Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First week - effects of going primal page

waterjen is offline Member

First week - effects of going primal

Primal Fuel
    All --
    This post has two points. First to see if others have had similar experiences in their first week of going primal as I have had.
    • Lost 5 lbs
    • Having trouble going to sleep at night (big change)
    • Not sleeping solidly through the night (big change)
    • Waking twice in the middle of the night with a piercing headache -- location, top of skull -- for an hour or so (cannot remember ever waking to a headache before that didn't involve a hangover or a pressure change with storms on the way)
    • Having trouble waking up in the morning (no change)
    • Feeling full longer, eating perhaps one meal or two meals a day (as a veg, I was eating brekkie/lunch/dinner plus two or three snacks and was still starved in between meals)
    • Lack of concern over when my next meal will be (see my comments about being a veghead before)
    • Overwhelming urge to read all blogs primal/paleo
    • Spending a ton on meat types I've never used before
    • Feel like it's easier to breathe in my lungs than usual -- for comparison, the improvement is prolly on a par with when I quit smoking a pack a day 12 years ago
    • Despite ease of lung breathing, there is a lot of congestion in the nose/throat/head (continued, nothing new -- was hoping eliminating grains and dairy and sugar would eliminate it but not so or not yet)
    • Some aches and pains to be associated with and expected from starting a fitness program (2 days of LHT and 1 day of sprints in this first week) plus the bruises on my arm after I tried to break into the car through the driver window because I lost my car key during the sprint session
    • Weird breath
    • And what, precisely, is this carb-flu or whatever it is that everyon talks about going through when they go primal/paleo?

For the record, I think I'm pretty good on fat/protein/carb. No dairy (not even butter this week). No cheating. And yes, I do have more weight to lose, so I'm working to stay in the 50-100 carb/day zone.

The second point is to ask this:
    What do you wish you had known your first week or month of going primal/paleo that would have helped you?
    Thanks in advance!
    Cheers,
    Jen.

ATTAACK is offline Member
    Eat some fat and increase your carbs just a bit. You'll sleep better and feel better. The weight will still come off; there is no need to suffer.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    The Ketogenic Diet: Maximum Fat Burning

Or dive in a bit deeper & go lower carb/high high fat & see how that works &/or feels to you...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATTAACK View Post
    Eat some fat and increase your carbs just a bit. You'll sleep better and feel better. The weight will still come off; there is no need to suffer.
    Word.. don"t shy away from the butter.

Regarding butter... Well, as a veg, I used quite a lot of butter and olive/coconut oil. What I didn't use was ... BACON. That's what I've been using this week. Ah, the novelty of it! So I'm not particularly avoiding butter, I'm just enjoying some flavors I'd deprived myself of for years!

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post

Or dive in a bit deeper & go lower carb/high high fat & see how that works &/or feels to you...

Thanks for the link but why can't I copy and paste that info? And why is the font so large? I can't change that either.

Betorq is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tapper47 View Post
    Thanks for the link but why can't I copy and paste that info? And why is the font so large? I can't change that either.
    As to the font, I dunno... It looks fine, ie normal to me.
    Some pdf's are copy-protected. ie they have imbedded software in them, to prevent people from doing what you're trying to do. Might I suggest printing it out? Or just save it to your desktop or other folder you prefer...
    "Science is not belief but the will to find out." ~ Anonymous
    "Culture of the mind must be subservient to the heart." ~ Gandhi
    "The flogging will continue until morale improves." ~ Unknown

tapper47 is offline Senior Member
    I can't save either unless I bookmark it so I just googled and got the original. Turns out I had read it before.

Age catching up I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Betorq View Post

Thanks for the tip, and the link. The article cleared up some things for me. For the record, I was able to do a save-as on the PDF, for the poster who was having trouble saving it.

Gilleh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by waterjen View Post
    All --
    This post has two points. First to see if others have had similar experiences in their first week of going primal as I have had.
    • Having trouble going to sleep at night (big change)
    • Not sleeping solidly through the night (big change)
    • Waking twice in the middle of the night with a piercing headache -- location, top of skull -- for an hour or so (cannot remember ever waking to a headache before that didn't involve a hangover or a pressure change with storms on the way)
    • Having trouble waking up in the morning (no change)
    • Despite ease of lung breathing, there is a lot of congestion in the nose/throat/head (continued, nothing new -- was hoping eliminating grains and dairy and sugar would eliminate it but not so or not yet)
    • And what, precisely, is this carb-flu or whatever it is that everyon talks about going through when they go primal/paleo?

Thanks in advance!
    Cheers,
    Jen.
    The head aches you get are the carb-flu.
    I don't know how old are you, but if you expect that 7 days of clean eating will fix you right up.. You're wrong.
    Body takes time to adjust. It also takes longer time to heal from years of whatever poison you've (and most of us) been munching on..
    Good luck, hang in there, reopen a thread in a month!
    Everything is bad for something - How do you feel today?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast