Thread: Question about weight gain and lifting page

dragonjax is offline Senior Member

Question about weight gain and lifting

Primal Fuel
    If I recall correctly, it's somewhat normal to gain some weight when first starting weightlifting. Is that right? If so, how long does it take the body to adjust to the new routine? (And will the day-after soreness/aching also either go away or be greatly reduced? When I get out of bed, I swear that I magically turned 88 overnight.)

In terms of what I'm doing, I just bumped up my CF from twice a week to three times, which is what I'd like to do going forward. Two days are strength training (focusing on one lift) with a warmup and sometimes a post-lifting exercises (effing burpees) and one day is HIIT. (I also do tae kwon do three times each week, and I've just begun walking in the morning as well.)

Thanks in advance...

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    I think it's kind of a function of what you're doing lift wise and how you maybe eating afterwards for immediate weight gains. You lift, muscles micro-tear and the body retains fluid to aid them in repairing. You eat carbs and protein to aid recovery and replenish glycogen stores afterwards, this also causes water retention for digestion. Finally, you are either lifting and eating to gain muscle or lifting to reduce muscle loss while losing fat and improving body composition. This can cause weight gain if bulking to get stronger because your eating and lifting is adding both muscle and fat, or you are getting leaner and slimmer while losing weight slowly or not at all because your percentage of muscle that makes up your body composition is increasing and the less dense fat percentage that used to provide more of the overall composition, is decreasing.

Recovery afterwards is a combination of resting, eating, activity and treatment. Athlete's and programs will work to shorten or speed up the repair/recovery process as much as possible to get back to working out. Massage, ice baths, whirlpools even steroids are types of treatment. Rest is rest. Diet is targeted to accomplish the goal of the workout. Increasing girth, strength, power, speed, endurance or becoming leaner etc. As you gain strength (if that's the goal), you'll be lifting heavier weights to keep improving and will need more recovery and rest than you did when you were beginning and lifting lighter. For endurance, I think it is the opposite. You are able to do more going for a longer period of time and able to get back at it sooner because of the adaptations. The muscles and connective tissues are used to the running / whatever and don't get as damaged by the activity so the repair is faster and the athlete is able to get to the next workout quicker then the couch to 5k person starting a program.
    Last edited by pace2race; 07-28-2012 at 06:39 AM.