Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Olympics - The Fit, the Fat and the Forties page 4

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    People often guess that my partner is about 10 years younger than he is (40) because he is in so much better shape than most men his age. Even the more active guys definitely have the wheat belly. He also has the advantage of very few lines or other aging indicators, but a lot of it comes from him just being more fit than most 40-somethings...hell, better shape than a lot of 20-somethings. I also have people knock about 10 years off my 35 and guess that I'm about 25 or 26. We've learned to associate getting older with getting fatter, and so anyone who's fit and healthy is assumed to be much younger.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    I'm sorry....Boston is a slim city? Wow....you were horribly misrepresented by a few fellas I went to college with then.
    Obesity Facts: America's 10 Least Obese Cities - US News and World Report

CDC - Community Profile - Boston, MA - Communities Putting Prevention to Work

The List: The Most Obese Cities | US Obesity Rate & Skinniest Cities | LiveScience

cdc puts boston at 22%, so not far off the leaner places like san fran. we also have a LOT of interlopers from elsewhere.

As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    I wonder why there is such a difference in obesity rates between cities? I assume a lot of obesity is poverty related, so maybe that is a factor. Unfortunately crap food is cheaper (or it is in the UK.)
    Was interested to hear Rob Wolf say in Reno they have implemented a low carb plan for Police and Fire Officers. Money talks cos they are doing it cos it costs the City so much.

many of the fattest cities contain the least-active and most-driving kind of folks. those who will decide to drive to the store instead of walking 10-15 minutes kind of choices.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    What a STOOOOOPID doctor! Ohmygawd we're in danger, we're all gonna die!!! (Did you notice his gut? I assume he's not eating gluten-free.)

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Yes ~ but I did find it interesting that several Olympic athletes felt that being gluten free enhanced their performance.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Central and South FL seems to be not too bad... but I have a feeling that the data must be skewed at least a bit by out HUGE retirement communities from out of state (like upstate NY, Mich, Penn) where the number are heavier.
    Which is why Lakeland/Winterhaven is near the bottom IMO. Lots of 55+ 'Active Adult Communities' full of transplants there.

Lots of sporty active families here that like to take advantage of the out doors.
    Quite a number of world class athletes, some currently at the olympics live and train here in my town.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

annedawso is offline Senior Member
    When we went to Orlando about 3 years ago there was a heck of a lot of obese people around. Probably cos it is a tourist destination.
    We ate in some place called the Golden Corral one night where you eat all you want from a buffet. My husband and sons loved it I thought it was crap food and hated it. There were several of the most overweight people in there I have ever seen who used mobility scooters to manoeuvre between buffet tables. W ate of brightly coloured plastic plates, I thought the whole set up was terrible.
    We did eat in some fabulous places - Tony Romas and Ming Court are two that stand out.

We have booked to go to Orlando next year and my kids immediately asked to go back to the Golden Corral -NOOOOOO.
    Think I will stay t home in the villa alone that day.

i've seen ads for golden corral, but don't where any are. even the people in their commercials are super-fat.

any kind of all-u-can-eat buffet concept grosses me out. always has.

– Ernest Hemingway

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    When we went to Orlando about 3 years ago there was a heck of a lot of obese people around. Probably cos it is a tourist destination.
    We ate in some place called the Golden Corral one night where you eat all you want from a buffet. My husband and sons loved it I thought it was crap food and hated it. There were several of the most overweight people in there I have ever seen who used mobility scooters to manoeuvre between buffet tables. W ate of brightly coloured plastic plates, I thought the whole set up was terrible.
    We did eat in some fabulous places - Tony Romas and Ming Court are two that stand out.

We have booked to go to Orlando next year and my kids immediately asked to go back to the Golden Corral -NOOOOOO.
    Think I will stay t home in the villa alone that day.
    Yes... the Orlando/Kissimmee area is FULL of tourists.
    There are several entire subdivisions of homes, timeshare condos, and rental apartments in our county (just next door to Kissimmee/Disney) that are nothing but tourist rents. An entire Disney themed superWalmart was built there to service the mostly tourist community.
    And that doesn't even begin to cover the hotel industry.
    There is Disney Word, Disney World resorts, Sea World, and Universal studios all in close proximity... plus the down town convention center, and a Major sports team.
    I'm pretty sure Orlando/Kissimmee is tourist HELL. At least a hell made of tourists for many of us who live in the area.

Also... Golden Corral... EEEWWWWwwwwwwww.
    Huge buffet full of mostly the worst of SAD ever... breaded, fried, starchy, bleh.
    I have been into one a couple of times under protest because husbands father from out of town choose it.
    I hit the salad bar and did my best.
    And that was pre-Primal.

Between the tourists, the retiree transplants, and the snow-birds (retirees that only live here in winter)... it's a running joke that no one who lives here is actually FROM Florida.
    Last edited by cori93437; 08-02-2012 at 02:16 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast