Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: My First Cow Tongue Experience page

vb66 is offline Senior Member

My First Cow Tongue Experience

Hello all

I've recently been trying to experiment with some offal and thought I would post about my first tongue attempt. I have done heart before (used it in a stew) and then went right to liver. That was a major fail as it made me gag. So I decided to try tongue as it's a bit closer to regular cuts.

What I did:

1) Let tongue thaw and then rinse it off.
    2) Put it in the slow cooker with a few bay leaves and salt. I was going to add peppercorns too but I didn't have any.
    3) Then I filled the slow cooker with water so the tongue was completely covered.
    4) I set it for 10 hours overnight. It ended up being in there a few hours extra on the "Warm" setting.
    5) I took out the tongue in the morning and let it cool on a cookie sheet. Then I peeled off the skin layer and removed some of the weird squishy chunks that didn't look appetizing. Next I shredded it with two forks. I tasted a bit of the meat at this point and it was pretty plain, which was to be expected.
    6) While this was going on, I was cooking 2 onions and some garlic in a large pan. After I was done shredding the meat, I threw it in with the onions and garlic, added a GENEROUS amount of a spice rub that I use for grilled meat, salt, and some worcestershire sauce. I let it cook on a very low heat like this for about an hour so the flavours would set.

I just ate a big plate of the shredded tongue and it was amazing! For anyone who hasn't tried it yet should. I'm no master chef so the easy prep was a bonus

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    I grew up eating that and heart. My mom fixed regularly. I only recently added it back to my diet...to the angst of my wife. My mom would cook them and put the whole thing in the frig. We'd cut off what we wanted and ate as a snack.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Loved it as a kid. Used to get it sliced from the deli. The first time I saw a whole tongue, I was about 13 and totally freaked because it looked like... a tongue. ha. I should see if it's available around here.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    this past month we had cow, lamb and veal tongue.

i don't have a slow-cooker, but do a long-slow braise.

tasty stuff, super cheap and a good clean protein source.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Absolutely adore tongue, so much meat for so little money, plus nobody ever wants to share it. Win win!
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

peril is offline Senior Member
    The cooking liquid will have been full of nutrients. Don't waste it
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

MaryV is offline Junior Member
    Congratulations on your terrific results! How hard was it to peel? I feel like that is the thing that is holding me back from trying tongue.

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Most of it peels easily. The thin white stuff doesn't but you can simply eat since it has no texture and no flavor. It is collagen.
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

Theresa92 is offline Senior Member
    I just tried pork tongue yesterday, but I think my favorite would definitely be cow tongue! The first time I made it, I just boiled it and then cut it up like a roast. It was pretty flavorful on it's own. But I think your recipe would make it taste 10000 times better!

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by MaryV View Post
    Congratulations on your terrific results! How hard was it to peel? I feel like that is the thing that is holding me back from trying tongue.
    It was very easy to peel! The only problem was I was too impatient to let it cool. It singed my fingers a few times.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast