• Crossfit

12 34.29%
  • P90X

4 11.43%
  • PBF

21 60.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm having a hard time deciding between P90X and my local Crossfit Gym page 2

PeaceKaren is offline Member

jennf is offline Senior Member
    I think Crossfit and P90X "as written" both have a tendency to lead to overtraining. My husband has done a couple rounds of modified P90X and it has worked well for him. He does the weight workouts only and sometimes only does 1/2 the workout. Other than the weight workouts he sprints once a week and other than that he just walks. Much better than the first time he tried the full P90X and ended up overtrained and injured 3/4 of the way through one round.

Now that he has a better understanding of weight lifting and body composition he's moving on to body weight exercises (a la Convict Conditioning) rather than weights.

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    In my opinion the reasons for crossfit are:

- you work best with others - you perform better when others are around, you are competitive, having others around you living your "goal" is motivating to you
    - you need guidance with movement fundamentals/form
    - things like muscle ups, rope climbs, prowler pushes, tire flips etc are things you'd really like doing but won't be able to on your own
    - you really like bumper plates

If none of those apply don't spend the money on it.

ciavyn is offline Senior Member
    My $0.02. I can't afford Crossfit on my paltry salary, but really like what they offer. I can't afford a personal trainer for one on one visits to the gym. So I expanded my thoughts, and found a paleo-based personal trainer who does distance training and can work with el-cheapo gym around the corner. I pay a fraction of what you'd pay for crossfit/personal trainer, and I get a customized workout, regular (and EXCELLENT) feedback, accountability, and I'm loving it. P90X is really intense, and as someone that used to do videos to workout, they get old fast. After two people I knew broke bones doing the dang thing, I swore off of it. So I'd recommend finding an affordable trainer with your diet and health in mind, and utilize that route.

patski is offline Senior Member
    Crossfit is AMAZEBALLS. Try it out and don't overdo it.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

Drmike is offline Member
    Instead of either of those why not try You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren it really works great

linuxguy0481 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drmike View Post
    Instead of either of those why not try You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren it really works great
    I have looked into getting this book. Does it provide a workout schedule or do you have to create your own? If you have done it what kind of results have you seen from doing this?

linuxguy0481 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ciavyn View Post
    My $0.02. I can't afford Crossfit on my paltry salary, but really like what they offer. I can't afford a personal trainer for one on one visits to the gym. So I expanded my thoughts, and found a paleo-based personal trainer who does distance training and can work with el-cheapo gym around the corner. I pay a fraction of what you'd pay for crossfit/personal trainer, and I get a customized workout, regular (and EXCELLENT) feedback, accountability, and I'm loving it. P90X is really intense, and as someone that used to do videos to workout, they get old fast. After two people I knew broke bones doing the dang thing, I swore off of it. So I'd recommend finding an affordable trainer with your diet and health in mind, and utilize that route.
    How did you find the Paleo-based personal trainer?

Drmike is offline Member
    It has 4 different 10 week programs based in your fitness level. There is also a really good iPhone app for like,2 bucks. I've done the first 2 programs and have gotten pretty good results. Lost some weight and build a decent amount of muscle. The workouts are quick. About 20-30 minutes and they change every 2 weeks so you never get bored and are constantly changing the reps and focus from endurance to strength to power. It's the best workout I've tried

gt1cm2 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sorry but it's not the program that over trains people, it's the person not knowing when they have reached their limit. Blaming crossfit or p90x for someone over training or breaking bones is stupid, it's up to the person doing the training to know when they need to ease off or not do a particular exercise.

Due to your inexperience I'd say find a good personal trainer, see them for a short while and learn how to do the moves properly as its bad form that causes a lot of injuries. Or find a good crossfit box with a reputation for training their members correctly. Don't go doing a program on your own until you know you are using proper form, once you are then def go for it on your own at home.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast