Thread: Art Devaney book page

David is offline Senior Member

Art Devaney book

Has anybody read Art Devaney's new book, The New Evolution Diet: What Our Paleolithic Ancestors Can Teach Us about Weight Loss, Fitness, and Aging”?

Please let me know if you liked it or not.

Rip @ MIPWID is offline Senior Member
    I thought it was alright, though starch-phobic and seems to have the same bias against saturated fat as CW thinking. It was quite comprehensive, covering a number of different areas and I found the story of his first wife quite sad. Like the Primal Blueprint, it focuses on a primal approach to modern life rather than strict re-enactment, which is a positive.

However, he seems to have based his diet initially on the foods his diabetic wife responded well or badly to, which appears to have led him to the conclusion that starch is automatically bad. He mentions tribes like the Eskimos and Ache of Paraguay who thrive on high fat diets yet warns you off a high fat approach yourself.

I have no doubt though that if you were to follow his recommendations coming off the SAD, you would be much healthier.
    Meat is Prized, Wheat is Despised.

Real Food - The REAL staff of life

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by David View Post
    Has anybody read Art Devaney's new book, The New Evolution Diet: What Our Paleolithic Ancestors Can Teach Us about Weight Loss, Fitness, and Aging”?

Please let me know if you liked it or not.
    Have not. I would have got it, but I was put off partly because it got a real stinker of a review from Chris Masterjohn, who after all is someone who's noted for being fair and evenhanded. He did come back with a "some things I did like about the book" post awhile later, though.

Both those posts should be still online if they're likely to be of any interest:

The Daily Lipid

They were quite informative and, regardless of the judgments of the book's worth, I should think give a pretty good idea of what it covers and how it presents information.

IIRC, it's not a large book and doesn't come with a hefty price-tag, so anyone who likes Devaney's style and approach would probably find it worth getting. I think he's written another, even shorter, primarily book aimed at the weight-loss market since that one.
    Last edited by Lewis; 07-29-2012 at 02:36 PM. Reason: spelling