Thread: Optimal Water Kefir page

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member

Optimal Water Kefir

Primal Fuel
    So far from what I've read the longer you ferment the less sugar the final product has...but nothing on actual amounts. Also someone said that the longer you do it the less beneficial bacteria...not sure I get this? They start dying off after awhile because they don't have any sugar to feed on?...That makes some sense I guess that's it.

At some point it tastes like vinegar with very little sugar...is that the point where it doesn't have very much beneficial bacteria either? I'm trying to figure out the sweet spot for fermentation time. I also read that times past 36 hours can weaken the grains...I suppose when I have excess grains this isn't an issue...just starting at the moment at 8 tomorrow will be 48 hours.

I've also read second ferment can be anywhere from 3-10 days the fermentation step taken after you remove grains and add flavor. No waiting time needed for juice but for fresh or dries fruit you have to wait to infuse flavor? Also I read to change out fresh fruit every day....is this really necessary or is 1 day enough for it to go bad and grow mold? Is that why you change it out daily? I'm guessing so.

Any and all thoughts and experiences are greatly welcome. Thanks
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

The fermentation time depends on how warm the storage area is. It just converts complex sugars into simple sugars.

If you leave it in there for a long time they won't have food and the very acidic PH could damage the grains. I'd keep the fruit in a muslin bag to make changing it out easier.

The house thermostat says its 79 degrees but I have the jar on top of a big freezer...heat rises so it may be a bit hotter in that area...not sure. I have an infrared thermometer telling me the cloth on top of the jar is 85 degrees and the jar itself is 90...not sure the thermo is supposed to work to check temp on a glass jar though since its reflective.

I guess I'll just try the taste out at 48 hours and decide to go from there.
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    After 24 hrs, I just taste it & find a flavor I like & go for it. It's not strict science my way, but it's tasty. I've experimented some, I like fermenting young coconuts the most. I let it stay a little sweet, not too much vinegar. The vinegars are actually nice too. It's all good. Fermentation rocks! I have some many crocks of kimchi & jars of pickled this & that going, it's redunkulous
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

In the video on Cultures for Health website it mentions keeping the bag submerged as if it is at the top mold can form...I think I might have some...can I just take it out and it'll be fine? Funny thing is it didn't say how to keep it submerged it floats to the top so something to keep it down I guess...but what?

The bag actually wasn't closed tight so I think it might just be a grain that popped out...what does mold in straight water kefir look like..its just maple syrup and water.
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Yes, it ought to be ok. I just take off scum & filmy floaty stuff all the time, from the surface water @ the top of my ferments. The stuff under the water is protected, from the literature I've read. Interesting & reassuring factoid: no documented cases reported of anyone being poisoned from fermented vegetable matter in USA. Dairy & other meat products, yes, some(many?) cases for sure. But it appears quite safe to DIY @ home, if you stick w/ veggies & fruits. Just read up & the old saying, "when in doubt, throw it out" applies.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Mainer is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    My grains are 3 yrs old and have been shared around my great state. 48 hours is fine, as others point out, temps do have an impact. If in 48 hrs is tastes not sweet and not sour, the sweet spot as you mention, then you should be good to go.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes