Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK members: where do you get your bacon? page 2

ProtoAlex is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    You get at least a couple hundred times more nitrates in your diet just by salivating (producing saliva) than you could on an all cured meats diet. Don't buy into the nitrate free hype, especially when it's used to label something that contains something like celery salt which often times will actually add more nitrates into the mix than your standard bacon.
    "You can demonstrate the purpose and limits of human digestion with a simple experiment: eat a steak with some whole corn kernels, and see what comes out the other end. It won’t be the steak."
    -J.Stanton

Skydiver is offline Member
    great info all, thanks!

Alex, I thought Mark didnt recommend cold cuts because of the nitrate levels?

Quote Originally Posted by The_Undead_Pixie View Post
    From an online place called Stilton Butchers. They do it in bulk (5lb), dry cure bacon for £12.95. There is postage but I order other meat from there as well (ie, steak, chicken breasts). They do bulk buys for some stuff.

Their minted lamb steaks are lovely, and only £9 for 10!
    Wow, sounds worth a try!

The_Undead_Pixie is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Is their meat organic/grass fed/whatever?
    Sorry for the delay in replying!

I bought some steak from them that was labelled grass fed so I suppose some of their stuff is. I assume that because they will be mainly sourcing from the UK they will be grass fed grain finished. Maybe I should check!!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Undead_Pixie View Post
    I assume that because they will be mainly sourcing from the UK they will be grass fed grain finished. Maybe I should check!!
    I now understand that UK animals are grass fed unless there's a problem with drought, deep snow or some other reason they would have to feed the animals expensive fodder.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12