Thread: Bacon? page

croí is offline Senior Member

Question Bacon?

Primal Fuel
    Hey All! I've been Primal for a year or two now - and (gasp) never really got into the bacon craze. Don't know why, no real good reason (laziness maybe?) Anywho - my son is now a bacon fanatic and with football season starting, I thought this would be perfect for on the go, easy late dinners. However, I've noticed postings where people say they eat 2 or 3 strips for breakfast or what not. Do you all cook up batches, store them in the fridge, and then reheat? If so, How long are batches of bacon good for? I can't imagine going through the trouble of firing up the skillet for 3 pieces of bacon...

TamiO is offline Member
    I make bacon almost every day (not quite but almost) and I got tired of the mess. I started cooking the bacon in the oven on foil, so when it's done the foil gets folded up with the bacon grease inside and tossed.

For me, I will make a pan full and some of it goes into the fridge for salads. It's fine to eat, but I have never tried reheating it. My guys will will eat it cold with no problem!

How I do it (from the internet):

Put bacon on foil on cold cookie sheet with a rim, and place into cold oven. Turn oven to 400, and cook 17-20 minutes or until it is as done as you like. You will have to experiment a bit, it depends on how crispy you like it, how thin/thick your bacon slices are, etc.

This also means I don't have to stand over the skillet and can do other things while it cooks. Amazing time saver.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by croí View Post
    Hey All! I've been Primal for a year or two now - and (gasp) never really got into the bacon craze. Don't know why, no real good reason (laziness maybe?) Anywho - my son is now a bacon fanatic and with football season starting, I thought this would be perfect for on the go, easy late dinners. However, I've noticed postings where people say they eat 2 or 3 strips for breakfast or what not. Do you all cook up batches, store them in the fridge, and then reheat? If so, How long are batches of bacon good for? I can't imagine going through the trouble of firing up the skillet for 3 pieces of bacon...
    I use a small skillet w/ a lid, least amount of splatter possible. I save all my bacon grease for flavoring other dishes. Put some into some mayo last week, it was ok, not great. I don't eat it often, but I do enjoy the hell out of it when I do. WholeFools has it in bulk, a $1 cheaper than the packaged Applegate bacon & much better quality, so I can as little or as much at a time as I want/need. And it's a local bacon, excellent quality. Now if I can find & kill a local hedgehog myself as these pastured meats are really expensive man & i prefer to be a cheapskate, lol....
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by TamiO View Post
    How I do it (from the internet):

Put bacon on foil on cold cookie sheet with a rim, and place into cold oven. Turn oven to 400, and cook 17-20 minutes or until it is as done as you like. You will have to experiment a bit, it depends on how crispy you like it, how thin/thick your bacon slices are, etc.

This also means I don't have to stand over the skillet and can do other things while it cooks. Amazing time saver.
    This I may have to try! You're right a time saver and I don't think he would mind eating the bacon cold! Do you just keep them in a leftover container?

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    WholeFools has it in bulk, a $1 cheaper than the packaged Applegate bacon & much better quality, so I can as little or as much at a time as I want/need. And it's a local bacon, excellent quality. Now if I can find & kill a local hedgehog myself as these pastured meats are really expensive man & i prefer to be a cheapskate, lol....
    Ha-Ha - Completely understand!

TamiO is offline Member
    I just throw the few pieces that are left into a small plastic bag. I always cut my package of bacon in half through the middle when I open it and work with 1/2 sized pieces, so leftovers fit into a small bag.

Quote Originally Posted by TamiO View Post
    I just throw the few pieces that are left into a small plastic bag. I always cut my package of bacon in half through the middle when I open it and work with 1/2 sized pieces, so leftovers fit into a small bag.
    This wouldn't work, I don't think. My kid could take out a quarter of the pack himself. I was looking to maybe 'pre-cook' so I don't have to stand over a skillet at 8:30 PM on practice nights.

gregpoole is online now Member
    Ha left over bacon......not at my place!

Have been making my own for the last three months, just so much better than store bought.
    You are what you eat, so only eat the best!

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I usually cook 2 lbs at a time, using 2 skillets, and cutting each pound in half before cooking. Cooking this way takes me about 30 minutes. When it's all done I freeze it. When I want bacon I take as many half slices as I want out of the freezer and nuke them for 20-30 seconds.

The 2lb amount is for me only. When I have family coming for a visit I do several pounds ahead of their arrival.