Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a biochemist. page 29

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    @ Ollie

More or less, at least when the desired weight gain is muscle.

@ hbeck

1. Those other classes you mention would not be terribly helpful from a nutritional biochem standpoint. It always pays to branch out from what you think you'll have to know, but there are probably better places to do it. Consider classes in advanced cell bio or protein chemistry instead.

2. I've been meaning to do a big post on fruit and veg and why I'm still convinced that they are most likely necessary for optimal health, if not for perfectly adequate health (maybe when I actually get around to starting my own blog at some point in the near future). In brief, I'm not surprised in the least that fruit and veg damage different cellular structures. Many things do this, but the question is whether or not the cell is able to mount an effective response. In general, we actually find that the damage is overcompensated for, leaving the organism better off than it was before. It's a kind of hormetic effect. There is an excellent collection of articles called "Mild Stress and Healthy Aging" (http://www.amazon.com/Mild-Stress-He...843&sr=8-2com/) which I would recommend if you'd like to read about the phenomenon.

Evolutionarily, we would expect for this to be the case as well, but I've got to get back to work so I'm afraid I can't lay out the whole thing for you just yet.

@ KestrelSF

Right off the bat, notice that many (nearly all) of the studies deal only with cheaply measurable (and not terribly informative) markers of CHD like LDL levels rather than actual CHD incidence. Sure, saturated fat raises LDL, but that's not the same as raising CHD risk, no matter how much that would simplify the reporting of their results.

Palmitate in food causes peripheral insulin resistance, just as we would expect it to do given that it's a necessary signalling molecule which keeps us from glycating all of our blood vessels into caramel, but it's transient IR and not evidence for metabolic damage despite the fact that it's impolitic to point this out.

Further, what the studies which actually look at CHD incidence suggest is that high GI carbohydrate and systemic inflammation and SFA don't mix well. One of these things is a deviation from the evolutionary baseline and is arguably the causal agent.

Lastly, bear in mind that the studies cited are part of an enormous body of literature. Not cited are the many, many (embarrassing) studies which have found no effect at all of SFA on CHD risk. As Krauss et al. pointed out in their daring 2009 meta-analysis of the literature, when you take the embarrassing studies into account too, the net effect is nil. Given that quite a few negative results are likely to have gone unpublished over the years, SFA may even have a protective effect (besides its other health benefits).

And that's how I feel about that.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

bobkat is offline Member
    MG, I think you may have changed my life. I now want to be a biochemist "when I grow up" - I'm 62. Hmmm, wonder if the Primal lifestyle will allow me to live long enough to reach my goal.

That makes my day, bobkat. Incidentally, there are few better things you can do for yourself to slow the rate of brain aging than keeping active doing something you love, and people who continue "working" in some form even past retirement (not that you need to retire any time soon, I doubt I ever will) tend to be much healthier.

Many estimates are that the first workable aging therapies (partial reversal (!) rather than slowing) are ~30 years out, so take care of yourself and you may well have many a year ahead of you as a biochemist! Feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss what kinds of reading (or classes) you might want to pursue.

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    MG,

Great to have you back filling my head with answers to questions I haven't even thought of yet.

I am seriously considering doing a month long eating experiment Warrior diet style (one meal a day) any downside to consider?
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev View Post
    MG,

Great to have you back filling my head with answers to questions I haven't even thought of yet.

I am seriously considering doing a month long eating experiment Warrior diet style (one meal a day) any downside to consider?
    Also, does the time you have your one-big-meal make a difference?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Although I'm unaware of any particular evidence to this effect in humans, I would only be concerned about the body's ability to successfully digest and assimilate the sudden large bolus of nutrients from the one massive meal. Of course, the consistent fasting will tend to upregulate mineral ion transporters and the like, but I would personally be uncertain that my HCl production was up to the task.

You might consider eating a little bit of lactic or acetic acid with each meal from vinegar or lacto-fermented veggies/tea just to stimulate stomach acid production.

Many people seem to do quite well on it, so I may just be wringing my hands over nothing, but it's something to bear in mind.

The time you have the meal will make some difference, since sleep quality can be compromised by significant digestive load during the night. Other than that, I think that as long as you feel alert during the day, the timing shouldn't matter enormously.
    Last edited by Molecular Grokologist; 06-21-2010 at 02:14 PM.

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Good to see you back, MG. I never tend to have any questions of my own, but I'm an information junkie so I love reading your responses to others' questions.

bobkat is offline Member
    MG - Sorry the response time was so long. When I was here earlier I was shocked to find I had spent so much time on the forums - had errands to run. Like FF above, I'm also an information junkie. Thanks for the gracious offer of some much-needed guidance! I will surely take you up on that soon.

grokka is offline Senior Member
    MG, you have definitely inspired me as well. I knew I wanted to study aging and possibly nutrition, but I wasn't sure what exactly. You've convinced me biochem is the way to go

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Is there a supplement/drug/magic that can help with unwanted body hair?
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Page 29 of 39 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast