Thread: Pain- in bones??? Help, please. page

Imogen is offline Senior Member

Pain- in bones??? Help, please.

Primal Fuel
    Hi everyone.

I do not workout. Ever. What I do is consistent movement in the form of walking, climbing stairs, chores, etc.... I dance, too. I don't workout because of adrenal and thyroid insufficency, but when I feel like I can, I do push-ups, dance with more enthusiasm and movement, and I'm also working on doing a pull-up. Yes, just one. I can pull mysef up half-way and hold there for about ten seconds. I am recovering from a 4" diastis with hernia from 8 pregnancies (separation of ab muscles and loss of belly-button where the hernia then was), and have just closed it up to under 1/2", and the hernia has receded. The muscle fibre there is very, very thin, but it's holding my abdomen together, so this is fabulous!

My question regards lifting heavy things. Since my hernia receded, I have gained a lot of strength that I didn't have before. I am 5'7" and for several weeks, was able to lift a 20 litre jug, full of water, up to my shoulder level, directly in front of me, and place it on its stand 1 foot away from my chest. I hope this explanation conveys the action I am doing. I usually do this twice each day for our water supply. Additionally, I am regularly lifting children, wet laundry, and other water-filled basins, furniture, and whatnot throughout the day. As I wrote, I am moving about 90% of my day, from 8am until about 9pm, and then I try to rest.

Last week, when I lifted the jug I mentioned above, I felt a pain that ran like a skinny knife through my radius and ulna at the same time (forearm bones), as though it were right through the bones themselves from my elbow to my wrist. I suspect that it is a soft-tissue thing, since the likelihood of fracturing both at the very same time is little to none, but I also remember the feeling of fracturing my shin, and then the other a few days later, when I used to jog on pavement every day. It feels like that. And since that day, I feel it every time I lift the jugs. I tried getting closer to the stand to strain my bones less, and that seemed to help, but what a strange posture to do that. I am leaning so that my torso is part-way onto the countertop while avoiding hitting my head on the cupboards. Imagine. Lovely.

I have very slender forearms, but they are are not "tube-arms"; they have some muscular definition. Is this just too much weight? Or is it just the strain from the weird action? Is it possible that I could have fractured both bones doing something I'd been doing already for weeks?

What can I do to strengthen my forearms that doesn't involve straining them more? I thought the heavy-lifting of these jugs was accomplishing just that, but apparently not because now it is very painful to do (and I still have to do it because we still need to use water in the sink), and it feels like my arm is going to snap in half.

My stats:
    *35 yrs old, breastfeeding and/or pregnant for the past 10 years with 3 months break, once.
    *recovering from chronic illness derived of adrenal and thyroid insufficiency, and continuous sleep-deprivation
    *paleo (strict) for 19 months- heavy fat and protein, under 50 gms of carbs/day (not restrictive- it's actually hard for me to eat even that much; usually I eat between 15 and 35, to taste)
    *5'7"
    *about 135 lbs; I don't own a scale, but I've lost since I last weighed in at 140, but gained muscle so this is a guess, but not too far off- I wear several sizes smaller in clothing now.

Thanks for any advice and opinions on this. I am willing to do isolated workouts to help weak parts of my body; just not full-body workouts. I am more looking forward to natural movement in the woods once I can run without tanking my adrenals, and calisthenics to supplement.

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    You might consider an alternative - possibly pinching a nerve a bit. Google Image Result for http://www.eorthopod.com/sites/default/files/images/shoulder_anatomy_nerves01.jpg - notice how the nerves run along/very near the bones.

ellacofino is offline Junior Member
    As you know, frequent walking or jogging can cause your bones or joint sick. Our bones on knees are rubbed every time we do walking or jogging. So it is not good to do that frequently.

otzi Guest
    Bone pain is a symptom of Vitamin D deficiency. The old doctor's office test was to push on the shin bone with a hard object, if light pressure cause pain, Vit D was suspected. Just a thought.

Living in Northern Canada automatically puts you at risk for Vit D deficiency. Get it tested and bring it up to top of reference range.

Thanks for these suggestions. I forgot to mention that I take up to 20,000 IU of D3 in MCTs (medium chain triglycerides), and my frequent walking is just for the usual daytime activities, not for working out. I haven't done the chronic cardio or jogging since the shin fractures, which happened 17 years ago.

Interesting about pinched nerves. I've been trying to figure it out a bit today, since I found i hurt to push a sticking drawer closed, too. I'm starting to think it's ligaments or tendons next to the bones, and not the bones themselves, because I can feel the pain move along.

I also switched to magnesium oil just recently after realising that I am not properly absorbing any form of Mg by mouth. So, I am wondering if I am just feeling the opening of my bones to accept the Mg. This also happened, now that I recall, when I began taking D3 a year ago- same pain, same triggers.

I have not had any lab work done. I m relying on high dosages of D3 and body-signals for now. In a few months, we'll be moving to a more populous area where if I use the mail for lab work, it will actually get to the place I send it, and in less than two weeks' time.

I bet it's the Mg oil + D3 working properly again. Ugh. I need to move to Mexico. Lol.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    How is your calcium intake? If your body was having issues with magnesium absorption, then you likely were not utlizing calcium sufficiently either since that's needed to help. Your bones could be weakening from missing these nutrients, especially with the strain of prolonged pregnancy and breastfeeding. I would definitely get some blood work done to see where you are and if you're missing anything. Otherwise, I would get some help for a few days to see if that makes you feel better. If you've been pregnant/nursing for 10yrs, you would perhaps have a 9yo that could help out?

That's a question I hadn't considered. I really don't know how much calcium I ingest, and you're right that if my Mg was lacking, so was my calcium!!! Ooops!!! I'll have to check into my calcium intake.

I really prefer not to take supplements because historically, my body has a limit to how long it will accept nutrients in isolation before I get ill from them in some way or another. I have not been eating bone broth lately, because it finally warmed up and I don't like having a constant heat source going, but there's no way that getting some bones going again could do anything but benefit me, so I'll do that and see if there's improvement.

I don't tolerate dairy, either, so it's never going to come from that source. Thanks for mentioning this; I'll look into it immediately.

ETA: My 9 year old is very, very helpful- actually all of my 5 children are- but none of them can lift a water jug up to the height of the stand on the countertop, and two of them together wouldn't fit int the space. I could figure out a better system, but we're preparing to move, and a new system would take a significant re-structuring of the kitchen, which at this point is definitely not preferable to fixing my arm-issue.
    Last edited by Imogen; 07-28-2012 at 04:52 PM. Reason: bacon

I just thought of something. I take 2 tsp of Himalayan sea salt in 1/2 cup of water every morning. I can't imagine that I'm not getting enough minerals into my body, but whether or not I'm absorbing them certainly is questionable at this point.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Okay, so I eat lots of calcium-rich foods: almonds, seaweed, other greens (even wild- lamb's quarters grown in Yukon, very mineral-rich silty soil), hazelnuts, blackstrap molasses, Himalayan sea salt, fish with bones- canned, and usually bone broths from game animals (but I haven't for the past two months, so I'm on that tomorrow).

Now I need to know if the co-factors are in place, and presumably, as my body takes up the Mg oil, my calcium uptake should increase. It may be that this is what is causing the pain. My bones used to flex like a new baby's, but now they are hard and don't, so obviously this has been an issue for me. That they are hard now is a sign of improvement, too.