Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: opinions?? page

yak rider Guest

i have been following the primal blueprint for the last few years and am pleased with my health/life/etc etc. i really appreciate mark's simplistic and realistic approach and the positive manner in which he approaches this life style.

i do follow mark's food pyramid although without measuring and stressing over it. i do on rare occasions (once a week or so) cheat with some chocolate or raw sugar in the morning coffee etc.

i have been reading a bit more on other sites such as panu and hyperlidids etc and some other bloggers really come down hard on eating fruits and veggies. I typically eat a fair amount of fruit, apple, berries, banana etc in the morning. i eat a little lunch usually a chicken breast or shrimp or left over beef etc with some carrots,celery, broc. and then for supper usually have a large salad including leafy greens and onions and carrot and broc sprouts and cuke etc etc along with a piece of meat or seafood. all grains and starches, as i understand them, have been eliminated.

my hope is to get some blunt and simple opinions as to whether you feel the fruits and veggies should be cut back and or eliminated? i'm not a chem/bio/overly scientific type person so simplicity suits me the best. even when i read the two above blogs i quickly loose interest in the sea of scientific terms and equations etc.

if i cut out fruits and veggies i am left with meat and eggs and meat and some cheese and meat and ......... well you get the idea.

i really would just like to do what is best and get a very elementary and pedestrian answer as to why to keep or eliminate fruits and veggies would be greatly appreciated. i really don't understand all the functions of kidney and liver and the lipids and all the "oses" associated with the fruits and their kind.

thanks in advance to anyone who might answer my question. yak rider

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

Every study I have ever looked at shows vegetables to be health-supporting. (Even factoring in nightshades and goitrogens).

If you ate every meal with your base layer being vegetables, then the next rung being your meat, fish, fowl, or eggs, then finally healthy fat, you'd be good for life.

Fruit is another story. There's lots of fructose (sugar) in modern fruits, so I would stick 1 or 2 servings at most of berries or melons.

My .02 cents.

Sooze

Fury22 is offline Senior Member

^^Agreed with above 100%.

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

JohnOTD is offline Member

@yak rider

I'm new to all of this so take my thoughts with a grain of salt.

The ONLY reason to cut down on veggies or cut them out is if you are trying to go VLC or ZC. I have been reading over at PaNu as well and I saw a post of his that said carbs are unnecessary. However, if you read his post "what I eat" you'll see that he consumes carbs (from veggies, nuts, etc).

When it comes to fruit, Sooze hit the nail on the head.

So it comes down to what your goals are and what you prefer. I started two weeks ago and i have been consuming veggies and the occasional nuts and fruits. My personal goal however is to try a VLC (almost ZC) diet. I intend to eat nothing but pemmican and coconut milk for six months and see how my body responds.

www.primalfreedom.blogspot.com

If a man has the right to self-ownership, to the control of his life, then in the real world he must also have the right to sustain his life by grappling with and transforming resources; he must be able to own the ground and the resources on which he stands and which he must use. In short, to sustain his human right. - Murray Rothbard

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member

Y'know, everyone's so down on fruit here but if you read the Primal Blueprint Mark himself is not; he eats plenty of fruit, lists his favorite fruits (definitely not just berries!) and those to watch. I find a lot of online primal/paleo commentary really extremist in this way. Yes to watching portions given how sugary today's fruits are, but fruit has lots of micronutrients as well. Apples, for example, are full of good stuff and high on Mark's list; as a smaller person I eat *half* an apple very frequently.

Fury22 is offline Senior Member

I eat a good bit of fruit as well. Granted, I'm more active than a lot of people, but I usually tend to eat fruit twice a day. I think fruit twice a day is fine. Usually it's a fruit salad as follows:

Chopped Green Apple

Chopped Strawberries

Blueberries/Blackberries/Raspberries (which ever is on sale!)

Sometimes I'll throw in some other fruit. For instance, a friend left a bag of grapes in the fridge. But that is the usual serving. I eat that about twice a day (breakfast & pre-training). I don't think it's going overboard. If you are worried about it, try smaller portions or leave out really high carb fruits like bananas or the softball-sized apples.

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

one_eye_mike Guest

I try to stick with low carb fruits like certain varities of apples and starwberries and stay away from the bananas and grapes.

yak rider Guest

well thanks for all the comments. i just read on other blogs all the negatives of eating fruits (sugars) and veggies (the plants arm themselves with chemicals to ward off predators and then we eat those "natural" defense chemicals,are bad that it is confusing to me. many also offer up many studies and scientific going ons that it makes me wonder.

anyway, thanks again for the responses and please jump on board.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

I agree with PrimalWannabe. Vegetables: great. Fruit: great, in moderation.

Our modern varieties are simply too big, too sweet and too readily available. If you're trying to lose weight, then try to limit fruit to a couple of servings per week. If you're maintaining, then by all means be more liberal and enjoy, just maybe not every single day.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

primalpatty is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm a newbie, but I imagine it would depend on your goals and your sensitivity to sugars in your diet. If your blood sugars remain stable and you are on track with your weight, there's probably no reason not to eat both fruit and veggies, with an eye to how your body reacts. I suspect that Grok woulda if he coulda.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast