Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast

Thread: Ask a biochemist. page 38

Tommy7 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks cillakat,I understand your points. But you mention 1/4 c of honey. I only have about a teaspoonful to sweeten my morning coffee daily. I get my honey directly from the farm from an old couple up the street from me. Sometimes the teaspoon is small and sometimes it may be closer to a tablespoon or less....more than likely less. I eat "only" grass fed beef, bison and pastured eggs and chicken. I can't think of anyplace I get O-6 other than the small amount of almonds (about 20) I eat per day. I exercise a lot and get 7-9 hours sleep per night. I eat no grains, nothing that even contains the slightest bit of sugar (at all)...no cheating either (I'm a strong willed sunofabitch). I am trying all the better ways of helping my CAD and feel I am doing good. But then again I felt that way before and I had a heart attack anyway right....lol. People still can't believe it.....I sure can't. I've always been the "healthy in shape guy."
    So when i read about anti inflammatory properties in honey; I thought with all the other good things I do for my health, the tiny bit I use in my coffee wouldn't be so bad.

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    Tried searching the rest of this thread for this but can't seem to find much.

I read that supplementing magnesium and vit d3 are suggested along with a high quality fish oil. So far I've found great D3 and fish oils but the only magnesium I've found is a soy amino acid chelate, Is this an okay source or are there superior sources of magnesium out there?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    Do you have a ref for your honey fructose value? I looked myself previously and usually find ~55%.
    Could absolutely be.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Quote Originally Posted by erikJ View Post
    Tried searching the rest of this thread for this but can't seem to find much.

I read that supplementing magnesium and vit d3 are suggested along with a high quality fish oil. So far I've found great D3 and fish oils but the only magnesium I've found is a soy amino acid chelate, Is this an okay source or are there superior sources of magnesium out there?
    I have posted a *boatload* on magnesium. Maybe board search? or search my posts if there is a way to do that? Oh, check my linked docs below. I think i have the magnesium info linked in there.

Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Could absolutely be.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy7 View Post
    Thanks cillakat,I understand your points. But you mention 1/4 c of honey.
    ahh, you mentioned '1T' and "4 T", as possibilities for treating the CAD, I thought. Did I read that wrong?

I am trying all the better ways of helping my CAD and feel I am doing good. But then again I felt that way before and I had a heart attack anyway right....lol. People still can't believe it.....I sure can't. I've always been the "healthy in shape guy."
    I'd look long and hard and serum 25(OH)D, vitamin K and William Davis' site heartscan blog. Have you had a lipid profile that included a VAP or NMR? It'd also be worth being off dairy/calcium.

Since you already have CAD (that wasn't clear in your original post) and have already had at least one coronary event, William Davis would really be the best source of info....especially if you have a complex familial hyperlipidemia - which is very possible given that you're the "healthy in shape guy" who has CAD and who has had a heart attack.

So when i read about anti inflammatory properties in honey; I thought with all the other good things I do for my health, the tiny bit I use in my coffee wouldn't be so bad.
    Again, it's probably not "so bad" since it's a teensy part of your diet. The fructose it contains is bad, but is a fraction of teensy...so while it certainly isn't *going to help* your CAD it probably isn't hurting it either
    Last edited by cillakat; 11-08-2010 at 04:10 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by lcme View Post
    Do you have a ref for your honey fructose value? I looked myself previously and usually find ~55%.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=honey...ient=firefox-a

I have no idea where I got the 70% initially but....good grief, what if it was Mercola. lol *rolls eyes*

Tommy7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    ahh, you mentioned '1T' and "4 T", as possibilities for treating the CAD, I thought. Did I read that wrong?
    Those are the amounts that were quoted in the article I read.

I'd look long and hard and serum 25(OH)D, vitamin K and William Davis' site heartscan blog. Have you had a lipid profile that included a VAP or NMR? It'd also be worth being off dairy/calcium.

Since you already have CAD (that wasn't clear in your original post) and have already had at least one coronary event, William Davis would really be the best source of info....especially if you have a complex familial hyperlipidemia - which is very possible given that you're the "healthy in shape guy" who has CAD and who has had a heart attack.
    My father had 3 MI's and the third one killed him. I follow Dr. Davis's blog. I take Vitamin D (5000 mg) 3-4 g DHA/EPA. My Magnesium is good as of a recent test. Thyroid too.
    My recent VAP (2-3 weeks ago): Total = 184, LDL 98, HDL 70, Trigs 74, Lp(a) 4.0, VLDL 15, Pattern A

Before my MI Total 191, LDL 109, HDL 65 Trigs 87.

I think I have taken this thread off track....sorry.

Thanks CillaKat,
    Found a lot of good stuff, Still not sure how much I should be taking as a supplement. As of now I take Fish oils 1000 IU's of Vit D3 and 400 mg of MAG. The label says to take 200mg. Enough? too much?

Quote Originally Posted by erikJ View Post
    Thanks CillaKat,
    Found a lot of good stuff, Still not sure how much I should be taking as a supplement. As of now I take Fish oils 1000 IU's of Vit D3 and 400 mg of MAG. The label says to take 200mg. Enough? too much?
    1000 IUs of D won't be enough for most people. Probably more like 4,000 or 5,000 (waaaay more for some people, way less for a very few). Did you have a look at my D doc?

It's best to take mag spaced throughout the day. Some will only need 200 mg, some 400mg, some closer to 1000 mg. I tend to go by symptoms: muscle tension, feeling tense, difficulty relaxing tend to indicate a need for more magnesium. There are a few other things as well. I pretty much take a minimum of 375 mg time released mag and up to 1000mg per day in divided doses.

NTBCAMA etc etc

Will look at the D Doc, Thanks on the mag info. =)

Page 38 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2836373839 LastLast