Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you make the bulk of your meal veggies? page

Rasputina is offline Senior Member

How do you make the bulk of your meal veggies?

Shop Now
    I feel better, and primal "wisdom" states, that the bulk of your diet should be vegetables. A salad or a veggie-filled, meat sparing soup for lunch is easy, but what do you do for dinner? I have been making a bulk of cooked greens and topping it with a couple ounces of meat on top, or on the side. What does your dinner plate look like?

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    a giant salad on half the plate, broccoli and spinach, squash and tomatoes, sweet potato and green beans
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I mean there's so many ants in my eyes! And there are so many TVs, microwaves, radios... I think, I can't, I'm not 100% sure what we have here in stock.. I don't know because I can't see anything! Our prices, I hope, aren't too low!

Quote Originally Posted by bloodorchid View Post
    a giant salad on half the plate, broccoli and spinach, squash and tomatoes, sweet potato and green beans
    That sounds great, right about NOW!!

kahiba is offline Senior Member
    I make a salad using a large handful of mixed greens, lettuce, romaine, spinach etc. Add grated carrot or beetroot, diced capsicum, cucumber. Toss all together, place on plate and decorate with slices of tomato and avocado. Add dressing of choice.

For hot vegetables I steam, bake or microwave root vegetables, onion, cauliflower, turnip, rutabagas, carrot, pumpkin or sweet potato. I cook separately as they don't take as long broccoli, cabbage, zucchini. I usually chose 5-7 different vegetables for a meal.

Lightly cook in a frypan some onion, grated carrot, and small pieces of cauliflower and broccoli. Whisk together 3-5 eggs depending on appetite and pour over. When bottom is set I add slices of tomato and grated cheese (cheese is optional), and place under the grill til the top is set and cheese melted.
    Original Goal: To lose weight. Achieved in March 2010
    Long Term Goals: To continue using Primal guidlines to improve fitness and health. To share the Primal message.

The key to successful aging is to pay as little attention to it as possible - Judith Regan

Quote Originally Posted by kahiba View Post
    I make a salad using a large handful of mixed greens, lettuce, romaine, spinach etc. Add grated carrot or beetroot, diced capsicum, cucumber. Toss all together, place on plate and decorate with slices of tomato and avocado. Add dressing of choice.

For hot vegetables I steam, bake or microwave root vegetables, onion, cauliflower, turnip, rutabagas, carrot, pumpkin or sweet potato. I cook separately as they don't take as long broccoli, cabbage, zucchini. I usually chose 5-7 different vegetables for a meal.

Lightly cook in a frypan some onion, grated carrot, and small pieces of cauliflower and broccoli. Whisk together 3-5 eggs depending on appetite and pour over. When bottom is set I add slices of tomato and grated cheese (cheese is optional), and place under the grill til the top is set and cheese melted.
    I like your baked frittata idea! I think it's great because you can incorporate so many different spices.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    There will typically be a pile of steamed green veggies, a quarter to half a sweet potato, a half sliced tomato and/or beet and/or avocado (my version of salad ha ha!)
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    make two vegetable portions with your dinner, and take big portions of each.

some ideas:
    greens (cooked in various ways)
    stirfry of mixed veg
    zucchini and onion sauteed with butter, S&P
    crudites
    salad
    mashed cauliflower
    sweet potatoes, fries or baked and mashed
    avocado (my favorite breakfast is sausage mixed with an avocado and salsa)
    fajita mix- bell peppers, onions
    spaghetti squash
    sauteed brussel sprouts with bits of bacon
    zucchini boats filled with chorizo sausage, carmelized onions, and marinara

ciep is offline Senior Member
    I like wilted spinach. I'm not sure if wilted is the right word, maybe it's sauteed? I dunno. Anyhow... I melt some butter in a frying pan and cook a ton of spinach in it (like, enough to fill a punch bowl). Once it's cooked it only takes up about half of my dinner plate.

Throw a slab of salmon or a haddock filet next to it and I'm good to go.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Ok, tonite was a quickie dinner as I skipped lunch , went for a hike & bike ride in the scorching sun, swam my laps earlier than usual this morning before a smallish breakfast, man I was HUNGRY.

1/2 lb of Georgia wild prawns, soaked in lemon juice & fresh cut thyme & basil. Just placed them in boiled water that I took off the stove, to soak in the heat while I made the BAS, with lots veggies, good portion of parmesan grated cheese I bought @ TJ's & extra heirloom 'mater from the garden. Oh yeah, small portion of last night's stewed tomatoes & onions w/ Italian seasonings. Dessert was a green mango w/ sea salt & cayenne powder mixed together & sprinkled over the slices of mango. Ate the whole thing.
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post
    Ok, tonite was a quickie dinner as I skipped lunch , went for a hike & bike ride in the scorching sun, swam my laps earlier than usual this morning before a smallish breakfast, man I was HUNGRY.

1/2 lb of Georgia wild prawns, soaked in lemon juice & fresh cut thyme & basil. Just placed them in boiled water that I took off the stove, to soak in the heat while I made the BAS, with lots of parmesan grated cheese I bought @ TJ's & extra heirloom 'mater from the garden. Oh yeah, small portion of last night's stewed tomatoes & onions w/ Italian seasonings. Dessert was a green mango w/ sea salt & cayenne powder mixed together & sprinkled over the slices of mango. Ate the whole thing.
    Can I dine with you? DAMN!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast