Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a biochemist. page 31

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I think it's really silly to consider doing calorie restriction in order to live longer... just saying.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Is it the protein that needs to be restricted or just methionine?

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Molecular Grokologist View Post
    It's not just a case of avoiding bad stuff in the food, but neither is food inherently life-shortening.

CR works by multiple mechanisms, which are (very) roughly that:

Less carbohydrate -> less insulin -> less insulin resistance -> better blood sugar control -> less glycation
    Less metabolism -> less mitochondrial ROS -> less damage accrued over time to mDNA
    Less protein -> increased autophagy -> improved turnover of damaged or dysfunctional proteins and organelles
    Less carb and protein -> less IGF and TOR signalling -> more repair and less growth, Improves immune response and decreases inflammation (organism changes strategy from outbreed to outlast)

I think that low carb is very promising, although periodic spikes may be beneficial. Low protein is also very likely to be good, but I'm uncertain if periodic low protein might be sufficient to reap the benefit.

What to eat (and do) for longevity (as far as we know) is an incredibly complex question that really merits a series of posts instead of the treatment I've given it here.

I hereby commit to start a blog that will deal with nutrition and aging research. PM me if you have an idea of what I should call it.

CR is legit, though.
    1. What would boost the immune system the most.

2. What does changing strategy from outbreed to outlast entail?

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Why don't you call your blog simply "Molecular Grokology"
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

David is offline Senior Member
    Molecular Grokologist
    My question is one I've asked a few times. Question is, why am I not able to gain 5 or so pounds of muscle when I crossfit 3x a week, eat about 120g protein, 120g of good fat, between 40 to 70g of carbs every day. I'm Mark's age, lean, 6' and 154 lbs. I do have some BF around the waistline (BF is between10-12%). My testosterone level is on the low side. What could impede muscle growth from my workouts? I get between 5.5 to 7.5 hours of sleep each day.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    @ rphlslv

Silly? Perhaps. Although I don't practice CR presently, I do fast, and I will consider adult-onset CR as I approach my 40s and 50s if we don't have a reasonable mimetic by then and IF proves to have diminished benefits (and, for that matter, the pace of aging therapy development is slower than I presently anticipate). Given how close we are to actual therapies which repair or avoid aging damage, I suspect it might be worth some discomfort in order to last long enough for the therapies to make it to market.

The evidence for its health benefits in humans are very promising, and include actual human trials as well as trials in other primates.

@ Egoldstein

Methionine restriction alone will inhibit protein translation (desirable for longevity if not ideal for short-term health), but will not decrease IGF-1/TOR signalling.

@ Bushrat

It's unclear which aspect of CR in particular is responsible. It's my opinion that both glucose and protein restriction are likely to have a benefit in the long term, each for different reasons, but there is some evidence which suggests that adult (middle-ageish)-onset CR is actually more effective at mitigating immunosenescence. Intermittent fasting may be sufficient to reap most or all of the benefit.

D sufficiency, excellent gut health, and good 3:6 ratios will go a very long way.

2. Not entirely worked out on a molecular level, but a big part of it seems to be the tripping of various enzymatic "switches" each of which affects a wide variety of transcription factors and alters gene expression. The overall effect is that cell growth and proliferation are diminished and repair and stress resistance are increased.

I can give more detail if you're interested, but it's mostly a laundry list of "x protein inhibits y protein, which is upstream of lots of genes, some of which we know are involved in z".
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for this thread MG. It's a nice educational tool. There's a couple longevity blogs out there, but nothing I have been impressed with. Whatever you name yours I will be an avid reader. Molecular Grokology sounds great to me.

I'm happy to read someone with your cred suggesting CR. I've been leery to discuss its benefits here because there's a vein of thought here that wants to increase calories/fats to lose weight (and there may be some situations for that, maybe, seems sort of doubtful though). For me IFing is CR. I recently posted my fast breaking meal and someone said 1000 calories isn't enough for a day. Well, actually it was plenty. I was full. If ghrelin entrainment can be manipulated to signal less frequently by skipping meals though IF then CR becomes much easier. I don't know if I worded that right, nor do I have a specific question, but my own experience and reading is steaming down that path. I'm 48, at that age you mention being pretty important to start setting up for the long haul.

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    MG, thanks so much for answering questions. I have enjoyed reading and learning from this whole thread. I have followed the discussion on CR for some time (although don't practice it except to try to keep bodyfat down) and believe that is the most proven way to delay certain aging processes, but is unsustainable for most people unless there are ways to supress the brain mechanisms associated with hunger. The most interesting study I saw was where a group of rats did not benefit from CR in the presence of the constant smell of food.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    MG,
    What do you think of taking quercetin as a supplement? Mostly just for general health, but i did see a study where it had a positive effect on athletic performance.

Selah is offline Senior Member
    I too want to thank you for this thread. It is obvious that you have a generous heart and offer sharing your knowledge in abundance. I am very, very new to the concept of Paleo. I am waiting on Marks book now to come in the mail and in the meantime have been reading a lot on this website. I just wanted to give you a little of my background for specifics and ask a question or two. I am a 53 year old female. I am 5'2 and weigh 134. My cholestrol is 162,I have low blood pressure and hypothyroidism. I have been off of gluten and grains for 1 1/2 years due to a positive genetic test for gluten sensitivity. I have been off of sugar and artificail sweetners for 2 motnhs now,except I do use stevia. My body fat,according to a 6 pont test is 16.9%. I have a positive anti cardio lipin gene and a CBS gene so I am limited with things like NAC and or sulpher producing items.
    I am wanting to increase my lean muscle and maybe lose some weight but if I am smaller in size and more tone then the number on the sclae is really ok with me. It appeasr from what I have read that most of this Paleo lifestyle as far as ratio is fat than protein then carbs. What are the normal percentages on the lifestyle and if I may ask what are your personal percentages? I am one of these cardio junkies that lost 50 pounds going to weight watchers so I gues you could say that I have been brainwashed. I am willing to change all of that and at the same time terrified of getting fat again. Can you share with me how it is possible to eat more fat than anything and be lean?

Page 31 of 39 FirstFirst ... 212930313233 ... LastLast