Thread: I found Paleo heaven in San Francisco page

KestrelSF is offline Senior Member

I went shopping today at Bi-Rite in San Francisco, which I had seen before but hadn't thought to go into. Man, this place is paleo heaven!

www.biritemarket.com

They have grass fed beef, wild caught seafood, organic veggies, free range poultry / eggs, flax seeds, various oils, even rendered duck fat. They make a big fuss about using local, sustainable organic sources. And what other grocery store has a plug for The Omnivore's Dillemma on it?

It is rather small, but they really do pack a lot of good stuff in there. The staff was insanely helpful and helped me find a couple of items. They recommended the duck fat and I'm trying that. It can be pretty damn crowded in there, but I guess no worse than Trader Joes. And yes, it's pretty damn pricey. Including a $30 brisket I got for dinner tomorrow, I ran up a $200 tab. Granted, I am sure I would have paid at least that much at Whole Paycheck.

If you are living in SF, I'd suggest checking it out. If you are already paying whole foods prices, why not go shop at a place that has better quality and not run by a jerk?

Apathy is tyranny's greatest ally.

hfox is offline Junior Member

Kestrel, thanks for posting this. I live in SF (around the Sunset District), and have been meaning to check out Bi-Rite for a while now. Sounds like a lovely place and worth the trip.

primal pete is offline Senior Member

I'm in SF too, and a place like this is exactly what I've been looking for. Thanks for the post!

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

Awesome find, Kestrel!!!

(Scheduling a trip to the Mish...)

You guys know about the Farmers' Markets Wednesday and Sunday at UN Plaza, right? Just checkin'...

Jeez, there's starting to be a bunch of us here in SF, which is super-cool!!!

kam904s is offline Member

I'd like to put a plug in for Dittmer's butcher shop if you're ever in Mountain View. Best. Bacon. Ever. Also the Milk Pail Market is filled with amazing, organic produce...and really really cheap dark chocolate. I'm going to miss it so much!

lars1000 is offline Member

Oh hell yeah! Dittmer's is great. Herr Dittmer will gladly sell you a 5lb slab of pork belly.

I'll have to check out Bi-Rite next time I'm up in SF.

Lady Grok is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So glad I found this! I am right across the bridge in Marin, so I will need to do a small field trip- sounds like it's worth it!