• Crossfit

12 34.29%
  • P90X

4 11.43%
  • PBF

21 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm having a hard time deciding between P90X and my local Crossfit Gym page

linuxguy0481 is offline Member

I'm having a hard time deciding between P90X and my local Crossfit Gym

Primal Fuel
    I'm currently 30 pounds overweight. Believe I have the gut to show for it. I am eating Primal/Paleo with eating cheat meals 20% of the time. The house I live in was built in 1978 and does not have high ceilings. It's a weird house. Not the best house to workout in. I do have a pull up/dip station downstairs. But I can't do any muscle ups. I also tried the garage but even lower ceilings in there too.

It's very hard for me to pick Crossfit. I have read a lot of forums! It's all mixed reviews so far. Some people love it or hate it. Also read that it's good that it gets people in shape but at a cost of overtraining. Since I'm a student I will pay $85 a month for it. I already have all the equipment to do P90X and the space I do have is adequate but not ideal for it.

Since I'm such a newbie to fitness I can't create my own workout routine. I'm the type of guy that likes to have guidance in my workouts either with videos or in person from a personal trainer. I do have a Globo Gym by my house too. But I would not know where to start when I go inside.

My goals are to change my one pack into a six pack. Basically to look like a Spartan warrior and have the strength to show for it. I even did a google search on what type of body you can expect from doing Crossfit. Never heard the word "ripped" just the "sexiest". I know that's not they are aiming for but it will be a very nice side effect.

There are pros and cons to both. I had a short meeting with the owner of my local Crossfit. He recommended I come in four days a week if I decide to join. Which is better than P90X's six days a week schedule.

Just looking for suggestions. Thank you.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    There is nothing saying that you have to follow P90x or your CrossFit gym owner's recommendations exactly. You can go to crossfit 2 or 3 times a week and get plenty of benefit. You can do P90X 2-3 times a week, or cut the workouts in half and still get most of the benefit without the overtraining.

My wife and I got burned out very quickly doing P90X. I'm in the military, so I work out with them 2-3 times per week. When I started Stronglifts, I was overtraining. I adjusted down to lifting only twice a week, rather than the recommended 3 times.

My suggestion is to read PBF until you understand the concepts behind it:
    1. Lots of slow movement (walking is great, or biking slowly).
    2. Lift heavy things 2-3 times per week. More than that and you are likely not recovering properly.
    3. Very high intensity exercise (sprints of some sort) once per week.

Those are good starting numbers, and you can adjust up or down depending on how you feel. P90X is way more than that, and completely neglects the slow movement, as does crossfit, but for the sprinting and heavy lifting, you have a great number of options, where p90x or crossfit can fit in, instead of bodyweight exercises or weight lifting.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    I think you need take the fitness base you have and start with that. Jumping into a program can cause much soreness and burnout fast. Four days a week is a lot whether it's lifting or endurance. PB would be a great start until your weight, strength and endurance improve to the point you can handle more volume. Hard to beat the price of BP also.

Forever Young is offline Senior Member
    Neither!

Quote Originally Posted by Forever Young View Post
    Neither!
    okay. why neither? What do you suggest?

otzi Guest
    Crossfit and P90X are for suckers. Just do what it says in the PB free fitness download. Don't waste money on a personal trainer--they will have you doing/spending way too much. If you want to go to a gym, just use the pullup bar or read Body By Science and do the Nautilus stuff at the frequency he recommends. LHT should only be 3 times a week max, I have found less is better for me. At home, get a sandbag for squats, do lots of pushups and planks, then hit the gym once a week for some heavy lifting to failure type exercises.

Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    Crossfit and P90X are for suckers. Just do what it says in the PB free fitness download. Don't waste money on a personal trainer--they will have you doing/spending way too much. If you want to go to a gym, just use the pullup bar or read Body By Science and do the Nautilus stuff at the frequency he recommends. LHT should only be 3 times a week max, I have found less is better for me. At home, get a sandbag for squats, do lots of pushups and planks, then hit the gym once a week for some heavy lifting to failure type exercises.
    I was thinking into getting a sandbag. But what weight should i get? There are a lot of options with sandbags. Actually I have a pull up bar at home. Thanks for recommending the book "Body by Science". I have never heard of it. It looks like a really good book.

Who is Nautilus and where can I find the information regarding what he recommends? Never heard of him. I appreciate your feedback.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by linuxguy0481 View Post
    I was thinking into getting a sandbag. But what weight should i get? There are a lot of options with sandbags. Actually I have a pull up bar at home. Thanks for recommending the book "Body by Science". I have never heard of it. It looks like a really good book.

Who is Nautilus and where can I find the information regarding what he recommends? Never heard of him. I appreciate your feedback.
    Nautilus is the manufacturer of weight machines they use in gyms. Body By Science guy likes Nautilus machines for some reason, your gym may have a different brand, but same idea.

SCruz Carter is offline Member
    Just do things that are fun until you get your base fitness up then explore crossfit or just borrow p90x from a friend. When starting out it is important that you enjoy your workouts or they become just that- work. I am lucky in that I live in a place where I can surf or mtn bike everyday and those are my workouts. They never get old, my abs are starting to take shape (stand up paddleboarding helps this) and I am never frustrated with my workouts, except when there are no waves. If you enjoy it you will follow it and be successful.
    Male 37 Years Old
    210 LBs - 5/14/12 - SW
    180 LBs- 8/15/12 - CW
    ??? LBs- GW
    36"- Starting pant size
    32" - Current Pant size

Nick the Destroyer is offline Senior Member
    P90x is a one time purchase and is very adaptable. I've done it in the past and had really great results when it came to fat loss. I think another one of your problems is the 20% cheat meal thing. If you are trying to lose weight, cheat meals will kill you more than once a week. I'd cut down to one cheat meal, and save it for a day you are not working out and preparing for a hard workout the next day - helps refuel the body and allow it to keep out of starvation mode.
    "Suffer no guilt yee who wield this in the name of Crom"
    Quote on the Father's Sword

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast