Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is happening to me? page

What is happening to me?

Shop Now

Mind you, I am not upset about these changes.......I'm just wondering how they are to be explained.

I was a carb addict with high blood sugar 20 pounds overweight, when I started primal eating six weeks ago. For the first four weeks, I felt awful with the low carb flu. I also was having horrible hypoglycemic crashes. I increased my fat intake and eliminated fruit from my diet, and the blood sugar crashes disappeared almost entirely.

After 10 days or so of stable blood sugar, I decided to try intermittent fasting, and I had no problem fasting through breakfast---something which, heretofore, would have been impossible for me. I wasn't losing weight, though, so I decided to try to cut back my calories a bit on the margins---two pieces of bacon instead of six, for example. I lost a couple of pounds.

Now all of a sudden, as of the last three days, my appetite has shrunk substantially. I can go hours between meals without getting hungry or hypoglycemic. When I do sit down to eat, I can only eat a fraction of the calories I was eating before. Then I feel full and want to stop eating.

I know that I am going to lose weight now. I can't NOT lose weight---I am consuming a fraction of the calories I was eating before.

I'm sure there is a scientific explanation for what is going on with me. Would anyone like to take a stab at what it is?

Thanks,
    Johanna Anderson

Nady is offline Senior Member
    You've become a fat burner~ congratulations!

Wow, like totally far out!

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Ketosis! It's awesome.

People get hungry when their blood sugar drops, and yours isn't dropping because your body is breaking down your fat stores and keeping you stable.

Enjoy it! And make sure you're drinking enough water and taking a multivitamin, since you're not eating as much.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

AnnCap is offline Junior Member
    Same thing happened to me about a month in. Since then I only eat one meal a day because thats the only time I really want to eat. Just listen to your body-it will tell ya what to do.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    That happened to me and my wife when we were dropping weight as well- suddenly we couldn't finish a full meal at our favorite restaurants, where we used to also have an appetizer and dessert.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Good on you then!

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    ketosis is a natural appetite suppressant.

now that you're not getting insulin crashes, your body will regulate itself and you will actually begin to feel when you are truly hungry.

it's a wonderful change, huh?
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    If you get cramps, twitchy, or can't sleep well at night, take some magnesium and potassium and drink plenty of water. Otherwise, enjoy it - what is happening is that your body (metabolism, hormones) is cooperating with your desire to lose weight instead of fighting it.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

leg cramps

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you get cramps, twitchy, or can't sleep well at night, take some magnesium and potassium and drink plenty of water. Otherwise, enjoy it - what is happening is that your body (metabolism, hormones) is cooperating with your desire to lose weight instead of fighting it.
    Funny you should mention cramps---I've been having a lot of cramps in both calves for about a week! I started eating a banana a day (my only fruit) in hopes of alleviating them. Maybe I should just supplement with potassium and magnesium.

I can't help looking in the mirror when I walk by----It's the first time in so long that I like how I look in a skirt!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast