Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a biochemist. page 27

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Yay! You're back! You're back!

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Grokologist! You're back!

Do you remember way back when, I had a case of the runs (no other symptoms) and did a partial fast using coconut oil?

That was the first of several bouts of what may have been campylobacter jejuni (not properly cooked chicken ... talk about stupid!!)
    A week or ten days between events, I'd just be feeling okay and about ready to eat normally, and then it would come back again.

Then Miller Fisher Syndrome, now attempting to remake my life and my body. I get by with a little help from my friends, since the double vision and fatigue make driving and shopping impractical.

Mean time to start recovery: 10.1 weeks, which means that half of people with it are less time than that, but others are more. I'm in the middle of week five. Good muscle control, I can walk and do normal tasks, but the neuropathy, especially in my left hand, makes them difficult. And the queasiness is a tremendous nuisance.

I'm taking the supplement with benfotiamine and methyl B12. This is Day Five. I have been taking methyl B12 (sublingual), alternating with cyanocobalamin with folate, since this started, except for the six days in the hospital. I'm thinking it might be good to add some niacinamide.

Any words of wisdom appreciated.
    Last edited by piano-doctor-lady; 06-11-2010 at 11:59 AM.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    oooh PDL, campylobacter... so not nice. I feel for you. I have no idea what Miller Fisher syndrome is, was that an after effect of campylobacter?

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    YAY YOURE BACK! can you answer this:

The decline in insulin with fasting or poorly controlled type 2 diabetes leads to a change in adipocyte fuel uptake that could regulate leptin synthesis and release. However, we found no correlation between percentage changes in leptin and changes in insulin. By contrast, a role for glucose in a nutrient-sensing pathway that regulates leptin gene expression in muscle and fat has been suggested; this pathway's end product, UDP-N-acetyl glucosamine, stimulates leptin messenger RNA and protein, and, in turn is stimulated when there is hyperglycemia (40). Improvements in insulin resistance with troglitazone administration to nonobese type 2 diabetic subjects was associated with a decrease in leptin, glucose, and insulin concurrently with an increase in body mass index. The decrease in leptin, despite weight gain, was attributed to the decrease in insulin concentrations (41). These effects of troglitazone were not seen in obese nondiabetic subjects (42).

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Im just happy youre back! No Qs. Yet.
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

SerialSinner is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back
    “Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future.” -Oscar Wilde
    "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it." -George Bernard Shaw
    "The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass." -Martin Mull

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suse View Post
    oooh PDL, campylobacter... so not nice. I feel for you. I have no idea what Miller Fisher syndrome is, was that an after effect of campylobacter?
    Campylobacter jejuni is the most common predisposing immune event leading to Guillain Barre Syndrome. Miller Fisher is a very rare variant of Guillain Barre. Either version (a FAST demyelinizing neuropathy) will pick up your life in about 48 hours (or less), turn it upside down, and drop it off a cliff.

On the positive side, almost everybody gets over it, more or less, it just takes a lot longer than one wishes it would. And I got treatment soon enough to be spared the worst. Some people lose all voluntary motion and need a ventilator. Some older people with regular Guillain Barre never walk again. That version starts with weakness in the legs and moves up. My version (the docs call it "upside down Guillain Barre") starts with eye trouble and partial facial paralysis, and moves down. The "oculomotor nerves" are paralyzed, leading to double vision. In the hospital my pupils were nonresponsive and I couldn't follow a moving finger. Every doc, nurse, and med student in the place were borrowing each other's penlights to check it all out. Not that often one sees something usually found in textbooks.

By the time they sent me home (after six days, and treatment with six BIG bottles of immunoglobulins in a slow drip) my pupils would contract in the light, slowly, and I got back a little motion, but not all that much. Five weeks later -- still have the double vision and wear an eye patch. Neuropathy in my hands, and a few other places, and a little bit of queasiness from some effect on the digestive system's nerves. Not as bad as it might be. I don't feel like eating, but when I do I don't throw up. Luckily Miller Fisher "spares grip strength" and doesn't weaken legs like the regular type.

DON'T UNDERCOOK POULTRY! You could end up with something far worse than a little salmonella.
    I don't even want to SEE chicken again, let alone eat it, however organic and well cooked it is.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    MG,

You said you was trying to gain weight yet you skip breakfast and fast dinner to dinner. Could you tell me how that achieves weight gain? Also what would be your advice for someone wanting to gain weight in a healthy way?

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    Hey MG,

I am really wondering what goes on to your body when one is fasting. For example, I eat my dinner every day at 7pm and take in all the calories of the day in that sitting. I don't put anything into my mouth besides water and an occasional cup of coffee during the day. I have been eating this one meal a day like this for about 10 months every day. There is a lot of lauding that is attributed to IF on this website, although some have suggested that my body may have adjusted to this daily IFing and that has taken away the benefits. Also, are some people genetically predisposed to be unable to reach that lean Mark-like look and be more larger in size?

My concern is that I lost about 90 pounds over a year and a half ago using conventional ways, but that left me very feeling miserable to to the amalgam of grain consumption, eating many small meals a day, and avoiding fat like it was the plague. Needless to say, when I started eating more primal (I used to do warrior diet type of lifestyle that allows gluten-free grains once or twice a week), I noticed that I started feeling much better although I gained weight. When I went completely primal 2 months ago I started eating even more fat and less veggies. Mood went up and I felt better, but I still gained weight.

What I am starting to believe is that my ideal body composition may not necessarily be that totally lean look, although I want to check with a biochemist who knows better before I jump to conclusions.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
    Hey MG,

I am really wondering what goes on to your body when one is fasting. For example, I eat my dinner every day at 7pm and take in all the calories of the day in that sitting. I don't put anything into my mouth besides water and an occasional cup of coffee during the day. I have been eating this one meal a day like this for about 10 months every day. There is a lot of lauding that is attributed to IF on this website, although some have suggested that my body may have adjusted to this daily IFing and that has taken away the benefits. Also, are some people genetically predisposed to be unable to reach that lean Mark-like look and be more larger in size?

My concern is that I lost about 90 pounds over a year and a half ago using conventional ways, but that left me very feeling miserable to to the amalgam of grain consumption, eating many small meals a day, and avoiding fat like it was the plague. Needless to say, when I started eating more primal (I used to do warrior diet type of lifestyle that allows gluten-free grains once or twice a week), I noticed that I started feeling much better although I gained weight. When I went completely primal 2 months ago I started eating even more fat and less veggies. Mood went up and I felt better, but I still gained weight.

What I am starting to believe is that my ideal body composition may not necessarily be that totally lean look, although I want to check with a biochemist who knows better before I jump to conclusions.
    Also interested in this.
    ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>
    ><((((º> ¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.¸¸><(( ((º>

Page 27 of 39 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast