Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 46

Thread: Olympics - The Fit, the Fat and the Forties page 2

  1. #11
    oxide's Avatar
    oxide is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    MD/VA/DC
    Posts
    1,106
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    Despite doing several high intensity gym sessions a week and eating relatively clean I struggle to maintain a healthy weight.
    "Eating clean"... are you following the Eat Clean protocol as espoused by Tosca Reno and others? The protocol that recommends that you pack a cooler of raw veggies, eat six meals a day "to keep your metabolism up," eat whole grains in moderation, drink three liters of water, and eat steel-cut -- gotta be steel-cut -- oats for breakfast?

    I tried this and I gained 3 pounds in 3 weeks. And had to pee every 30 minutes. No thank you! The only thing that seems to work consistently is to primalize the pantry cold turkey.

    I noticed the fleshy coaches too.
    5'0" female, 43 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Current weight: skinny-fat 106.5 lbs because of sugar cheating.

    MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I aim for 80-90 g carb/day and advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

  2. #12
    annedawso's Avatar
    annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by oxide View Post
    "Eating clean"... are you following the Eat Clean protocol as espoused by Tosca Reno and others? The protocol that recommends that you pack a cooler of raw veggies, eat six meals a day "to keep your metabolism up," eat whole grains in moderation, drink three liters of water, and eat steel-cut -- gotta be steel-cut -- oats for breakfast?

    I tried this and I gained 3 pounds in 3 weeks. And had to pee every 30 minutes. No thank you! The only thing that seems to work consistently is to primalize the pantry cold turkey.
    I noticed the fleshy coaches too.
    My "eating clean" is 2 boiled eggs for breakfast, meat with salad and olive oil dressing for lunch, meat/ fish with veg for tea.
    My downfalls are having a couple of pieces of dark chocolate and a bottle of coke zero once a day.
    It doesn't take much to stop me losing weight - the joys of being in my 40's.

    Now that I have gone primal it has made me really notice how many obese people there are around. I don't think I had really noticed before then. I was even more surprised to see so many at the Olympics. When will Public Health policy change.

  3. #13
    cantare's Avatar
    cantare is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    SF Bay Area, California
    Posts
    310
    Quote Originally Posted by Leida View Post
    It is actually very normal for athletes to gain a lot of weight once they stop training (i.e. become couches). In training the competitive athletes put in 6-8 hrs a day expanding huge resource, having huge external pressures to improve, i.e. intensifying their training. A lay person just doesn't have the time and drive to keep up with something like that, while the dietary changes are not as severe. Hence, a layer of fat. When I stopped swimming competitively at about 13 y.o (the crash of my very unsuccessful carrier, but still I was swimming 1.5 hrs 6 days a week), my mother was on me like a hawk to make sure I ate less. She knew what she was doing since she was a hurdler till she was 16 and went to the Uni (far more successful hurdler than i was a swimmer, lol!) and have faced an almost immediate weight gain.
    Perhaps if athletes didn't train and habituate as carbo-loading sugar burners in the first place, then their appetites might naturally mirror their decreased activity level upon retirement, and they wouldn't blow up.
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

    “Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

  4. #14
    Jaradel's Avatar
    Jaradel is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    256
    Quote Originally Posted by annedawso View Post
    Now that I have gone primal it has made me really notice how many obese people there are around. I don't think I had really noticed before then. I was even more surprised to see so many at the Olympics. When will Public Health policy change.
    This, so much this. I know I've said this somewhere else, that I felt like I was seeing the world with new eyes once I started eating Primal. As far as when the public health policy will change, well... at least in America, it'll be when Big Agra and Big Pharma no longer have the money to "buy" the government.

    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

  5. #15
    noodletoy's Avatar
    noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    land of the glass pinecones
    Posts
    2,313
    i live in a relatively slim city, but we are inundated with tourists. before they even open their mouths to expose their accents, i can tell the people who are not from here because they are utterly enormous.

    the only exception is marathon weekend!
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

    – Ernest Hemingway

  6. #16
    sbhikes's Avatar
    sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    8,724
    I'm sort of surprised how chunky the female swimmers and divers looked. Not all of them, but some of them. I haven't been watching much of the olympics but I glanced at it last night.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

  7. #17
    dragonjax's Avatar
    dragonjax is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Upstate NY
    Posts
    1,303
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaradel View Post
    I know I've said this somewhere else, that I felt like I was seeing the world with new eyes once I started eating Primal.
    YES.

    And it's both utterly stunning and quite upsetting to see how normal it is for people to be obese. These days, seeing adults (AND TEENAGERS!!!) who are lean is rare. (And not in a steak sort of way!)

  8. #18
    pace2race's Avatar
    pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Far Side of Hard
    Posts
    216
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    I'm sort of surprised how chunky the female swimmers and divers looked. Not all of them, but some of them. I haven't been watching much of the olympics but I glanced at it last night.
    Remember the camera adds 10 pounds. Who knows how much the HD camera adds. The suits are very form fitting also. Although I haven't seen too much fat on the women's sand volleyball courts. My new favorite Olympic "sport".
    Last edited by pace2race; 07-30-2012 at 05:47 PM.

  9. #19
    annedawso's Avatar
    annedawso is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Liverpool UK
    Posts
    210
    Quote Originally Posted by JackieKessler View Post
    YES.

    And it's both utterly stunning and quite upsetting to see how normal it is for people to be obese. These days, seeing adults (AND TEENAGERS!!!) who are lean is rare. (And not in a steak sort of way!)
    In Liverpool, UK I would say it seems abut 50% overweight and 50% normal weight here. I can remember though years ago we would comment on all the overweight Americans in comparison to the UK and now we are nearly as bad.
    I find it quite disturbing, I don't know why I haven't noticed before. I cant help now but mentally note each person I see as to whether the are overweight or not. It is my new pre-occupation.
    I could cry when I see them buying 0% yogurts and low fat this and that. I feel like saying something but you know you cant.
    I was talking to some bloke in the gym during circuit training and he was commenting on how fit I was (wayhay) I told him about paleo and his eyes glazed over and he told me he was going to drink low fat milk shakes for a month to lose weight quickly.

  10. #20
    Lynna's Avatar
    Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Newark, Delaware USA
    Posts
    1,706
    Interesting write-up re:swimmers and body fat

    Sportscience Compeat: Swimmers: Body fat mystery!

    and here

    Swimmers - Is fatter faster?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •