Thread: What are your Primal Mental Hurdles? page

ErinFS is offline Junior Member

What are your Primal Mental Hurdles?

Primal Fuel
    I'm curious if anyone else has/had any mental hurdles through their Primal journey. I'm positive I'm not the only one!

My "problem" is that even though I've lost a lot of weight in the last 4 months, I still mentally see myself as I did when I started. Even though I've lost 30 lbs since April and started at a size 12-14 and am now down to a 6-8, I still feel fat.

I've heard of this in people in the past and always thought, "Whatever, if I could lose weight you'd better bet I wouldn't be complaining about still feeling fat." Now I see/feel what a mental battle it is though. It's like your brain can't keep up with the changes in your body. Even getting compliments almost daily now, my response is usually "Thanks, but I still have a long way to go. I'm still jiggly!"

And I still feel anxious every time I go shopping to buy clothes that actually fit (since I'm still losing, my clothes are too big every 6-8 to weeks and I need new pieces in my wardrobe). Just this weekend I went to buy new dresses and suits and I picked up a bunch of 8's, the whole time worrying they wouldn't fit. Then I had to go down to a 6 because they were too big.

As much as you'd think I'd be ecstatic about that, and to a degree I was, I also have this big cognitive dissonance attached to it. It's like I just don't even know what to think about my body anymore.

Anyone else have similar problems? NOT trying to complain about the weight loss in any way, just thought talking about it and hearing others' stories might help me overcome the mental side.
    Erin

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    yes i do, with regard to working out. i feel silly working out or even talking about it, because i feel like a failure or a weakling.

Rusty is offline Senior Member
    Erin, I totally know what you are talking about. It's like you "intellectually" know that your thinner, but your eyes can't see it. The reason I know is I just lost 100 lbs and still think that I weigh 325! I still have 50 more pounds to go, but hey, it's a hundred pounds! I just can't see myself being smaller.

I think it just takes time to adjust to the new you (and me!).

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    No one cares about how I look except me.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I have a couple too!

I never worried about losing weight because I was eating this way to reduce pain. But since losing 50 lbs, I worry that it was too easy and I'll just gain it all back. It is dumb, but there it is

The other one is similar to Saoirse. I don't work out other than walking/hiking. I need to, but i have a huge mental block about.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Paleobird Guest
    I have been lagging on workouts lately too. That's why I'm joining in on the August Whole 30. We're committing not just to the diet part but to the PBF too. I think it will be a good kick start.

trekfan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ErinFS View Post
    I'm curious if anyone else has/had any mental hurdles through their Primal journey. I'm positive I'm not the only one!

My "problem" is that even though I've lost a lot of weight in the last 4 months, I still mentally see myself as I did when I started. Even though I've lost 30 lbs since April and started at a size 12-14 and am now down to a 6-8, I still feel fat.

I've heard of this in people in the past and always thought, "Whatever, if I could lose weight you'd better bet I wouldn't be complaining about still feeling fat." Now I see/feel what a mental battle it is though. It's like your brain can't keep up with the changes in your body. Even getting compliments almost daily now, my response is usually "Thanks, but I still have a long way to go. I'm still jiggly!"

And I still feel anxious every time I go shopping to buy clothes that actually fit (since I'm still losing, my clothes are too big every 6-8 to weeks and I need new pieces in my wardrobe). Just this weekend I went to buy new dresses and suits and I picked up a bunch of 8's, the whole time worrying they wouldn't fit. Then I had to go down to a 6 because they were too big.

As much as you'd think I'd be ecstatic about that, and to a degree I was, I also have this big cognitive dissonance attached to it. It's like I just don't even know what to think about my body anymore.

Anyone else have similar problems? NOT trying to complain about the weight loss in any way, just thought talking about it and hearing others' stories might help me overcome the mental side.
    I hear this: I still can't grasp what to do with my "new" body. It's like I'm two different people, the one who's the same internally and then the one who's (apparently) thin now... I don't comprehend it really at all. It's a divide I haven't quite been able to breach.

I've lost 126 pounds in the last year and I still don't "feel" thin. People tell me I am, I apparently look it... but I don't "feel" it. I still have quite a lot of loose skin bunched up around my middle and that's gonna take time to tighten up. I think that's part of the mental side of things (makes me feel "fat" even though, rationally, I know I'm not). How to conquer the mental side eludes me at the moment; I've been told by others that it'll take time for my mind to catch up.

I don't honestly know if it will. My mind was pretty much resigned to the fact that I would be the fat, geeky guy forever and now... I'm not. Socially, this is a problem as I barely knew what to do with myself before (I just assumed the role of jolly fat guy) now I pretty much don't have a role and nearly 13 years of figuring out what to do with myself in social situations has gone straight out the door. Will it take another 13 years or so for me to figure out what to do with my "new" body? I don't know... I hope not but I kinda feel like I'm back at square one as it is.
    Went Primal July 25th, 2011.

Current Age: 25

Total Loss: 126 lbs

Starting Stats: Weighed 266 lbs, Body Fat 37.6% (100 lbs), BMI 40.9

Current Stats: Weight 140 lbs, Body Fat 15.2% (21.1 lbs), BMI 21.2

Current Goals: Get a stronger core through Pilates and continue being as Primal as I can be.

My Weight Loss Notes Now on a blog page. It starts with "My Weight Loss: Introduction." Available to the public, share with friends if you'd like!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    I have had all those exact same feelings and thoughts, Erin. Once I lost a lot of weight and one day I looked at my face in the mirror and didn't recognize myself. It was really strange. I stood there staring at myself totally freaked out. I still have all my clothes from when I was fat and still wear some of them. I have a hard time believing that it's going to stay off.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

brighthorse is offline Senior Member
    My wife and I went to a fundraiser a few weeks ago. On the way home she told me that she had a hard time finding me in the croud. I have lost so much weight that she didn't recognized me across a room. Hmm...that is probably both good and bad. LOL!
    I still think of myself as fat though too. I think, with time, that will change.