Thread: I don't understand the point of this. page

mrexec1986 is offline Junior Member

I don't understand the point of this.

I happened to stumble across this article online, wtf?

Trans Fatty Acids

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    it's a vegetarian site that says butter is bad, but so is vegetable oil, so eat more avocado and nuts
    beautiful
    yeah you are

Build a man a fire and he's warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.

mrexec1986 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    it's a vegetarian site that says butter is bad, but so is vegetable oil, so eat more avocado and nuts
    I am just confused here. Are they seriously promoting artificial trans fats over saturated fats? Holy cow.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mrexec1986 View Post
    I am just confused here. Are they seriously promoting artificial trans fats over saturated fats? Holy cow.
    I had a roomie insist that all the food coloring, chemicals & preservatives helped preserve him, keeping him young & living longer. I explained that pickling your brain's neurons & any/all of the body's organs, through excessive & long term alcohol intake, for example, is NOT a good way to preserve or enhance health or longevity. Yes, he was a heavy drinker (this was college..) Some people insist on being idiots, contrary to evidence surrounding them or presented to them. This trans fats article seems to fit that classification.

I saw hydrogenated salmon oil once, as an ingredient, mindboggling!
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    there are different types of trans fats. The artificial trans fats in stuff like Crisco is a different chemical structure then the natural trans fats in dairy. IOW not all trans fats are bad for you. You body knows what to do with these dairy trans fats
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Basically the author says trans fats have been around for a long time, both trans fats and saturated fats are bad, therefore eat foods with low saturated + trans fats, such as margarine.

The problem is there are different types of trans fats, which have different effects. Vaccenic acid (a natural trans fat) isn't taken up into phospholipid membranes whereas elaidic acid (an artifical trans fat) is.

The only argument used against saturated fat was increasing LDL. They then say trans fats raise LDL, but we (royal we) don't know how. But we do know, or at least have enough evidence that suggests elaidic acid increases cholesterol ester transfer protein, which is responsible for it decreasing HDL-C and increasing LDL-C.

They also say trans fats increase Lp(A) (a risk factor) but don't mention that saturated fat decreases Lp(A)

Artificial trans fats also have many other undesirable effects that saturated fat and natural trans fats do not have.

A very poor article that might be taken seriously 20 years ago, but definitely not now.