Thread: Organ meat, how much can I eat? page

Warmbear is online now Senior Member

Organ meat, how much can I eat?

Heya, I have a question about organ meats. I like heart and liver and kidney but how much can I eat a week? Is a steady diet of these going to be an issue? I cant afford much muscle meat and the organs are cheep. How about blood pudding, assuming I can find a dairy free kind?
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I think you can eat it every day. If you eat too much liver, I know that your body will tell you. You will not want to eat it. The other organs on your list probably are less of an issue than liver.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i think everyday is ok too.

what are your concerns?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    My DH refuses to eat grass fed liver that I LOVE; he says free radicals accumulate in the blood and liver is full of blood.
    Who has any info that I can come back on him about this subj?

in a healthy body, that of a person consuming a healthy, primal diet, free radicals aren't accumulating and wreaking havoc. it's nonsense.

Liver: nature's most potent superfood
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Oh, noodle, that is so great.. Read it to him as he's laboring to put together a bookcase for me.
    (he didn't say anything, kinda grunted, humph:-)

Scott F is offline Senior Member
    Don't know about the other organ meats but liver should be about once per week. I'll sometimes eat it twice. Liver is very high in vitamins A and B vitamins. Matt Lalonde PhD, Harvard Biochemists has said can overdose by eating too much liver.

Here's a quote
    Vitamins and minerals - Vitamin A - NHS Choices
    What does the Department of Health advise?

You should be able to get all the vitamin A you need by eating a varied and balanced diet. If you take a supplement that contains vitamin A, do not take too much because this could be harmful.

Liver is a very rich source of vitamin A. Do not eat liver or liver products, such as pâté, more than once a week. Also be aware of how much vitamin A there is in any supplements you take.

If you are pregnant or thinking of having a baby:

Do not take supplements containing vitamin A, including fish liver oil, except if you are advised to by your GP
    Do not eat liver or liver products, such as pâté, because these are very high in vitamin A

Women who have been through the menopause and older men, who are more at risk of osteoporosis, should avoid having more than 1.5mg of vitamin A a day from food and supplements. This means:

not eating liver or liver products, such as pâté, more than once a week, or having smaller portions of these
    taking no more than 1.5mg of vitamin A a day in supplements (including fish liver oil) if you do not eat liver or liver products
    not taking any supplements containing vitamin A (including fish liver oil) if you eat liver once a week
    Would I be putting a grain-feed cow on a fad diet if I took it out of the feedlot and put it on pasture eating the grass nature intended?

peril is offline Senior Member
    OTOH, if you supplement vitamin D then you have a greater need of vitamin A
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

tom05 is offline Member
    I was in the same boat with you OP. I'm a poor student so the increase in offal in my diet wasn't just for the nutrients or taste. Now I've been consuming ox heart on a regular basis with no problem what soever. Even went thrOugh a long stretch where it was my sole source of 'red' meat. I only limit liver to a couple servings a week for reasons mentioned above.
    BTW a good tip: I get my butcher to mince my beef heart and then chop up liver and mix it all together in a ratio of like 3:1. Helps space out liver consumption over a week plus it's easy; divide into meal portions and freeze! Add spices etc as desired

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    stuff like tongue and heart are perfectly fine to eat everyday.

i have chicken liver a few times per week. at this point i am more concerned with getting my iron stores up than i am about overdosing on vitamin a.

– Ernest Hemingway