Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I hate advertising page 3

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

Thanks for taking it the spirit of good-humored ribbing, Noisy Ninja.

paleo_piper is offline Junior Member

I don't think it's so much of a choice as one claims. Sure, I can choose not to have a TV and not to watch anything. I can choose not to read magazines. I can choose not to be exposed to those ads. But when I ride the bus, there are ads there. I don't have a choice. There are billboards among the roads. I would choose to look at the natural environment but I don't have that choice. I would choose to look at the city around me when I go on my walk, but there are posters advertising this and that sale. There are billboards on the walls of most buildings.

Then I get it from my friends and family: "What? Your computer is 10 years old?? Why don't you get a new one of x-and-y brand like I did, I've [insert rambling about why x brand is superior to y brand]." Well, because my computer works just fine for what I do with it. I repair it myself when it breaks. I don't think I could really say it's entirely 10 years old. The case is old, but the ram was replaced last year, the motherboard was replaced 3 years ago, I'm about to replace the DVD drive and burner in a few more months once I've got the cash.

I still get the spiel about conforming. "Everyone's has a cell phone, why don't you still have one?" I don't need one. There has never been an occasion where I needed a cell phone and in the one occasion where I was in in the last ten years when I did need one (and had one at the time) I didn't get a signal.

Do I get a choice in these subtle advertisements? No. I got a lot of flack recently because I didn't watch the superbowl "for the advertisements". Why, said I. Even if they're supposed to be amazing, advertisements are still advertisements. I don't find them entertaining or funny and many of the recent ones spawned a lot of talk about misogyny and stereotypes in my feminist group.

There's a big difference between you linking your post, noisyninja (dattebayo!), and the aggressive campaigns I have to deal with in my daily life telling me I'm inadequate or defective if I'm not buying constantly. Sure, there's crap I want, but it still comes down to crap. Being able to spend very little money, working part-time and giving me free time are more important to me. I still see something in a store and I want it, but I resist, even if it's tough. But by the time I've left the store, I've forgotten about it. By that evening, I don't know why I even wanted it. I'd have to give up something I enjoy in order to have it. I don't want that.

Underwaterer is offline Junior Member

ugh, I feel you there... advertising drives me nuts, it's so easy to see through. I just try my best to ignore it. I rarely watch television, most of the stuff on TV is garbage. It drives me nuts to hear the local news as well, they just love when something big happens and it's drama drama drama! If the TV is on.. it goes to the educational channels. Wish I had some TiVo.

PookDo is offline Senior Member
    Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes.Working jobs we hate so we can buy crap we don't need - fight club

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    @TenYearStorm

Another minimalist right here. Though, I'm in college so I don't have a fat bank account. ;-)

avocado is offline Senior Member
    I'm kinda forced to be minimalist right now due to finances, and although there is certainly some stress to it, it also feels like a gift. It's very hard to simplify when you don't *have* to. It's kinda freeing.

And I hate advertising too. I hate just the noise of it, and the way they change the picture every two seconds (ugh, such visual "noise"). I hate how insulting most of it is. And I have great respect for how effective it can be. Even when you (the consumer) mean to resist, the power of suggestion is strong and often subconscious.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    I'm kinda forced to be minimalist right now due to finances, and although there is certainly some stress to it, it also feels like a gift. It's very hard to simplify when you don't *have* to. It's kinda freeing.
    Indeed. This is a common observation among people who go on "spending fasts." No decisions to make or errands to run. You just...don't buy stuff for a while. It's quite amazing how long a person can go without shopping, or at least certain kinds of shopping, and the benefits go well beyond the financial!

Danimal is offline Member
    I'm the same and written about it in my blog as well... http://danimalk.blogspot.com/

It can go in hand w/ a Primal style b/c we like what's 'real'... real food, real exercise without shortcuts or gimmicks, therefore real results. When is the last time advertising was realistic? It paints a fantasy so we paint a picture in our heads to purchase something new and shiny.. the imagination is extremely resilient, self control against it is not.

I too live very simply with the essentials.. we owe it to ourselves to have indulgences, but a lot of fluff, we can do without.

PookDo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BarbeyGirl View Post
    Indeed. This is a common observation among people who go on "spending fasts." No decisions to make or errands to run. You just...don't buy stuff for a while. It's quite amazing how long a person can go without shopping, or at least certain kinds of shopping, and the benefits go well beyond the financial!
    I get that.I disconnected my home phone yesterday because I never use it and got really annoyed when it would ring because I knew it was some telemarketing call.My wife even though she isn't Primal herself has taught me how to follow PB and yet be frugal.My wife laughs because we will wear clothes until they are literally falling apart

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123