Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone heard of Progurt? page

Anyone heard of Progurt?

Primal Fuel
    I've got a friend that has been taking Progurt for a few months and she says its changed the way she feels.
    Is this stuff just a gimmick or does it really work?

Sounds interesting with 420 strains of bacteria to 20 in most other food stuff!

Any opinions would be welcome

Thanks

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    I cannot find any information to suggest 420 strains of bacteria...
    None.

As a matter of fact, they don't list the strains at all on their website.
    It simply says "Multiple-strains of probiotic Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB), Bifido Bacteria, yeast extract and dietary fibre, all in a proprietary formulation."

Many yoghurt starter cultures that can be purchased over the internet contain multiple strains of Lacto and Bifido strains, as well as Strepto (particularly S. thermo- extra good at converting lactose to lactase) strains. There are also many places to get the ultra starters for higher probiotic counts.

This looks like its just a marketing things so it's all available (maker, starter, etc.) from one company on one website.

Basically its just saying that homemade yoghurt is better than store bought... sort of a no brainer. Big companies use minimum cultures and culture times, they add thickeners, flavorings etc., time in processing, packing, shipping, and sitting on the shelves can decrease probiotic counts.

Making homemade yoghurt is great... but I'm not buying the sales pitch that THIS homemade yoghurt is 'better'.
    All yoghurt is made via the action of those little cultures reviving, splitting, eating/digesting, and creating their yummy waste until the milk is no longer milk... and that takes a LOT of little beasts, whatever numbers you want to throw at it... 1 trillion, 100 billion...

That's my yoghurt makin 2c.
    Last edited by cori93437; 07-28-2012 at 10:32 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    what cori said.

Chaohinon is offline Senior Member
    Smells like another case of Activia BS. By definition, all yogurt is "progurt".
    “The whole concept of a macronutrient, like that of a calorie, is determining our language game in such a way that the conversation is not making sense." - Dr. Kurt Harris

Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    I cannot find any information to suggest 420 strains of bacteria...
    None.

As a matter of fact, they don't list the strains at all on their website.
    It simply says "Multiple-strains of probiotic Lactic Acid Bacteria (LAB), Bifido Bacteria, yeast extract and dietary fibre, all in a proprietary formulation."

Many yoghurt starter cultures that can be purchased over the internet contain multiple strains of Lacto and Bifido strains, as well as Strepto (particularly S. thermo- extra good at converting lactose to lactase) strains. There are also many places to get the ultra starters for higher probiotic counts.

This looks like its just a marketing things so it's all available (maker, starter, etc.) from one company on one website.

Basically its just saying that homemade yoghurt is better than store bought... sort of a no brainer. Big companies use minimum cultures and culture times, they add thickeners, flavorings etc., time in processing, packing, shipping, and sitting on the shelves can decrease probiotic counts.

Making homemade yoghurt is great... but I'm not buying the sales pitch that THIS homemade yoghurt is 'better'.
    All yoghurt is made via the action of those little cultures reviving, splitting, eating/digesting, and creating their yummy waste until the milk is no longer milk... and that takes a LOT of little beasts, whatever numbers you want to throw at it... 1 trillion, 100 billion...

That's my yoghurt makin 2c.
    Thanks for the reply.

It looks like there is only one obscure website that gives the 420 strain.

All the other sites state that its the "Human Probiotic Isolate™" ??

Is this exclusive to this product or do all other pro biopics have the human strain?

I'm just wondering if we get our probiotics from dairy then its the strains from that animal or am i misinformed?

Thanks again for the replys. Any other opinions would be greatly received.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousAdelaide View Post
    Thanks for the reply.
    Is this exclusive to this product or do all other pro biopics have the human strain?
    I'm just wondering if we get our probiotics from dairy then its the strains from that animal or am i misinformed?
    Would you please provide that obscure website? My limited knowledge of LB cultures as well as sales & marketing experience & a business degree in Management, going back to the 1980s, leads me to say this... "CAVEAT EMPTOR". My way of thinking is that bacteria, good or bad compete with each other. There MIGHT be a ceiling on how many cultures can co-exist with each other, given a limited amount of food (lactose, fat, protein) in any given finite growing medium (a bowl of milk...) Let's see this URL, so we can rip it or laud it...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Progurt Store

15 sachets for $300? that's about a month's supply, best i can tell. are you effing kidding me?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Would you please provide that obscure website? My limited knowledge of LB cultures as well as sales & marketing experience & a business degree in Management, going back to the 1980s, leads me to say this... "CAVEAT EMPTOR". My way of thinking is that bacteria, good or bad compete with each other. There MIGHT be a ceiling on how many cultures can co-exist with each other, given a limited amount of food (lactose, fat, protein) in any given finite growing medium (a bowl of milk...) Let's see this URL, so we can rip it or laud it...
    Hope this helps
    Orgonium Orgone Energy Health & Well-Being Blog: Do You Know About Progurt - A Probiotic Made With Human Gut Flora

Quote Originally Posted by noodletoy View Post
    Progurt Store

15 sachets for $300? that's about a month's supply, best i can tell. are you effing kidding me?
    I know? After picking my eyes up off the floor i was just kinda keen to find out if this Human strain was genuine or not.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CuriousAdelaide View Post
    Thanks for the reply.

Perhaps you could give a link to the site that claims 420 strains?

As for "the human strain" thing... there are many probiotic bacteria that are beneficial to humans.
    I think the point of origin for the probiotic is a bit irrelevant as long as it is a beneficial strain. I also think that his "Human Probiotic Isolate™" moniker is just a fancy way of saying "all of these strains of probiotic bacteria are known to live in the human gut".

Scientists have studied many, many strains of probiotic bacteria and shown that some are beneficial for very specific things... and others are just generally great to have in you.

However, not all of these strains can live and grow well in a milk culture such as yogurt, and if they are added will simply die off, or be overwhelmed by the strains that have a preference for that environment.
    That's why some probiotic strains are mostly only found in suspended form in caplets and such... they are gown in a lab under the correct conditions... which may not include milk at all... then put through a process so that they hibernate, then encapsulated instead of being put into that foil packet that is used to make the "progurt".
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast