Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sulfites page

solstice is offline Senior Member
    In the beautiful mountains of Pennsylvania!

Sulfites

Shop Now
    Does anyone here aim to avoid exposure to sulfites? I'm still trying to piece together my best avenue to health. My birch allergy overlaps on a lot of sulfite foods---and this would explain my poor reaction to wine, but not hard liquor. It just shortens my list of acceptable foods even further. I think I need to do some sort of elimination diet.

I get excessively itchy lower legs...scratch sometimes so badly that they bleed---but cannot seem to pinpoint the source of this! (Been going on 4 years of dealing with this itchy insanity!). Please let sulfites be part of that answer!

Love to hear from anyone else dealing with something like this!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I have a problem with sulfites too. Wine, and anything cooked/marinated/whatever with wine. Also most commercial dried fruit. It sucks. For me, I get a migraine.

I have found that rice wine and rice wine vinegar work great when you need something like an oil and vinegar dressing.

Seriously, it seem like wine is in everything, especially Italian and French cooking. I even went to a nice pub and literally half the menu included some kind of wine-based sauce.

Add to that the fact that I also have an issue with sodium nitrite (any processed meat - bacon, pepperoni, hot dogs) and dark chocolate, and life really starts to suck. VERY short list of okay foods.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

yes I can see that I need to start making my "list" of ok foods and perhaps do a true elimination diet for a bit! I was overdoing it on the dark chocolate and I see that it is high in sulfites---connection?! I just want to live without the constant itchy-ness!

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Are you guys also reactive to garlic?

I notice that I get really puffy when consuming dried fruit with sulfites and wine, along with garlic.

I "think" I have issues with garlic...but i DEF. have issues with onions---and I grew so many in my garden this year (boo hoo).

I also think I've been getting random hives---kept thinking they were just bug bites, but now I think I've been confused for years as to what they were!

I was doing some reading online and I guess when you get hospitalized they put some sulfites in the IV bag. I was hospitalized for IBS issues about 2 years ago and my face and body became SOOOOO swollen after 2 days on an IV. I was literally unrecognizeable---this is another effect of having sulfite sensitivities.

Yes, also trying to avoid any dried fruits for now. I'm guessing bacon might be an issue for me. Can someone come up with a weekly diet I can follow---help! (also struggling around birch allergies and all the foods that can cross react with that---truly endless).

Finally, read that the absorbent pad that they place in the bottom of packaged meat containers actually contains SULFITES---hence why the meat retains its color and doesn't oxidize.

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    Sulphites.....that word crops up a few times a day in our house!! They give me migraines, and that's mainly what brought me to Primal. I was going dizzy trying to avoid sulphites, especially as in the UK they don't have to be labelled unless they are in a certain quantity. So i stripped my diet back to literally meat, veg, fruit and eggs.

That's interesting that you mention itchy legs, i used to get that but since on my primal diet i haven't had it quite so bad. I used to itch my legs so badly they would bleed too. I'd never connected it to sulphites though!

It's really hard to avoid sulphites as they're in bottled water and tap water, this topic drives me insane. When we move house we'll get a reverse osmosis filter fitted in the kitchen as they remove them. Ahh yes, i'd heard they put them in IV bags, and vaccinations as well!!!

I can't touch (not that most of these matter anymore on primal):
    wine or anything wine related
    bread products
    pickled products
    HFCS / glucose fructose syrup (this is sulphited! doubly evil poison!)
    garlic / onions / leeks
    coke / pepsi / lemonade / in fact too many drinks to mention
    fish - this is one of the worst for me. some fish is even sprayed on fishing boats to prevent discolouring. I just can't touch it anymore!
    dried fruits
    grapes
    instant gravy - plus some of these have MSG in as well, pure poison!
    cornflour
    gelatin
    dessicated coconut
    Some nuts are sulphited so i avoid them as i just don't know which ones are ok!

I've changed my shampoo and toothpaste to sulphite free versions. I'm struggling a bit at the moment with my asthma as i think the inhalers contain sulphites but aren't listed. They are just making my asthma worse so i'm currently struggling without!

Strangely i seem to be ok with bacon, or at least the brand i have at the moment.

If you're looking for a weekly diet, i really would try stripping your diet back to meat, veg, fruit and eggs and see how you get on. x

Hi hula!
    I'm actually HOPING the itching is related to sulfites. At least I would have a root for it happening!

My diet is pretty stripped....but I do wonder about the bacon and eggs...eggs have sulfites, but we do have free range hens and I only eat fresh eggs (hoping to not have to give those up). I also have a birch allergy which means most fruits might cause me to cross react....especially apples, bananas, and tomatoes. Trying to avoid all nightshades and stonefruits as well. I think I'm down to: bacon, eggs, lettuce, turkey, chicken, venison and fish (have read that salmon is actually high in sulfites and I LOVE salmon)---with occasional veggies---broccoli (sulfites I know!), had cabbage tonight...fresh, but still concerned about a possible reaction. I've been off grains for the most part. I wish I could snack on some dark chocolate though, but finding out more and more that that is a no-no for me. Any thoughts on some go-to foods for a snack? Besides bacon?!

fitmom is offline Senior Member
    If you have multiple allergies and intestinal issues like IBS, you may want to look into the GAPS diet or SCD diet. They are close cousins of primal, temporary diets that aim to fix leaky gut, restore intestinal health and replenish good gut bacteria.

If you have leaky gut, the theory is that pretty much any food can end up being an allergen. They recommend probiotics, lots of bone broth, etc. Worth a look if you are having allergies. Good luck!

I've tried SCD before---but too much almond and honey allowed there Havent FULLY researched GAPS, but I do know what it is. Thank you!

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by solstice View Post
    Hi hula!
    I'm actually HOPING the itching is related to sulfites. At least I would have a root for it happening!

My diet is pretty stripped....but I do wonder about the bacon and eggs...eggs have sulfites, but we do have free range hens and I only eat fresh eggs (hoping to not have to give those up). I also have a birch allergy which means most fruits might cause me to cross react....especially apples, bananas, and tomatoes. Trying to avoid all nightshades and stonefruits as well. I think I'm down to: bacon, eggs, lettuce, turkey, chicken, venison and fish (have read that salmon is actually high in sulfites and I LOVE salmon)---with occasional veggies---broccoli (sulfites I know!), had cabbage tonight...fresh, but still concerned about a possible reaction. I've been off grains for the most part. I wish I could snack on some dark chocolate though, but finding out more and more that that is a no-no for me. Any thoughts on some go-to foods for a snack? Besides bacon?!
    I hope you're right too, as that would make a lot of sense. The other thing is, do you have Restless Leg Syndrome? I used to get the itchy legs when my RLS was playing up so i thought it was that to be honest.

I still eat bacon, but not many eggs, maybe 2-3 a week. Yes, i've heard salmon is really bad and so are prawns, which is a shame as i love them both. I eat broccoli every night, oops, thought i was safe with that! I don't think i'm going to cut it out though or i'll be left with nothing Sorry to hear about the birch allergy too...no wonder you're down to 7 food items

Snacks? hmm for me snacks are bacon, chicken and fruit! Sorry i can't be of more help. Let me know how you get on

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast