Thread: Longevity - cumulative nutrition or daily effects? page

Knifegill is offline Senior Member

Longevity - cumulative nutrition or daily effects?

Primal Fuel
    I was reading about how beets lower blood pressure and it got me thinking. If a person who would have had high blood pressure grows up eating beets daily, he may never suffer the problem. Another person might exist who eats whole foods and has the same condition (say it's genetic, not environmental, etc.) and gets all his micronutrient needs met, but simply misses out on beets, ends up with high blood pressure and dies early in spite of eating well.

I'm just wondering, how many of us might be clinging tightly to one food that keeps us in check without knowing it? I love my green apples for their life-extending properties, but what if they are also doing something else I am unaware of? Some other gnawing reason I simply MUST have them?

Clearly it's ridiculous to suggest that any given food will benefit an entire population, but there must be some regional genepools that have come to rely on local vegetation, right? Did my ancestors grow up in apple forests and develop a physiological trait that meant apples need to be consumed regularly?

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Paleobird Guest
    Since there is no way to know that it is beets (just a f'rinstance) , I think the key is variety. That way you will be sure to get some of "it" whatever it may be.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Your very question is why I never pay much attention to those "food X gives you all these benefits" reports. There really is no singular magic food without which your life will be shortened.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

otzi Guest
    It's easy to get caught up in the supplement game this way, too. I was reading up on Resveratrol a couple years ago and thought that was the missing link and everyone needs to be getting it. I took Resvertrol pills faithfully for a long time, then ran out and never got any more. Now, I get my resveratrol from dark chocolate and wine every now and then.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Your very question is why I never pay much attention to those "food X gives you all these benefits" reports. There really is no singular magic food without which your life will be shortened.
    Aside from the fat and organs of grass-fed ruminants, I agree with this statement.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Like Paleobird, I think variety is the key. Good meat, fish & eggs and all sorts of different types of plants, fruits, nuts, roots and tubers that will make up a well rounded diet. Not only that, just think of all those delicious different tastes!
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.