Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sauerkraut SUCCESS with the Harsch crock page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Sauerkraut SUCCESS with the Harsch crock

Shop Now
    The title makes it sound as though I haven't managed to make successful kraut before - I have. It has always worked OK. But this was the first time with this crock, and I didn't once have to lift the lid to check if there was kahm yeast forming - just left it to get on with fermenting.

I actually left the cabbage to ferment for a month - bottled it up yesterday and put it in the fridge. It is super - the best yet. I want to get some tiny gherkins and give them a go!

Best thing I've bought for AGES - I got the 5 litre crock and it is heaps big enough for 2 of us.

lissee is offline Senior Member
    Yay!!! congrats!

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    bottled it up yesterday and put it in the fridge. It is super - the best yet. I want to get some tiny gherkins and give them a go!
    Well done! And, good luck! I hate regular cabbage and have to put vinegar on it to take the taste away, but like pickled red cabbage so I may give sauerkraut a go.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    I can remember my mom using a big crock. I think I remember pickles in it? I dont have one but I was just going to try the jars. However now I am thinking I will go the second hand shop and see what they have. I went for tennis rackets the other day for the grandkids and I think I saw one. Well one of the white-ish ones?

Good job and thanks for the info!
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I am having fun with little jars and hope to move up to crocks someday. I want to make sure it will be a constant in my life, though, before investing. Right now I have sauerkraut, garlic and beets doing their thing. Ginger carrots are next on my list.

Quote Originally Posted by Sabine View Post
    I am having fun with little jars and hope to move up to crocks someday. I want to make sure it will be a constant in my life, though, before investing. Right now I have sauerkraut, garlic and beets doing their thing. Ginger carrots are next on my list.
    I like then idea of ginger carrots. Do you have a recipe??

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    I am trying the one in 'Nourishing Traditions' by Sally Fallon and Mary Enig, which follows their basic formula of 1T sea salt plus 2T whey to approx 4C grated carrot + 1T grated ginger. Pound until liquid is released, pack into a jar, top with filtered water if necessary to cover, and let sit.

Their book has a lot of interesting information- it is definitely one I'll be buying. For those who don't know, they follow Weston Price's guidelines, so there is plenty of stuff on grains and legumes, as well as recipes that fit right into primal.

OK - got the book already! I just wasn't sure about using whey - it might alter the flavour?

Piscator is offline Senior Member
    I've been eyeing those crocks, but they're soooo pricey. The Ohio crocks are comparitively cheap - but I really like that trough style lid on the Harsch. Have you tried the regular Ohio crocks?

Quote Originally Posted by Piscator View Post
    I've been eyeing those crocks, but they're soooo pricey. The Ohio crocks are comparitively cheap - but I really like that trough style lid on the Harsch. Have you tried the regular Ohio crocks?
    I have used a stoneware crock that looks very like the ohio - it is what I used until I got my Harsch crock. It was fine, but there was always the fiddle of checking to see if it was developing scum (kahm yeast, I think) and the harsh crock just takes away any doubts. A reasonably big outlay, yes, but spread over the rest of my life - it works out insignificant.

I was able to make a really good sauerkraut with less salt than usual, and it tastes super. In the other crock, I wouldn't have risked less salt.

Next batch will have garlic, onion and carrot as well as cabbage. "Wild Fermentation" suggests experimenting - and I'm game for that!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast