Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I hate advertising page 2

Willow_NyteEyes is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I make my own soaps, bath stuff, and laundry soap. Some times I give it away as gifts. One time a friend ASKED ME if I could make some for her, I agreed and next thing I knew I had more orders than I could handle and had to stop making for other people.

I find the more a company advertises shows how little their product has real demand. (When was the last time you saw an ad for cardboard or watermelon?)

~ I don't talk to people with closed minds; they tend to harbor brain fungus. ~

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

Okay, I'll be the nut here -

I don't mind advertising. Some of the things they use (extra loud volume, the stereotypes, etc) I don't like. But overall I don't mind ads. I kind of like them.

It's neat to break down why one ad is effective and another is not. Some are really cool and creative (Coke has lots of cool ads). In print ads it's fun to pour over them for what's been photoshopped. Comparing foreign ads to American ones. And sometimes the trailers are the best part of a movie.

Now I don't have network TV or cable TV (the one has no reception here and I'm not paying $50 a month for TV when there are videogames to buy). So I'm not quite as inundated with ads as I might otherwise be. Maybe that's why I don't mind.

I just have a hard time getting worked up over something that's been a nearly daily part of life for nearly 3000 years. (Roman copywriters could easily make the transition to modern times).

And thank you for coming here to "advert" our attention to your blog post.

elorajade is offline Senior Member

Willow Nyte.....as an aside, how much does the Dove advertising with their "soap scum" piss you off? I literally threw something at the TV the last time they premiered a new ad.

SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Oddly, I don't mind printed adverts, in magazines and so on. I can skip over those.

But I can't ignore being shouted at by "people" that seem to think I'm a complete moron!

@elorajade My DH looked at me weird cause I ranted about the moisturizing benefits of naturally occurring glycerin and how detergents like Dove were jut stripping the natural oils so you had to buy their lotion... I get vehement about soap sometimes. *blushes*

@LX I don't mind ads, I just don't enjoy them.

MightyMite is offline Member

My issue is the completely unrealistic body images for women. I have never actually been overweight, however, between gymnastics, weight divisions for martial arts fighting and general exposure to advertising media, I've been constantly dieting since I was 10.

So I have decided to make peace with those last vanity 5 pounds on my 5-foot, naturally stocky frame. My blood work says that I'm disgustingly healthy; I'm one of the strongest women in the gym; I don't get hungry all the time; I don't have energy slumps.

As far as personal care products, it's amazing how much $$ you save when you can do without the foam and fragrance and just use Dr. Bronner's liquid castille soap for everything. (Okay, still brushing my teeth with Tom's of Maine toothpaste alternating with something from Tropical Traditions.)

LX
    LX is offline Senior Member

@ willow -

Yeah, I know I'm a nut.

And it could be worse than ranting about soaps. I have a tendency to take my cartoons too seriously. I find the tractors in Pixar's Cars to be disturbing and deeply unsettling. (A tractor is the exact same thing as a car with only differences being in the chassis. So why are the tractors treated like animals and tormented for fun? Is it some kind of vehicular eugenics program?)

A cow is the exact same thing as a human, only difference being the skeletal & digestive structure. Why are cows treated like animals and pushed over for fun... cause mean people suck and all ways will.

MichaelA is offline Senior Member

@noisyninja. I think the best is somewhere in the middle. You need to be able to find out things that could be good for you.

Not all advertisement is evil. On tv, I tivo everything I watch, I skip ffd on commercials but often I go back to something that I might be able to use... or they are funny.

My concept is to keep my eyes open. I try to get the good thing out of everything. Living "under a rock" can get boring sometimes

noisyninja is offline Junior Member

@Sir Grandma

Good point. I didn't think to comment, I guess, because I'm very unaware of how they're marketing the games on which I work. On the development side we're VERY separated from the marketing. We're shipping a game in June for the 360/PS3/PC, and we have no clue what their marketing plan is. My coworkers will find out when it starts, and they'll have to tell me about it.

Are video games marketed aggressively these days? Keep in mind I haven't been regularly seeing any TV ads in several years now.

@LX

Clever... yeah, I did advertise my post, didn't I?

@Those who think advertising isn't that bad

It's a choice. I can respect why some people are entertained or interested in some of it. I'm not. I've found that I can find the products I need without having to endure advertising and so I don't do it. I like that our entertainment sessions are uninterrupted, that we're saving a tremendous amount of money (almost $100 a month) on entertainment, and saving even further money on crap we don't need. I don't doubt that there are some good products being advertised, but last I looked several years ago, there was so much CRAP being advertised that it simply wasn't worth my time.

And believe me, we're caught up enough. Through communication with friends, reading blogs (about tech, housecleaning, cooking, you name it), etc, we know about the new stuff we want to get.

Thanks for all the replies! Glad to see it sparked so much discussion!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast