Thread: Study finds StoneAge artists were 1st animators page

Betorq is offline Senior Member

Study finds StoneAge artists were 1st animators

Study finds Stone Age artists were the first animators | The Raw Story
    A French archaeologist and an artist who have studied Stone Age cave art for twenty years say that many of the drawings were intended to produce an illusion of movement.

According to Marc Azéma and Florent Rivère, viewing the scenes by flickering torchlight would have been just one of the methods employed to create a sense of animation in the figures, which date back as much as 30,000 years.

Another popular technique can be seen in an image of a “eight-legged” bison at Chauvet cave, which is actually two superimposed images in slightly different stances. Azéma and Rivère say they have found 53 figures in twelve different caves that use this technique to represent animals running, tossing their heads, or shaking their tails.

An even more impressive example is the use of stone or bone disks with engravings of a sitting and standing animal on opposite sides, which may have served as a prehistoric version of the 19th century toy known as a thaumatrope. If a strand of animal tendon run through a hole in the center of the disk was twisted and then rapidly untwisted, it would make the disk spin so fast that the two images would merge into an animation of the animal changing position.

Finally, the two investigators believe that some of the cave walls, like one in Chauvet that appears to show a pride of lions stalking mammoths and bison, may have been intended to be read as sequential narratives, like prehistoric comic strips.

Azéma and Rivère have been conducting their research on Paleolithic animation techniques for the past two decades, but much of their work has been available only in French. A paper in the June issue of Antiquity is the first summary of their results for an English-speaking audience.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    this is amazing! thanks for sharing

aix_sponsa is offline Senior Member
    If any of you have Netflix, you can find a documentary titled "The Cave of Forgotten Dreams" on there about exploring the art of Chauvet cave. It shows the paintings mentioned in the article. The way it was made is just haunting, really (in a good way). Really mesmerizing. In fact I think I'll watch it again tonight (I love Netflix!).

Jenny

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aix_sponsa View Post
    If any of you have Netflix, you can find a documentary titled "The Cave of Forgotten Dreams" on there about exploring the art of Chauvet cave. It shows the paintings mentioned in the article. The way it was made is just haunting, really (in a good way). Really mesmerizing. In fact I think I'll watch it again tonight (I love Netflix!).

Jenny
    Thanks!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aix_sponsa View Post

Jenny
    I love that film. When I watched it I kept thinking who ever painted those images had to have been living in close proximity to those large predators in order to render them with such beautiful detail. What that means to me is that the predators were not such a threat. I personally believe that humans at that time were scavenging a fair amount of their meat after the lions killed their prey and were off resting having eaten fill. That would also be a good time to closely observe the lions in order to paint them later.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Also, cave scratchings might appear to move when viewed under firelight. The scratchings at Cresswell Crags in Derbyshire, UK very much show this.

Stone Age people ate mushrooms also. I imagine they were putting on their own versions of Pink Floyd laser light shows on the cave walls by fire or torch light. Lol...

1. Dangerous Minds | Terence McKenna's 'Stoned Ape Theory' animated

dangerousminds.net/.../terence_mckennas_stoned_ape_theory...
      1 Aug 2011 – It is an animation of Terrance Mckenna's “Stoned Ape Theory” which is the theory that protohominids munched on mushrooms and this caused ...
    2. The Stoned Ape Theory | Zazen Life
      zazenlife.com/2012/03/22/stoned-ape-theory/Share
      22 Mar 2012 – The Stoned Ape Theory is one of the craziest, yet most fascinating theories I have been exposed to recently. Terence McKenna is said to be ...
    Last edited by Betorq; 07-29-2012 at 06:35 PM.

You MUST SEE this YouTube vid, it's HILARIOUS..!

Terence McKenna’s ‘Stoned Ape Theory’ animated Stoned Ape Theory - YouTube

11:05 am
    Tags:
    Terence McKenna, Joe Rogan,Duncan Trussell,'Stoned Ape Theory'

Painting by Alex Grey
    Probably the single most perplexing element in the fossil record is the doubling of the brain-size of Homo Sapiens over the period of just two million years (a very, very short period of time in evolutionary terms). Something caused it, but what?
    In this brilliant animation, comedian Duncan Trussell gets to the bottom of it. This is the greatest thing ever, an instant classic:

This is a part of Thunderbrain, the pilot I made for Comedy Central. It is an animation of Terrance Mckenna’s “Stoned Ape Theory” which is the theory that protohominids munched on mushrooms and this caused the mysterious rapid expansion of the neocortex that eventually differentiated us from the other monkeys.
    Animation by Will Carsola. Written by: Duncan Trussell, Will Carsola, and Tom Giannis
    I hope Comedy Central pick this pilot up! And if they don’t Adult Swim should snatch it up immediately. This is what I want to watch on television. Stoned Ape Theory - YouTube

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    2 educated stoners discussing The Stoned Ape theory on YouTube, short & entertaining....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JUTgPOUdcLE#!