Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a biochemist. page 22

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Ha I read that article assessing the diet of that guy in Supersize Me who has eaten nothing but big macs for the last 40 years and how he makes such a big deal about how amazing it is that he's so healthy (when he doesn't look very healthy. maybe not bedridden but not exactly vital) and his point is that he doesn't seem to be getting any PUFAs. Only problem is that at the predicted amount, he couldn't even live. There is SOME requirement for them and I don't see how he could overlook that and still remain intellectually honest. But I suppose the crux is that he's not.

claude512 is offline Senior Member
    Great thread!

Actually this is maybe OT, but I would like to hear about the chemical reactions / detriments that smoking produces in our bodies...
    I stopped a long time ago, so this is out of pure interest!

eva
    eva is offline Senior Member
    and about smoking - they say that nicotine is the "only weightloss drug that works" - could you explain how that works?
    challenge yourself
    i blog here http://theprimalwoman.blogspot.com/

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    This probiotic topic interests me a lot. I still cannot tolerate dairy(cheese) without bloat/acne and I suffer constipation. Usually around 60-70% fat and the rest carbs and protein.

I started having a cup of strained goat yogurt every evening hoping to get my bacteria flowing. It lists live active cultures after goat milk as only ingredients. I have sauerkraut a couple times a week. I am in love with the sun and try to be outside like 24/7 but I tan VERY EASILY so I assume I don’t absorb as much D.

I am curious about the length of time it should take to reflourish my gut. Also, if I have low stomach acid from years of massive coffee intake, massive artificial sweetners and diet soda and smoking how this low acid will effect my gut flora. On top of this previous bad diet, I exercised obnoxiously and was anorexic(lifelong illness but I am not 'actively anorexic”) for close to 5 years before seeking treatment. I am weight stable now, but totally unhealthy digestion-wise.

Would probiotics or HCL be beneficial to try and help my body processing and digesting food? what is the link between stomach acid and gut flora?

Allbeef Patty is offline Senior Member
    I just got my blood test results, and my creatinine level is slightly low. What can I learn from that besides the fact that low carb/high protein probably hasn't done diddley squat to my kidneys. Could this be indicative of my body needing-- or at least that I have the capacity for-- more protein? I've recently started Crossfit, so may I be missing an opportunity to build more muscle?

I also took a calcium score test, and I had some questions there, but didn't want to wander too far from this thread's purpose. I'd appreciate feedback from anybody who knows any cardiac voodoo: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...-heart-experts

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    What happens to oxidized PUFAs like from rancid canola oil or roasted nuts in the body? I know they produce a lot of free radicals and generally mess stuff up but do they get utilized for the normal functions of PUFAs or incorporated into tissues? And what's the consequence of that happening (if it happens) compared to a PUFA that's in good shape?

piano-doctor-lady is offline Senior Member
    Continuing Stabby's question: if tissue, especially fat tissue, has been built from poor ingredients, like trans fats, rancid oils, fats polluted with traces of pesticides or phytoestrogens or mercury, does one have to deal with all the stuff all over again during weight loss?

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    MG, I had this mad thought today.... Could I possibly get all of my green veggie nutrient needs from Green Tea?

I know that the Zero Carb folks think that we can get it all from eating a variety of meats, and they might not be wrong, I've become less, and less interested in eating things that don't bleed, but a good arugala salad is good. Still I wonder, could I get what I need that I'm not getting from a variety of pastured meats, from Green Teas? They're full of anti-oxidents, and Sencha at least has vitamin C, so how's about it?

Bisous is offline Senior Member
    MG - terrific thread! Thanks so much! I'm a physician, and I'm so sick of nutritional advice from people who don't know the first thing about biochemistry and just parrot the food pyramid rules. (Also sick of physicians and the FDA who don't use their brains, don't stick their noses into the research, and listen to the statin drug reps for their nutrition advice...). So wonderful to have such beautiful biochemistry elucidated so clearly!

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthFriendly View Post
    MG, I had this mad thought today.... Could I possibly get all of my green veggie nutrient needs from Green Tea?

I know that the Zero Carb folks think that we can get it all from eating a variety of meats, and they might not be wrong, I've become less, and less interested in eating things that don't bleed, but a good arugala salad is good. Still I wonder, could I get what I need that I'm not getting from a variety of pastured meats, from Green Teas? They're full of anti-oxidents, and Sencha at least has vitamin C, so how's about it?
    I'm not MG, obviously, but when you say meat, does that include all the organs and the bone marrow?

Page 22 of 39 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast