Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Ask a biochemist. page 12

Molecular Grokologist is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Sweet tastes trigger an initial, 'anticipatory' insulin surge, which is then followed by more insulin when pancreatic beta-cells actually uptake glucose. Artificial sweeteners trigger the first, but typically not the second.

Your tea is unlikely to be a problem unless you're trying to lose some particularly stubborn weight. Many artificial sweeteners have negative health effects, but luo han guo has no known negatives.
    Give me liberty. Exploration of other options will be vigorously discouraged.

Wondering something sciencey? Ask me in my Ask a Biochemist Thread

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Awesome! Glad that I'm only trying to lose "coopertive fat" (the stuff that's likely to go away if I work out, and quit eating HFCS) at the moment, and can continue drinking the tea. (I actually called the makers of the tea, but if you've ever tasted Jiao Gulan on it's own you'll know why they don't make it unsweetened.)

Just before I went Primal sweet stuff was tasting AWFUL to me.

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Molecular Grokologist View Post
    Constantly elevated insulin (as opposed to periodically spiked insulin) triggers growth factor receptors and causes undesirable cell proliferation.
    What are growth factor receptors and what does 'triggering them' mean to our well-being?

And second question on an unrelated topic...

Is it safe to supplement with 4,000 units of Vit D3 on a daily basis if I don't know my Vit D status? How much would I need to take in order for it to be toxic, if my status is that I'm already okay on Vit D? (I live in Seattle and work indoors, so I don't know if this is possible)

Thankyou very much, Mol-Grok!
    Last edited by Canarygirl; 04-07-2010 at 10:53 AM.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I'll leave the first one to MG but as for the vitamin d, some anecdotal evidence for its safety is that I supplemented with about 4000IU all winter, got some sun here and there, and I'm still a long ways away from the ideal range. To be fair, I was most definitely deficient before I learned about vitamin d, but I think you're good.

Summer's here. Time for some prancing around in nothing but short shorts

Growth factor receptors are a category of transmembranous (poking into the extracellular AND intracellular space) proteins with a fairly wide variety of architectures. Some bind ligands from the extracellular space and change conformation on the other side of the membrane, phosphorylating some other protein, some bind ligands and then dimerize (form a cohesive unit with another, related protein (think puzzle pieces if it helps)) before chopping up molecules inside the cell into messages, it goes on and on. The long and short of it, however, is that they're all involved in telling the cell to mature and proliferate.

Insulin triggers a family of receptors called IGFR (insulin-like growth factor receptor) because of its similarity to the primary ligands in the IGF family. This causes cells to proliferate in otherwise undesirable circumstances, causing inflammation, messing up circulation, prematurely aging the cells themselves, and decreasing the barriers to tumerogenesis. Bad.

As for vitamin D, the established chronic dose necessary for toxicity is around 77,000 IU/day. I promise you won't get that much unless you're chomping on fistfuls of capsules. 4k IU/day is pretty good. More might be good or it might not (this isn't actually very well established yet since we've just figured out that we need way more than we thought we did), but you're almost certainly deficient given Seattle's frequently overcast weather and the fact that you don't work outside. Unless you're spending about 20+/min a day in direct sunlight with minimal clothing, you're probably not getting as much as you need (and that's if you're white, so you really need to supplement if you have darker skin).

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Seriously MG if you werent married already I would propose.

Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

I endeavor to please. The food on your blog doesn't look half bad, too...

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member
    I endeavor to please. The food on your blog doesn't look half bad, too...
    Yeah I would marry you.....wait im straight.

Anywho.

So man I got to ask, how's the perfect lifestyle looks to you? in terms of exercise , but with a huge emphasis on food.

From everything you have learned...

Work you enjoy with friends or family which directly contributes to the well-being of your loved ones for 4-6hours a day shortly after sunrise, ideally involving physical exertion and involving particular skills that you possess and are admired by your community. Relaxed, large meal of game meat, organs, and fat with heavy seasoning by herbs and aromatic vegetables. Lots of interaction with family on a multigenerational level and lots of dogs. Nap, followed by light snack of frozen fruit and nuts. Friendly, rancorless competition between members of community as play/entertainment, followed by very light but productive work in and around the home combined with social interaction with members of the community. Medium light meal of leftover meat simmered with gathered roots and vegetables to make simple stew. Storytelling and sharing of history by elders of community before sleep shortly after sunset. Wake up naturally in middle of night and have sex with loving, supportive partner.

Heavy ritualization and tradition, with or without religious overtones. Lots of walking and carrying with periodic bursts of speed/excitement/violence which further the well-being of yourself and your family and friends. Plenty of silence throughout the day. Minimally clothed.

Basically, a simple, very community-oriented, active lifestyle with fulfilling work and high quality food.

Sounds like paradise to me.

edit: I'm not sure I actually answered your question the way you wanted. Did you want a menu and a workout schedule?
    Last edited by Molecular Grokologist; 04-07-2010 at 11:03 PM.

FrankOcean is offline Senior Member

Cool

Work you enjoy with friends or family which directly contributes to the well-being of your loved ones for 4-6hours a day shortly after sunrise, ideally involving physical exertion and involving particular skills that you possess and are admired by your community. Relaxed, large meal of game meat, organs, and fat with heavy seasoning by herbs and aromatic vegetables. Lots of interaction with family on a multigenerational level and lots of dogs. Nap, followed by light snack of frozen fruit and nuts. Friendly, rancorless competition between members of community as play/entertainment, followed by very light but productive work in and around the home combined with social interaction with members of the community. Medium light meal of leftover meat simmered with gathered roots and vegetables to make simple stew. Storytelling and sharing of history by elders of community before sleep shortly after sunset. Wake up naturally in middle of night and have sex with loving, supportive partner.

Heavy ritualization and tradition, with or without religious overtones. Lots of walking and carrying with periodic bursts of speed/excitement/violence which further the well-being of yourself and your family and friends. Plenty of silence throughout the day. Minimally clothed.

Basically, a simple, very community-oriented, active lifestyle with fulfilling work and high quality food.

Sounds like paradise to me.

edit: I'm not sure I actually answered your question the way you wanted. Did you want a menu and a workout schedule?
    Actually I kind of day dream about you wrote.

Sounds like paradise to me too.

And hey if you had the time, a menu and work out schedule will make a great read

Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast