Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a biochemist. page 5

Stabby is offline Senior Member

Shop Now

Thanks! Wholehealthsource is indeed baller, and I will check out the other one.

I welcome details, even if it means learning new words. I heard it from Dr. Mercola that these sorts of things can positively effect gene expression as well as just reducing inflammation and neutralizing free radicals. But something also tells me that using the same things too frequently could negatively impact gene expression, creating a very unnatural situation. But then again catechins in Japan and curcuminoids in India don't ostensibly cause problems when used multiple times weekly.

Any further input would be most appreciated

Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

MalPaz is offline Senior Member

what do you think of the ZC concept...i.e. people eating nothing but meat? is this ever necessary or healthy in your opinion?

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

[quote]

I&#39;m unconvinced by many of the ZC/veggie-skeptic evolutionary arguments for why herbs/spices/vegetables ought not to have a beneficial effect on us, but I won&#39;t inflict the details on you unless you&#39;re interested.</blockquote>

I would be interested. The topic would probably deserve a thread of its own.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member

@ Stabby

A supplementation protocol I&#39;ve seen which strikes me as reasonable is 2 days off per week, one week off per 2 months.

@ Malpaz

I see ZC as rarely, if ever, necessary but I think it&#39;s likely healthy -- if not necessarily ideal. Personally, I would make sure to hedge my bets with lots of quality organ meat if I were to go ZC for an extended period of time, but it may not be necessary.

I think it&#39;s an excellent starting point, however, for determining your personal responses to different foods: starting with an all-meat diet and adding foods gradually to observe their effect on you.

@ Serialsinner

I&#39;ll start a topic on it in the next few days, then.

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Thanks, MG!

Now I just have to keep myself from mistaking the cinnamon for the turmeric again. Gosh that was unpleasant.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Not sure if this is a chemistry question but how I can I tell a quality multivitamin and fish oil supplement from junk ones?

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member

Hi I got a question..

Where do you stand in the "only meat" debate, is is true that the nutrients veggies have reside in the fiber so therefore can not be absorbed by the body?

And also, how does a week looks like for you? in terms of PB lifestyle.

Thanks in advance.

frogfarm is offline Member
    trudgin' across the tundra, mile after mile

Stabby: Cooking Indian as often as I do, I usually use the cinnamon and turmeric together

MG, this might be too general, but what would you say are the most important basic facts of biochem/endocrinology that a person should keep in mind in order to avoid being bamboozled by nutritionists and dieticians?

Could be good in a stir-fry. I didn&#39;t enjoy the turmeric-white tea though

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member

Wow, this is so good!

Thanks, Grokologist. So, having about two reasonable-sized insulin spikes a week (or so) actually is probably a good thing!

Another?

Suppose I want to improve my Vitamin D status in the Oregon winter, while having some cod liver oil and eating liver a couple of times a week so that I don&#39;t deplete Vitamin A (which is needed to absorb protein, right?) And suppose I want to keep a moderate, non-extreme tan going so that in the spring I can go out in the sunshine without as long as adjustment time ... but also suppose I don&#39;t want a lot of UVA, which reaches deep into the skin, so a few places have said, and also makes only a temporary tan compared to UVB.

If I get a UVB light with a narrow spectrum, which are formulated for psoriasis sufferers, will that still be able to make Vitamin D and a tan? And might it be some help with keratosis pilaris, which I finally find out is what has made those little skin bumps since I was a kid, only I never knew what to call it or what to do about it? And I was apparently supposed to get over it at about age 30, but here I am in my 60&#39;s and still have a little on my lower arms ...

<thanks again>

Page 5 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast