you'll be fine! Have fun.
    what type of vit c do you take? there's so many choices >.> which is best absorbed?

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, it is really difficult for me to compensate for poor sleep with anything except good sleep.

To the extent you have any influence over anything, get those kids up at dawn and run them around all day. They'll be more likely to conk out at a time that won't ruin you.

Having other food with me when I'm out of my home environment has become essential for my tummy and attitude (they are very closely related -- hard to be in a good mood when you feel like death warmed over). Suggestions for a possibly unrefrigerated environment:
    * tinned sardines (no sugar in the sauce or just in olive oil, mash 'em up and include the oil for a really filling snack or mini-meal)
    * pickled eggs (easy to make at home and last longer outside the fridge than regular boiled eggs)
    * homemade jerky (also easy, won't last forever but will last a while especially if vacuum-sealed)
    * nuts or nut butter if you swing that way
    * hard cheese if you swing that way
    * canned wild salmon

Be prepared.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Quote Originally Posted by beachrat View Post
    Yeah, it is really difficult for me to compensate for poor sleep with anything except good sleep.

To the extent you have any influence over anything, get those kids up at dawn and run them around all day. They'll be more likely to conk out at a time that won't ruin you.

Having other food with me when I'm out of my home environment has become essential for my tummy and attitude (they are very closely related -- hard to be in a good mood when you feel like death warmed over). Suggestions for a possibly unrefrigerated environment:
    * tinned sardines (no sugar in the sauce or just in olive oil, mash 'em up and include the oil for a really filling snack or mini-meal)
    * pickled eggs (easy to make at home and last longer outside the fridge than regular boiled eggs)
    * homemade jerky (also easy, won't last forever but will last a while especially if vacuum-sealed)
    * nuts or nut butter if you swing that way
    * hard cheese if you swing that way
    * canned wild salmon

Be prepared.
    The thing is, we have a set schedule ... we have a dang counselor meeting thing at the very end of the day that we HAVE to go to :/

Are there any snack bars that are semi-primal at least? I'll probably bring along some apples and such ..

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, that's a drag. Just take it easy and do the best you can, realizing that it's only temporary. Stress is one thing you can somewhat control here, not in the circumstances but in your reaction to them.

- Are there any times in the schedule when you can take a nap?

- There aren't really any snack bars that are great. There are some that don't have too many bad things in them I think, but I can't recommend any because I don't eat them. None of them will have the fat ratio you want, and for me all of them have too many concentrated carbs and are way too sweet.

- There are some online places you can buy less terrible jerky if you don't have time/equipment to make your own.

If it's a camp with a mess hall or the like, you will probably be able to grab fruit. For some reason people think fruit is healthy but beware the carb-sugar monster that can reinstate itself and put you back on a bad cycle of perceived hunger /cravings.

I'm not a big nut person but if you don't like any of the other suggestions you're better off taking whatever nuts you like than apples. You want sustained energy, not sugar-fueled peaks and valleys.
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    That's true. I've started listening to my body the last year or so. The first year I was TOTALLY PRIMAL! and it didn't work out too well, frankly. Too many nuts and too much meat wasn't too good for me. I'm still a teenager, but the overdose of protein was causing me to breakout and such. I've moderated my eating habits now, so I basically eat most things that are not processed in MODERATION. That's the key. I actually took the raw smoothie route a few months ago - bad idea as well. Heh.

I usually have buckwheat and millet for breakfast mixed with eggs/fruits/beans or any other things that I add to it. It keeps me full for a long time. Too bad I won't be able to take any with me

I was thinking about packing some avocados, but I can imagine what my campers' faces will be like when I bring it out LOL.

Probably like a 20 minute nap, but I never take naps and I'm not sure if I can. Another thing I was pondering was my restroom habits. I find that whenever I have something else to do in the morning (ex. camp activities) I don't even have time to use the restroom ... and my body just doesn't want to go.

Sigh, maybe I'll just use this as a fast. LOL. I'm going to ask to see what type of food we get at camp ...
    Last edited by echoyjeff222; 08-01-2012 at 09:54 AM.