Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What exercises/stretches to start with from being inactive for a long time? page

Matil is offline Junior Member

What exercises/stretches to start with from being inactive for a long time?

Primal Fuel
    I've been very inactive for years (lots of sitting) and my whole body is very weak and messed up (imbalanced muscles).

I don't know anything about exercising or stretching, never to been to the gym, and have no knowledge on what I need to do to use my body properly.

I've looked at the primal blueprint fitness book and read lots of articles but it all seems mostly for people who are already versed in all of this stuff.

Im already doing walking/sprinting and doing the exercises for getting into barefooting, but Im at a loss on what to do with the rest of my body.

What else should I be doing to get my whole body physically healthy? Where should I start if Ive been inactive for so long?

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    Walking is good. Hard to do wrong and good counter-action to sitting.
    How is the sprinting? I'd consider this pretty hard the body if you're not used to using it at all. Even as a pretty fit person when I started sprinting I'd get bad DOMS for a week. I needed more flexibility before that reduced to just 'good' DOMS for a day or two.

Can you start with simply pushups and body weight squats for strength?

Matil is offline Junior Member
    I only do very little sprinting, I cant last really more than a minute. I can hardly do a single pushup, a real one with my feet on the ground I mean. Is there anything simpiler I could do to build up to more conventional exercises like that? Im using a stand up workstation more and more and doing increasingly more walking each day but Im wondering how to exercise my whole body?

sandstone is offline Member
    A brilliant place to start would be with a program like Intuflow which is free on Youtube. It is a dynamic joint mobility program which can be done daily and incorporates a full body head to toe mobility program combined with breathing. It is very similar to the Z-health system (but you have to pay for that),

I am highly active and do DJM every day without fail. It will improve mobility, co-ordination, balance, breath awareness etc, etc.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Convict Conditioning (Amazon.com: Convict Conditioning: How to Bust Free of All Weakness Using the Lost Secrets of Supreme Survival Strength (9780938045762): Paul Wade: Books -- I personally like the Kindle edition, for the color pics) has a progression system for major exercises which starts from zero capability. I recommend it.

ATTAACK is offline Member
    Pushups on your knees.
    Wall pushups/stair pushups
    Squats
    Lunges
    Jumping Jacks
    Walking lunges
    Jump rope
    Lift heavy things around the house
    Yard work
    Shoulder press with a broomstick or milk jugs
    Downward Dog or Warrior Pose... or ANY Yoga pose!
    Planks

ATTAACK is offline Member
    Also, you might try this: Preparation Drill

I'm in the Army and this is a prep drill that we do daily. It is fairly easy and an excellent warm up. For someone who has been inactive this is an excellent way to get started. Oh, and it's free! My favorite is the "Bent leg body twist".

Winterbike is offline Senior Member
    If you're really clueless, invest in a good coach/trainer used to training people in your condition. It will save you a lot of wasted time and will give you a good base to start from. There's a lot of good and very awful fitness advice on the internet, and it's hard to tell the difference sometimes if you don't have anything close to a background in fitness.

zsz101 is offline Junior Member
    Hi Matil,

All of this is great advice. In addition to Convict Conditioning, I'd also recommend You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren.

Amazon.com: You Are Your Own Gym: The Bible of Bodyweight Exercises (9780345528582): Mark Lauren, Joshua Clark: Books

As for a plan to get back in shape, I'd just take it slow and try to make consistent progress. Definitely keep up all the slow movement and sprinting, but work strength training in as well. Stick to body weight exercises, at least until you feel strong enough to incorporate other exercises.

For exercise selection, keep it simple. In your situation, I would just focus on one pulling movement, one pushing movement, something for your core, and something for your legs.

For example:

Wall pushups, pull up negatives (jumping to the top of the pull up position and letting yourself down as slowly as possible), lying leg raises, and assisted squats (holding onto a wall or pole).

These movements are a good starting point for anyone, and they will build the foundation that will allow you to progress to more difficult exercises (push ups with feet elevated, regular pull ups, hanging leg raises, and single leg squatting movements.)

I think you would see progress if you perform three full body workouts a week (Monday, Wednesday, Friday) with each workout being the exercises mentioned above, or you could split them up.

Two workouts a week may be a little easier. You could do one day of push and pull and one day of core and legs.

The important part is to listen to your body. You should be feeling fantastic from your training. Definitely push yourself, but if you experience pain or constantly feel exhausted, then take a short break from training or make your regular training less intense. Getting superb results is really all about consistently applying what works for the long term.

The goal is not to bust your ass as hard as you can for a couple months with the expectation that you'll be at the peak of physical fitness. With this mindset, you'll burn yourself out after that couple months, and probably fall back into the routine of not exercising. Make your fitness and health goals lifelong goals. Slower, consistent progress is much more desirable than rapid, short-lived results.

Hope this helps! Please keep us posted on your progress. I for one, would love to hear about your progress.

ZZ

Bare is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Matil View Post
    I've been very inactive for years (lots of sitting) and my whole body is very weak and messed up (imbalanced muscles).

I don't know anything about exercising or stretching, never to been to the gym, and have no knowledge on what I need to do to use my body properly.

I've looked at the primal blueprint fitness book and read lots of articles but it all seems mostly for people who are already versed in all of this stuff.

Im already doing walking/sprinting and doing the exercises for getting into barefooting, but Im at a loss on what to do with the rest of my body.

What else should I be doing to get my whole body physically healthy? Where should I start if Ive been inactive for so long?
    This is not rocket science it's simplely our nature and it will all fall into place as if destiny. Keep on walking everyday, i recommend sprinting 1x a week depending on recovery time. Basicly keep on doing, recover. Increase intensity when you go back at it. If your eating primal and bumping up food intake on reocvery days your progressig, getting stronger and such ! But you have to start from the ground .. Then up.. Once you feel the urge to burst into additional exercises do so. Just go with the flow of your mentality, listen to your body and it will reward you ! P.S if your trying to hit the weight loss curve, decrease fat intake on training days aka walking and sprint days.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast