Thread: Olympic Athletes and Body Types page

Goldie is offline Senior Member

Olympic Athletes and Body Types

Primal Fuel
    I'm a sports junkie, so I've been watching a lot of the Olympic coverage on TV. Being primal, I have wondered if any of those athletes are primal/paleo eaters.

What has really struck me, though, is that very few (if any) of the athletes have those "perfect" bodies that the advertising media would have us believe are the most desirable body types--for men and women both.

While I can't comment on the actual health of any of the athletes, nearly all of them are incredibly fit and strong and look healthy. I hope that the advertising types get the message that skeletal women and 4% bodyfat men really aren't the ideal.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    You can't airbrush a live event

Basically is why the USA women's beach volleyball team still wears bikinis
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Part of the reason is that different sports select for different body types, and so the Olympics as the ultimate expression of "selection bias" is, in part, a kind of freak show. Nothing to be surprised about.Check out those bicyclist's upper body development for a laugh.
    I decided a while ago that I'd just train to be a better athlete and I'd eventually look like whatever the "best me" looked like, since I can't bench press my way to Brad Pitt's face no matter what. Athletes in some sports actually look a lot like models with more muscular legs, soccer is one example, tennis is another.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Pamsc is offline Senior Member

Blanchy is offline Member
    Here is another very cool article looking at the different body types among athletes- definitely not what you see in magazines. begin to dig: Athletic Bodies: which one is you(r desired shape)?
    "Itís not about how strong you are, itís how well you can move with that strength."

Goldie is offline Senior Member
    Interesting pictures--thanks, Pam!

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldie View Post
    While I can't comment on the actual health of any of the athletes, nearly all of them are incredibly fit and strong and look healthy. I hope that the advertising types get the message that skeletal women and 4% bodyfat men really aren't the ideal.
    I'm glad you said "nearly all" because the USA womens skeet shooter does not look healthy
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

VacillateWildly is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm fascinated by different body types and the way we each gain muscle and get strong. I used to row competatively at a high level and have maintained the same athletic build for 20 years...the sport suited my body shape which was maybe why I was so drawn to doing it.