Thread: HIT Swimming page

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member

HIT Swimming

Primal Fuel
    I have a 22,000 gallon pool and was going to try some hit on and off but I don't really know the specifics of it. I know you go all out for a certain amount of time and than rest, but I don't know how much time for either. Also should I go all out for a certain time and than stop? Or just swim around slowly during the breaks...

Thanks for any and all advice.
    Height: 6'1"
    Primal start date: July 1st 2011
    Start Weight: 275
    Current Weight: 248
    Stats below as of September 1st 2011 Tested via BodPod
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)
    Total lost so far: 27 lbs

Leida is offline Senior Member
    The way I do my sprints in the pool, is I pit my triathlon fins on, and swim about 500 m to warm up. Then I do the 25 m length front crawl boiling water around me like a school of sharks is behind me. Then I swim slowly back. Rinse and repeat 7 to 10 more times, till I can't keep up at max effort. Then I cool down for another 500 m or so, do a few dives, and do a steam room/cold shower. But beware of stepping in the steam room too soon after sprints. I got stupid once and HR just went wild and I almost fainted.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

Guess I'll have to look up how long 500 m is....I was thinking I would just do a timing thing where I swim hard for x seconds than go slow for x seconds rather than using distance...but maybe that would be better hmm.
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087
    Goal weight: 180-200 lbs(Recommended weight is around 180 for my height but that sounds low)

Leida is offline Senior Member
    It's just a metric length of a pool. Basically, the standard pool is 25 m one way, 2x (a lap) is 50 m. So, I do 10 laps to warm up. I find it hard to time precisely when I swim, and I always trained by distance when i was young, with coach giving us 400 m that or 200 m that....

When I run, I do time.

Also, one of the perfectly good HIIT methods is to go till you can't no more, than swim/walk/whatever till you can again. I do that for my grass sprints since I run on the field, and I am not really trying to get the time of each sprint or anything like that, just max exertion.
    My Journal: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread57916.html
    When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be.

I meant I'd have to go look up how much that is in Feet. As they still teach feet and inches in the United States heh. I think they actually do pool lengths in meters even in the United States but I never did any swimming in school. I've seen meters to feet conversions before but don't remember. I can look it up easy enough though.

I think my pool was 13.5 feet length..though I can't remember for sure. You are obviously much more fit than I...I can't imagine doing 25 meters at a fast pace.

The go as hard as you can for as long as you can than break till you can do it again sounds good. Do you stop after a set amount of time with that setup though? I suppose you could just go like that till you feel you can't do anymore at a decent rate.
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 07-28-2012 at 11:00 AM.
    Body Fat 25.4%
    Fat Mass 63.721
    Fat Free Mass 74.6%
    Fat Free Mass 187.087

eisenreich is offline Member
    At this point I would recommend just going by feel and not worry about the specifics. Alternate between swimming hard and swimming slower to recover. You'll find that your endurance will increase faster than you'd expect.

Also, form is extremely important in the pool. Check out this excellent site for the breakdown of proper stroke mechanics:
    Swimming Technique: Animations & Articles From Experts Swim Smooth

fire50 is offline Junior Member
    Yes swimming hard and swimming slower is doesn't matter but the matter is how much time you spent in water for floating.

surfboard rentals gold coast
    Last edited by fire50; 01-05-2013 at 05:15 AM.

UFNut is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    I meant I'd have to go look up how much that is in Feet. As they still teach feet and inches in the United States heh. I think they actually do pool lengths in meters even in the United States but I never did any swimming in school. I've seen meters to feet conversions before but don't remember. I can look it up easy enough though.

I think my pool was 13.5 feet length..though I can't remember for sure. You are obviously much more fit than I...I can't imagine doing 25 meters at a fast pace.

The go as hard as you can for as long as you can than break till you can do it again sounds good. Do you stop after a set amount of time with that setup though? I suppose you could just go like that till you feel you can't do anymore at a decent rate.
    Note that I was a competitive swimmer in my younger years, for about 12 years.

I'm hoping that 13.5 feet is a major mistype, thats like 2.5 body lengths if you're a short person . Most US pools are 25 yards for YMCA or public city pools, 50 meters for competitive/olympic pools. Most pools in your backyard are roughly 8-10meters, and not really worthwhile for training, especially if you progress w/ skill or technique.

Simply for simplicity a meter is roughly 10% more than a yard, so 3.3 feet in 1 meter. I usually just use 3 feet if it doesn't really matter, easier conversion.

If you want to do this for training I suggest using a city/public pool suitable for lap swimming. I'd also suggest you learn to swim and use proper technique, flailing around (which is what most people who aren't good swimmers do when they trying to swim with "high intensity") may be calorie burning, but potentially damaging to your joints, even if swimming is low impact. Not saying you can't get worthwhile workout in your backyard for free, but it's pretty limiting. Backyard pools are for playing, not training .