Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nutrition for surgery recovery page

Nutrition for surgery recovery

Shop Now
    Hi y'all. So I've been waiting since June 2011 for a laparoscopy for my endometriosis. I just got called this morning and was told my surgery date is August 22. I start my first year of university on September 4th. Besides resting, is there anything specific I should be doing nutritionally to help myself recover faster? I'm going to be living with another family, so in the basement im in I'll have a crock pot, microwave and mini fridge, and hoping to make a bunch of food a few days before so I won't have to cook much after the surgery.

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    best of the luck with tyhe surgery and you will feel much better once your issue is resolved.

bone broth will really help boost your health and add some probiotics to your plan too.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Thanks! I was wondering if bone broth would help. Would any kind nutritionally be the same, or would it be better to make it with a certain animal and certain bones for more nutritional value?

i keep both chicken and beef broth in the freezer and alternate week to week. it's often my first meal of the day with some greens and eggs stirred in. sometimes coconut milk.

i don't know that one is nutritionally superior, but i feel like a variety is better. the protein and trace minerals are far more bio-available than anything in pill or powder form. just make sure to cook the bones A LONG time. like till they fall apart long-time.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Hmmm that sounds really good, with the eggs and greens. I've always loved broth, so it would be perfect, especially since it'll be easy to digest. Do you know how long it can last in the fridge?

oh, mine lasts over a week. i do reduce it down for easier storage and add water for cooking and eating.

Ernest Hemingway

That's a really good idea. How much do you reduce it? How much water do you usually add? I've never made it before, so I'm thinking I'm going to go pick up some bones today or tomorrow to try it an see how long it takes to do.

i don't have one, but i've seen folks on here that use a crockpot to make it. they let it go 48-72 hours for beef broth. 1/2 that time, i'm guessing for chicken.

i reduce it a lot, so that basically it turns to jelly in the fridge. i use about 4 oz. of that, plus i dunno, maybe 6-8 oz. of water? i also keep the fat that caps the top of the broth and add that in when i eat. excellent source for animal fat!

Ernest Hemingway

Thanks for all the info! I'm definitely going to try it.

Zanna is online now Senior Member
    I cook my bone broth for 72 hours - I never get gelatin, but I don't reduce it down either. I roast the bones for hour before putting in the crockpot and pour the fat into a jelly bar. I scrape the marrow out too and mix in with the liquid fat. So yummy for cooking - it will solidify into a creamy white fat & I use that for cooking. There is still usually enough fat in the broth to leave a "fat cap" on top of the filled jars. I get probably 4 quart Mason jars worth each time and I use it undiluted for making sauces, mashing with potatoes etc. Oh, make sure you add a couple tablespoons of cider vinegar - extracts the minerals from what I understand.

I also do what noodletoy does and have it with greens and eggs as a 1st meal of the day.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast