Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a biochemist. page 3

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member

I have a question.

Do you know of a study that shows as directly as possible that too much glucose causes insulin resistance? For instance, what happens if you constantly give a lab rat shots of glucose?

BTW, I'm a biologist as well. Biochemistry was my favourite subject, but I hate the lab work involved. I've got no talent for it. Now I'm in neuroscience.

Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

Timothy is offline Senior Member

MG, thank you for all the responses! This thread is gold. You've given me much to think about. I will be referring back here frequently.

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member

@ Fabmandy

The studies cited in the vitamin D council report seem to support the idea that vitamin D and A can be antagonists, but only when one or the other is low. Low vitamin D status is associated with bad outcomes in many of the studies where A intake was moderate or higher, but the effect, by and large is small to the point of being highly dubious when D intake is high. In other words, both low is bad, but not way bad, both high still seems to be good.

Personally, I would recommend biomed science just because you're going to get a lot of BS in your nutrition classes and you need to understand the systems of the body in depth before nutrition makes sense anyways. I personally enjoyed my class on proteins and enzymes (folding, evolution, regulation, the works) enormously, but my enjoyment has come largely from what I'm now able to teach myself after laying the groundwork with basic chem and biochem classes.

Take all the general classes and then advanced classes in whatever interests you, but you cannot go wrong in pursuing proteins and how they function. Very important, and complicated enough to merit in depth study regardless of your interests.

@ Mirrorball

Annals of the NY Academy of Sciences Volume 967 Issue LIPIDS AND INSULIN RESISTANCE: THE ROLE OF FATTY ACID METABOLISM AND FUEL PARTITIONING, Pages 43 - 51 looks like a solid review of potential mechanisms (I can't tell because my login to my university journal subs is failing at the moment). It's pretty well established that prolonged hyperglycemia causes insulin resistance, it's just not clear why. It should be born in mind, however, that a single bolus of glucose doesn't do this and also that prolonged hyperglycemia isn't the sort of thing which happens when people eat a natural diet.

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

Thanks a lot! I can't get the article from home either, not even when I connected to my university's network. I'm going to try downloading it from the lab tomorrow.
    [quote]

prolonged hyperglycemia isn&#39;t the sort of thing which happens when people eat a natural diet</blockquote>

Not even people on the SAD? What about diabetics?

Greg B is offline Junior Member

Could you discuss the basic structure of insulin receptors and why prolonged exposure to insulin, such as on a high carbohydrate diet, leads to insulin resistance?

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member

By natural diet, I mean diet that isn&#39;t high in agents which damage regulation of glucose disposal. The Kitavans, for example, eat LOTS of glucose, but not very much fructose, no wheat, and very little n-6 PUFA which is easily balanced out by their fish consumption. We can quibble about the fact that many (not all, mind you) smoke, which activates Lipoprotein Lipase, but the fact of the matter is that their blood glucose spikes and is quickly brought back down to a baseline rather than remaining chronically elevated. You are unlikely indeed to get chronic hyperglycemia regardless of your macros as long as long as you keep it paleo.

Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

This is Nerd heaven, thanks Grokologist.

I am currently interested in two broad issues:

a) "This is your brain on (mostly)ketones" (vs. glucose)

b) The "repair" metabolic pathways supposedly triggered by Intermittent Fasting.

"a" caught my attention after noticing that I feel way sharper while on ketosis, and due to many papers recommending a ketogenic diet in children who suffer from seizures.

"b" I find fascinating. There&#39;s lot&#39;s of research linking caloric deprivation with longevity in monkeys, for example. I am not sure to what extent this research applies to humans, but I would think it does significantly. I.F. would "trick" the body into thinking we are suffering from caloric deprivation and hence trigger these repair mechanisms. Or maybe it&#39;s not caloric deprivation but the opposite of feeling "satiated". I don&#39;t know.

Anyway, very interesting posts, thanks for the read.

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member

Oh I am also fascinated by propioception/kynesthetics and it&#39;s impact on stress.

It would appear that certain types of propioceptor feedback would play a role on inducing stress. This would help explain the benefits behind yoga, for example...

“Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

I take heart from any mention of the Kitavans, as I just can&#39;t adapt to VLC. I eat a fair amount of carbs, but all from fruits and vegetables. Perhaps I&#39;ve never been very insulin resistant, because I&#39;ve been able to lose weight just fine. Thanks again for all the information in this thread.

Sharonll is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

What an interesting and informative thread! Thank you, Molecular Grokologist, for spending all this time responding to questions. I&#39;m learning a lot, as I&#39;m sure are others.

Page 3 of 39 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast