Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: am I losing too much weight? how do i gain weight on paleo? page

dirk41 is offline Senior Member

am I losing too much weight? how do i gain weight on paleo?

Primal Fuel
    Right now I am 5'9 and weigh 140 pounds (I am 22 years old if that matters). I've always been pretty skinny but this is the lowest I've been since probably early high school. At this time last summer, I weighed 155 pounds, which was probably my peak. I drank a ton of soda, didn't eat any vegetables or fruits, and ate a lot of junk food like potato chips. Despite all that, I was still fairly skinny. I think its just really hard for me to gain weight.

Since that time, I've made changes toward paleo and lost weight. Firstly I gave up soda. Then in February I went about 80% paleo. Then in May I went 99% paleo and I've never been better. My acne has cleared up almost completely. I'm in the best shape in my life, routinely playing basketball and doing bodyweight exercises. Yet I feel like I should weigh more.

Browsing some of the weight gain threads here, I see recommendations to eat certain carbs like potatoes and sweet potatoes. I would like to do this, but I know that eating potatoes causes my acne to flare up. It isn't nearly as bad as eating grains, but having a serving of mashed potatoes or a baked potato will cause a pimple or two. I haven't experimented with sweet potatoes yet so that might be a place to start.

I tried drinking a gallon of milk of day for week. It worked; I gained about 3 pounds but I don't think my body can digest all that milk. My BMs became loose and liquidy. But when I generally eat dairy (milk, greek yogurt, cheese) I don't seem to have any negative reactions.

What can I do to gain weight? I've been eating about 2500 calories per day (60% fat, 30% protein, 10% carbs) since going 99% paleo. I cook everything in coconut oil and douse my veggies in melted butter. I realize that I can gain weight eating carbs, but I'm worried my acne flaring up.

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Do you think you've lost muscle or fat predominantly? Even though you say you were skinny before, you may have been skinny fat, meaning your overall weight was not high, but you had little muscle mass.

Are you weight training?

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Eat more- 3000+ calories per day.
    Lift heavy things. Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.

dirk41 is offline Senior Member
    I think I was definitely skinny fat before. I don't think I've lost any muscle. I have not been weight training.

I realize that 3000 calories is probably what I need to eat but I don't know how to get there. Should I begin eating 4 meals a day?

Gadsie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirk41 View Post
    I think I was definitely skinny fat before. I don't think I've lost any muscle. I have not been weight training.

I realize that 3000 calories is probably what I need to eat but I don't know how to get there. Should I begin eating 4 meals a day?
    Well, cheese, bacon, macadamia nuts, greek yogurt with honey, fatty meat. You'll be at 3000 in no time
    Billie trips balls

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    My DH is 5'8" and 135lbs. He could stand to put on a few pounds, but is fairly muscular. To gain good weight you need to eat a ton and also lift weights. You may need to eat more often at first, but your body should eventually adjust to eating more less often.

Quote Originally Posted by Gadsie View Post
    Well, cheese, bacon, macadamia nuts, greek yogurt with honey, fatty meat. You'll be at 3000 in no time
    This. I'm a similar size and been eating primal for about 4 months. Initially I lost weight and it freaked me out. I then made an effort to up my calories to 3000 per day +/-. Since that time, I've slowly added a little weight. Not much, about 3 lbs over 4 months, but it's good weight and not overly taxing to consume enough cals. I do lift heavy things though so that helps.

I keep my carbs between 100-150 per day still. I just make sure I eat enough calories through fats and proteins.

jaffa is offline Junior Member

weight loss

Weight loss occurs when an individual is in a state of negative thermodynamic flux: when the body is exerting more energy than it is consuming, it will use stored reserves from fat or muscle, gradually leading to weight loss. Thanks.

Regards,
    hcg1234

jaffa is offline Junior Member
    Knowing who the competitors are, what pay and benefits they offer and what their work/life balance and culture are like can help to identify areas in which your organization excels. These areas can be used as points in recruitment messages that are shared through a wide range of communication media. Thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    IPC Athletics | Natural Weight Gain Pills | Weight Gainer

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post
    Eat more- 3000+ calories per day.
    Lift heavy things. Stronglifts 5x5 or Starting Strength.
    +5,944,629

Lift heavy things to build muscle. More muscle=higher weight. If you just eat more, it's probable that you'll gain fat, and most of us here aren't really interested in gaining fat. So um. Go hit the gym and lift, or do those caveman things that guys and gals do here (flip huge tires, heft kegs of beer, shovel glove, etc).

Edit: AND by all means! Stay away from the potatoes! It sounds like you're allergic and your body is speaking out loud and clear on that fact. For an occasional carb refeed I eat rice (gasp) and fruit.
    Last edited by lissee; 08-02-2012 at 05:52 AM. Reason: grammar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast