Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK members: where do you get your bacon? page

Skydiver is offline Member

UK members: where do you get your bacon?

Shop Now
    Thinking I was doing the right thing, I bought the only organic bacon I could find: cured, smokeless bacon by Dutchy in Waitrose. Of course I forgot that all things cured contain Nitrites with Dutchy bacon being no exception.... so Where should I go instead?

Hi , I did try curing my own but its a bit of a pain. Ive had to settle for Dry cured strreaky from Lidl. Its got some nitrites though as well as sea salt and brown sugar for the cure which is what I was using to do my own.If you sort through you can find some very fatty streaky which is very nice. There are plenty of recipes out there to make your own. I think mine was from River cottage.

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Sainsbury - streaky, which is from a farmer that happens to be local to me. Or, farm shop. Yorkshire does pigs - pigs make bacon.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Sainsburys is really good for organic food. I also get the normal organic bacon from Waitrose if I don't have enough from the farmers markets.

Farmers markets are your best bet though. Do a search of your local area.

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    I just buy normal shop bacon, can't afford anything better right now, so don't eat a massive amount. But give me a couple of years and I'll be raising my own bacon, so you can buy a share of a pig

The_Undead_Pixie is offline Junior Member
    From an online place called Stilton Butchers. They do it in bulk (5lb), dry cure bacon for 12.95. There is postage but I order other meat from there as well (ie, steak, chicken breasts). They do bulk buys for some stuff.

Their minted lamb steaks are lovely, and only 9 for 10!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Undead_Pixie View Post
    From an online place called Stilton Butchers.
    Is their meat organic/grass fed/whatever?
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

hulahoop is offline Senior Member
    I just normally buy bacon from Tesco, but i have ordered some nitrate free stuff from Laverstoke Park as a treat, it's due to be delivered Friday!!

Buy Organic Meat Online, Beef, Pork, Lamb, Chicken - Organic Meat & Food - Laverstoke Park Farm | Laverstoke Park Farm

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I buy from my local butcher, who does their own dry-cure from local pigs - not organic, sadly, but very good, and much the same price as the bacon from Tesco. If for any reason they don't have any available, then I will just buy from Tesco as a stand-in.

Daisynyc is offline Member
    I highly recommend these guys: http://moonsgreen.co.uk/

I know the family personally and their products are marvelous. If you happen to be heading to Greenwich Park for the Olympics, check out their "Cheeky Chorizo Sandwhich" booth.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast