Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My First Cow Tongue Experience page 2

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    The cooking liquid will have been full of nutrients. Don't waste it
    I ended up tossing the liquid. I debated for a little while whether I should keep it or not. I didn't scrub the tongue before I cooked it that well. It just seemed like it wouldn't be good to use the broth. Next time I'll keep it.

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    OK, you've inspired me! I dug out the beef tongue thats been sitting at the bottom of the freezer for probably too long now, and let it thaw out over night. This morning I rinsed it off, and popped it into the slow cooker while I'm at work.

I'm very keen to see how it turns out. My husband looked a little concerned when I pulled it out of the freezer so he may require a little convincing tonight!

vb66 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    OK, you've inspired me! I dug out the beef tongue thats been sitting at the bottom of the freezer for probably too long now, and let it thaw out over night. This morning I rinsed it off, and popped it into the slow cooker while I'm at work.

I'm very keen to see how it turns out. My husband looked a little concerned when I pulled it out of the freezer so he may require a little convincing tonight!
    Awesome, let us know how it turns out

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Just cut the taste buds off before serving it.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

cantare is offline Senior Member
    My first cow tongue experience? It was a moonless summer night and the crickets were chirping madly as I slipped around the corner of the barn near the hay-field. I was going to meet Katie Higgins and was breathless with anticipation. I heard a rustle, felt a warm figure loom up beside me in the darkness, turned expectantly to kiss her and--

Scarred for life, I tell you.

But I guess I'll have to give it a[nother] try now I know how to braise & peel it...thanks for the thread!
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

smilingjustalittlebit is offline Senior Member
    Bought one on Monday and cooker it up overnight, slow cooker, 9 hours. As someone else said, I'm forever burning my fingers by peeling it before it cools! Into the frying pan with some tallow, chilli powder and chilli flakes. Lovely stuff and will be used to break my fast this afternoon.
    Do what you love and do it often. If you don't like something, change it. if you don't like your job, quit. If you don't have enough time, stop watching tv. If you are looking for the love of your life, stop, they will be waiting for you when you start doing the things you love. Stop over analyzing, life is simple. When you eat, appreciate every last bite. Some opportunities only come once, seize them.

https://www.facebook.com/ForgedFromFat

Lizzielou is offline Senior Member
    Well, that was an interesting experiment!

I think the tongue I had must have been treated in some way by the butcher. We bought half a beast some time ago, so the tongue was just bagged up and chucked into the freezer. The meat tasted quite salty, like a corned beef does, so I'm assuming that it was pickled (or whatever the correct term is). There didn't appear to be any liquid in the bag once defrosted, so I just rinsed and popped it into the crockpot with water, a slosh of vinegar and some pepper corns (I didn't even add any salt). Last night I peeled it, and then chopped it up into small cubes and then fried with some onions, garlic, worchester sauce.

The kids came over while I was chopping it up and asked what was for tea, so I just told them 'beef', they each tried a cube and didn't really say anything. Then they both cleared their plates at dinner time! I can't get my son to eat chicken, yet he'll eat tongue? My question now is: when exactly should I tell them what they had for dinner (if at all)?

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lizzielou View Post
    My question now is: when exactly should I tell them what they had for dinner (if at all)?
    Immediately after the dinner ends, and they have said that they liked it.

We just got a couple of cattlebeasts, so I see heart (steak) and kidney pies in our near future.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i've got beef heart cooling, that i will re-heat for tonight's dinner. with some tomato confit and cilantro.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cantare View Post
    My first cow tongue experience? It was a moonless summer night and the crickets were chirping madly as I slipped around the corner of the barn near the hay-field. I was going to meet Katie Higgins and was breathless with anticipation. I heard a rustle, felt a warm figure loom up beside me in the darkness, turned expectantly to kiss her and--

Scarred for life, I tell you.

But I guess I'll have to give it a[nother] try now I know how to braise & peel it...thanks for the thread!

Somebody beat me to it! I saw the title of this thread and knew I just had to post something along the lines of what you just did. I can't now of course - hahhahahahaha. Excellent. The primal humor.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast