Thread: preventing dehydration when it comes to alcohol consumption help page

brandau is offline Junior Member

preventing dehydration when it comes to alcohol consumption help

Shop Now
    so i want to help prevent/lessen the affect alcohol has on my body in terms of dehydration. i was thinking of adding some more salt into my diet the day i am going to be consuming alcohol as well as maybe some other electrolytes such as potassium and magnesium.

does this sound good? as in would it actually help?
    thanks!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    no. no it won't. you'll need to drink more water and less alcohol.

isn't that sort of obvious? in fact, since alcohol is a diuretic, and you'll be pissing out more water anyway, there's no point in taking in additional sodium. bass akwards, in fact.

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Salt also actually dehydrates the body.
    Yes, it causes fluid retention short term, but ultimately excess salt is flushed from the system by the cells releasing more water in order to accomplish the task. You need more water to balance the amount of sodium.
    Double whammy because alcohol does the same sort of thing.
    This is why people tend to feel extra bad after a drinking bout and also eating super salty foods.

How about just drinking extra water along with the alcohol consumption... to hydrate yourself.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    When I order drinks, I always ask for a glass of water too. So for every drink of alcohol I have, I am also downing a glass of water. I have to pee a lot, but I never have a hangover.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

brandau is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the info guys! Much appreciated!

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    When I order drinks, I always ask for a glass of water too. So for every drink of alcohol I have, I am also downing a glass of water. I have to pee a lot, but I never have a hangover.
    This is solid advice. I have forgotten to do this in some recent years and always suffered for it. When I do it I feel fine.

It also helps you slow down because you have to take the time to drink the water.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jojohaligo View Post
    this.

it also helps to order water first, and drink at least one glass before you get the booze going. keep water going at least one-for-one after that.

if you are eating low-carb beware, that you likely have become a very cheap date.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    I also do the glass of water with every drink...and I hardly ever get hungover. My skin always gets rid and dry and peely though when I drink, does anyone know of a way to prevent that?