Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How can I get an exercise high without cardio? page

Unhappy How can I get an exercise high without cardio?

Primal Fuel
    I love to exercise. Cardio. Not very Grokette, I know. But nothing makes me feel better or happier or calmer than a run, workout video, or exercise class at the gym. It's my go-to for heading off a panic attack, clearing my head, and putting a smile on my face.

Today, I hurt myself while running. Likely an injury to the plantar fascia on my right foot. I'll go to the doctor tomorrow to get it sorted and get on the road to recovery. It's an inconvenience, for sure.

It feels silly to admit, but I am despairing at not being able to work out like I usually do. I'm panicking about not having it as an escape and release and tool to deal with my anxiety.

Rather than dwell on all the feeeeeeelings I'm feeling (before a visit to the doctor, no less!) I thought I'd ask you:

What do you do to get the cardio high that's not cardio? And what exercises can I do that may produce a similar result?

Fernaldo is offline Senior Member
    Sprint, 20 rep squats
    "The problem with quoting someone on the Internet is, you never know if it's legit" - Abraham Lincoln

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Lift and lift big.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Can you ride a bike or swim? Can you just go for a walk? Sometimes it can be very healing emotionally, spiritually and physically just to walk slowly in a natural place, taking time to feel the sun or see the birds and other living things around you.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

cavequeen is offline Senior Member
    I like an intense vinyasa yoga class. I always feel better afterwards.

I'll know more tomorrow. I'm hoping biking will still be okay.

Forgotmylastusername is offline Senior Member
    I never really got an 'exercise high' or whatever people call it until I started swimming. I'm not sure if it's just the exercise part of it or just the whole process of going beyond my comfort zone into a fairly cold pool then getting out into a hot shower and getting changed that leaves me feeling good but it's definitely worth it.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    Find some way to sprint, be it in a pool, on a concept rowing machine, nowt gives me the post excersise buzz like sprinting. You may find you want to cut some of the cardio if you start sprinting, and lifting heavy, and you are less likely to injure yourself again IMHO that keeping doing the cardio stuff - don't give it up if you love it, I love to run, it feels great to do and a feel good knowing I can do it. But less can be more. GOod luck healing quick.
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fernaldo View Post
    Sprint, 20 rep squats
    +20

snoops is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Heavy lifting for sure. Makes me feel wonderful and calm and well "high"!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast