Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast

Thread: Ask a biochemist. page 37

MikkiB is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
    Molecular Grokologist is there some way I can find out about the function of genes? In particular I want to know about the F508 gene since I have the F508 gene deletion mutation.
    This might get you started -

http://www.ornl.gov/sci/techresource...ome/cftr.shtml

The links at the bottom to NCBI Entrez and GeneCard entries are the 'gold standard' resources for genetic research. I look up gene function from the results of microarray studies all the time and these are good overviews.

Mad_Fatter is offline Junior Member
    This is a questions regarding take-at-home heavy metal screening tests.

Basically, you put your pee in a test tube with "dithizone" and this little test square (catalyst or something, who knows) and dribble your urine in. You shake the tube and the upper part of the solution changes color according to the amount of free metal ions present in the urine.

an example of such a test. http://www.evenbetternow.com/Heavy-M...creen-Test.php

So, I bought one on sale, and the top of my solution was kind of greyish, supposedly meaning that I have a low concentration of heavy metals in my urine and/or a "mix" of metals (lead for instance would turn red if it was a big part of the solution)

Not that I'd interpret this as medical advice, as I plan to get my levels tested by a doctor, I'm just wondering if this test may be a parlor trick designed to convince everyone they're full of heavy metals (and that they should buy chelation supplements to counteract this) or if this may be a legit indicator tool.

Also, I don't think doing the test at home is that good of an idea, considering possible contamination/improper proceedure etc.

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    Just reread this thread and thought I'd bump it for new members, as it is overflowing with good scientific information, and while Molecular Grok doesn't seem to be with us here on the forums anymore his legacy lives on or something..

daviditripp@yahoo.ca is offline Junior Member
    Are zombies possible? I don't mean likely but in a very unlikely set of conditions can people become walking mediums of rabies like contagion.

Tommy7 is offline Member
    Hope fully this hasn't been addressed already; it's a long thread and I didn't read through it all...sorry.
    I know Honey is basically sugar so too much is bad, but I have read that it is helpful in fighting CAD. It is said that raw honey protects or heals inflammation (?). I have read that the good outweighs the bad in this case with honey being good for coronary artery disease.
    The first info I read recommended 1 tablespoon per day while another said 4.
    Any thoughts?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy7 View Post
    Hope fully this hasn't been addressed already; it's a long thread and I didn't read through it all...sorry.
    I know Honey is basically sugar so too much is bad, but I have read that it is helpful in fighting CAD. It is said that raw honey protects or heals inflammation (?). I have read that the good outweighs the bad in this case with honey being good for coronary artery disease.
    The first info I read recommended 1 tablespoon per day while another said 4.
    Any thoughts?
    The most significant anti-inflammatories: sleep and a diet adhering to primal/paleo/perfect health (perfecthealthdiet.com)/panu.

Honey has some anti inflammatory properties but won't prevent/reverse CAD like the above will. And it's 70% fructose which equals 70% poison

It's worth reading The Perfect Health Diet written by Jaminet and Jaminet. They're another couple of Paleo/Primal scientists and the book is fantastic.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Tommy7 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    And it's 70% fructose which equals 70% poison
    Following a primal/paleo type diet, getting good sleep etc "and" using a little raw honey can't be as bad as all that

I mean after all even mark admits to using sugar in his coffee. A teaspoon or even a tablespoon of honey per day can't be that bad. I'd certainly rather use a little honey than any amount of cane sugar or artificial sweetner.

Mark doesn't seem to say anything monumentally bad about honey here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-d...uide-to-sugar/

And Dr. Harris (Panu) says to eat fruits such as watermellon in "moderation" which is high in fructose. I think I would rather have the little bit of honey.

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    I though fructose in unrefined forms wasn't so bad? I'm waiting for Chris Masterjohn's posts on honey. Dr Lustig (sugar the bitter truth) hasn't got a problem with fructose in whole food form....

I'm gonna buy the perfect health diet one of these days, but doubt I'll be able to read it anytime soon.... I have a big backlog of books to buy and read.
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy7 View Post
    Following a primal/paleo type diet, getting good sleep etc "and" using a little raw honey can't be as bad as all that
    Mark uses a tsp of sugar in his coffee daily -sucrose is about half glucose, half fructose.

I'm only saying that the honey won't be helpful if you're doing everything else right and that the 70% of honey that is fructose is something that is not at all helpful to you. If CAD is an issue for you, which it isn't *at all* for Mark, even more reason to be more careful.

Having a little honey every once in while to flavor something certainly isn't the worst thing going, but if inflammation and CAD truly are present issues, there are *huge* ways you can help yourself and ingesting up to 1/4c honey daily isn't one of them: produce, low Ω6 meats, appropriate exercise and (exceptionally important) good quality sleep every. single, night.

I love honey though...as a topical And have been known to eat 1/2 tsp or so of it every now and then. I'm just encouraging you to weight what is truly important (sleep, diet, exercise) against that which is minimally or marginally helpful and in some cases, harmful. (honey)

Mark doesn't seem to say anything monumentally bad about honey here:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-definitive-guide-to-sugar
    I suspect we all agree that there is a huge difference between 'not monumentally bad' and 'beneficial, healing, helpful'.

Fructose does happen to be bad for us....but in small amounts from fruit, it's quite possible that the benefit of the additional potassium outweighs the risk of the fructose consumption. Potassium is a biggie and most of us don't get enough. The Jaminets go so far as to chart fruits from highest to lowest Potassium:Fructose ratio.
    Last edited by cillakat; 11-08-2010 at 02:47 PM.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

lcme is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    70% of honey that is fructose
    Do you have a ref for your honey fructose value? I looked myself previously and usually find ~55%.

Page 37 of 39 FirstFirst ... 273536373839 LastLast