Thread: Hiking, Weight Gain, and Lack of Sunburn page

cdelei is offline Junior Member

Question Hiking, Weight Gain, and Lack of Sunburn

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm only approx 3 weeks old to the paleo/primal diet. I've only had one slip-up, which won't happen again (the havoc it caused my stomach taught me a valuable lesson!). I'm looking to be all around healthier. Of course, I need to drop weight, but I don't make that my primary goal because I don't want to obsess about and focus only on that.

My fiance and I went on an 8 mile hike yesterday. It was AMAZING! It was also very tough for me, and somewhat like a typical day at work for him (very active Marine). As tough as it was, I loved it! I don't think I could have done it had I not felt as good as I do lately by eating this way, and with some weight loss. We went and bought some proper hiking boots for me right after the hike, so I can break them in a little before our next one. I LOVE my new boots...oh my goodness I love them!

Ok, on to my question: is it normal to gain weight after a hike? Normally when I do cardio, I see weight loss. I also "lift heavy things" about 3x per week. But using my whole body like during this hike is more align with putting it through strenuous activity for several hours, rather than my normal exercise. So, would an extra 4 lbs be water retention or glycogen build-up in my muscles? (I think the correct term is glycogen, sorry if I'm totally wrong) If there's someone out there who might be able to explain, I'd really appreciate it! But no worries, 4 lbs is not going to derail me from sticking with it!

Also, I realized when we got home that I never reapplied sunscreen. Neither did my fiance. He eats dinners with me, but doesn't follow the diet during the day. He fried in the sun. Having a VERY fair complexion, that's normally my story. I barely even have tan lines. This is literally the first time in my life that I didn't burn. Mark talks about this, but I guess I didn't believe it! Is this a common (good) side effect for people??

mike_h is offline Senior Member
    When there's a sudden change in weight, like 4lb in a day, IMO it's pretty much impossible for it to be a "real" change.
    i.e. I don't think anyone can gain or lose 4lb of muscle or fat that fast without using a scalpel.

So whatever it is, water, food, glycogen I wouldn't worry about it. Look for patterns over a longer time scale.

And yes glycogen is glucose stored in the muscle and liver, but you can't really build up those stores beyond 'full'. It's a lot more common for them to be near-full than near-depleted.

Richardmac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike_h View Post
    When there's a sudden change in weight, like 4lb in a day, IMO it's pretty much impossible for it to be a "real" change.
    i.e. I don't think anyone can gain or lose 4lb of muscle or fat that fast without using a scalpel.

So whatever it is, water, food, glycogen I wouldn't worry about it. Look for patterns over a longer time scale.

And yes glycogen is glucose stored in the muscle and liver, but you can't really build up those stores beyond 'full'. It's a lot more common for them to be near-full than near-depleted.
    I would fully agree with this. Could have been down to your bodies lack of ability at that time (due to heat etc) to absorb the water you were taking in. Iv seen people on distance events in the heat take salt tablets to enable their bodies to absorb the water.

Are you using MArks LHT training 3x a week? I thought he advocated twice?

Richard

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Whenever I have a workout that is a lot more difficult than the norm for me, I hold water the next day. I'm not sure why, I haven't looked into the science of it, but yes, I gain weight. For me, it usually lasts a couple days, then it goes away.

owenscott is offline Junior Member
    It isn't four pounds of fat or muscle. its just a variation of you ... its all good. Yes i do vote water. Thats really on a few glasses of water comparative over time. Id expect the body to keep some extra fluid on hand to help repair from the exercise it did yesterday.